Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building a house - I have questions please help!!

• 17-09-2009 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi All, first I am new here as you'll no doubt see. If this is in the wrong section I apologise.

I am looking to build my own house, its also my first home. Have been renting for awhile and have decided that now is the time to build.

I have land sorted and am waiting on word back on planning premission (at the pre-planning stage).

I was just wondering, what is the going rate per sq ft for a green field site? I've looked on a few websites but have had no luck getting any sort of coherent figure. I've talked to a few people and I've been told by one person €60 per sq ft others have said €80 and another guy said anywhere between €105 - €120 per sq ft.

As I say I'm just looking for a bit of guidence here so any help would be much appreciated.

Also as I am still in the pre planning stage I havent had to submit a final set of plans, so if any one knows a good website with some good designs please let me know, I have a plan in my head but nothing set in stone.

Cheers in advance.

JTR

Edit - sorry forgot to add I'm in Dublin and so is the piece of Land I want to build on.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Moved from the Accommodation and Property forum- you'll probably get a better response here. SMcCarrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

I am halfway through a 2500sqft build up to the roof.

Firstly some planning ideas here http://www.irish-house-plans.com/

The cost to build can be anything from €60 up to hundreds of euro per sq ft.

In my example:
    Basic block build to builders finish - €75sqft (had quotes from €56 up to €140)

I wanted ICF, concrete floors, alu clad windows, extra insulation and this raised the builders finish to €84sqft

We have since identified that we want a woodburner/backboiler & thermal store, HRV, solar etc. This took the price up to €92sqft.

Additional electric/plumbing requirements - extra sockets, lights on our gallery, stair lights, extra lights, CAT 6 network. Takes price up to €98sqft.

Fit out - We have now priced everything up to finish the build like kitchen (26k), floors (wallnut & marble 22k), lighting, bathrooms and all of this takes it up to €128sqft

You should be able to see that the spec is quite high and the costs soon add up from the basic quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Im taking a lazy (but helpful) way here first to show you the different threads you will find by typing "building costs" into the search box.

Building in Dublin is going to be about the dearest place you can find. There were other threads here and for a builders finish the prices would have been in the region of €70 - €100 per sq. foot around the country.

sinnerboy will probably give you a better idea but Id think (only guessing here) that you will probably pay €130 - €140/ft2.

Going down the direct labour route would probably shave 15% - 20% off that figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JTR

First I'd like to say thanks to you all for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

Leadership - thanks for the link and the advise

muffler - thanks for the links to the other threads. Am still getting use to the search function.

Again guys thanks a million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

muffler wrote: »
    sinnerboy will probably give you a better idea but Id think (only guessing here) that you will probably pay €130 - €140/ft2.

Going down the direct labour route would probably shave 15% - 20% off that figure.

Site costs can vary hugely depending on the location in Dublin - you have that sorted though ?

Build costs -
    For builders finish Muffler would be correct . That is - finished with plastered not painted walls internal or external , kitchens , bathrooms + floor finishes excluded . These will bring the total closer €200 / ft 2 . And that cost rises further if you go beyond a very basic spec for external works . Electrified gates , pavers to driveway , raised planter beds , stone patios , landscaping etc can add another hefty dollop . I have seen costs rise to €300+ ft2 where "tasty" fit outs and ext works are specified .

The local authority ( there are 4 ) will seek about €20k as condition of planning permission . ESB , Gas connections charges should be modest enough if the site is urban - not so modest if rural .

Heads up - if you are looking to connect into a private drain
    1. the other owners are most likely not to grant you permission
    2. The local authority will screw you to make a new connection to the public drain - €20k - ( i have seen this )

So best to look at the LA drainage map first even before buying a site

Much as I love my home town - it ain't cheap

Oh - add 10-12% for professional fees . I don't say that it does not happen outside Dublin - but neighbours can be intolerable pricks in Dublin . You may be glad to have an experienced Architect on board even for this reason alone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 JTR

Hi sinnerboy,

Cheers for the reply and great info.

Yeah the site is pretty much sorted, still a few loose ends to tie up, I'm dealing with Fingal county council and they have final say on whether I get the site or not, the people selling it to me have been excellent they warned me that getting planning permission for the site is next to impossible if you are not local. There has been no issue over the house designs rather the CC wont give planning permission to non locals. A bit out dated in my view but what can you do.

Thankfully I am local so that should go in my favour, the people selling the site are in no rush and we have already agreed in principle a value on the site, less than their original asking price but enough to make them interested enough to sell to me.

Cheers again for your reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 baz6679

Hi
    Having worked in Dublin for 5 years as a plasterer and having built my own house here in Donegal I can offer you some good advice. Firstly you should consider managing the build yourself and employing each contractor for each job e.g. Blocklayer, Roofer, Plasterer etc.
    If you employ a contractor to complete the full project from green field to finish build it is going to cost you a hell of alot more because a contractor will use his own sub-contractors for jobs such as electric and plumbing and he will add his own cut on-to their price.
    in the current market place you will no doubt recieve some very competitive quotes for each job due to the lack of work. feel free to < pm me > as i know how daunting this all seems.

Sinnerboy edit

You are new and it's Friday evening - so informal warning . Read the charter - no spamming ( or apparent spamming )

Advertisement