Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Image of a child on the old grain stores

• 17-09-2009 4:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the picture of the child on the old grain stores on the quay is? Is this an ad for something or just a striking image to try and gloss over the eyesore that is the buildings behind?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

the picture is by an artist called gottfried helnwein entitled the last child,there were 18 pictures hung up during the fringe festival,the one on the grain mill is one of 18.they explore the theme of war and explotation of children.

im sure if ya type in waterford and gottfried helnmwin into google youll get more information and theres probably more images there that were put up around the city at the time,some were very graphic and shocked people,ie a young child lying in a pool of blood etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭foxylad

a group of english & scottish journalists were invited to waterford 2 weeks ago - to explore its viking origins and tourist value -
    one lady staying in the wtower hotel was intrigued by the image on the mill "The Last Child" by Gottfried Helnwein -
    she penned this poem from her hotel room
    WATERFORD ANGEL.

River geisha
    watching over
    the crystal city.

From The Tower,
    sleep-wrapped,
    I meet her gaze.

Like the Fourth Sister,
    she guards my
    viking dreams

as stories pierce
    the night with
    tempered steel.

Alice of
    Abervenny
    stains the past

with
    pomegranate blood
    from 70 Knights.

Molly washes
    the centuries clean
    by morning.

She welcomes
    all here.
    Serene Angel
    of Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Awww cool poem!

All the local busybodies were going on about getting some sort of order to take it down because it "detracted from the amenity value of the river" or some such BS.

I always thought it was cool, and obviously so does some English/Scottish journalist/poet. Excellent!

Molly FTW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I just love the pic of Molly there, it would be a real shame if it was taken down but I have heard tourist question what it is an ad for!

Advertisement