Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS for "the back arse of nowhere"

Options
  • 17-09-2009 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm generally fine in citys as there are street maps inside normal maps, however, when it comes to little country roads in the back arse of nowhere, somewhere that I'm going to be travelling a lot in the near future, I'm pretty useless.

Is there a particular GPS that seems to outperform the others in this area?

Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No, a GPS either knows your location or it doesn't...

...however, to answer the question that you didn't ask a device that has Navteq maps on it currently has better coverage of Irish back roads than one that has Teleatlas maps on it...

...and to answer your next question Navteq maps can be found on Garmin devices and Teleatlas ones on TomTom at the moment. Both map types will also be found on other manufacturers devices as well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

If you're going to be visiting the same, remote, places frequently, you can enter that location into the sat nav, as a favourite. This will save you having to keep entering the same place over and over. Both Garmin & TomTom can do this.

There really is very little between both companies maps tbh. You'd be far better off going into a stockist and playing with both units, and check a particular back road on each unit.

If I had to choose, then I'd pick a Garmin by a wisker.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭golfman

robinph wrote: »
    No, a GPS either knows your location or it doesn't...

...however, to answer the question that you didn't ask a device that has Navteq maps on it currently has better coverage of Irish back roads than one that has Teleatlas maps on it...

...and to answer your next question Navteq maps can be found on Garmin devices and Teleatlas ones on TomTom at the moment. Both map types will also be found on other manufacturers devices as well though.

You hit the nail on the head, that's exactly what I was asking! Garmin it is so....

Advertisement