Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Med Textbooks

Options
  • 17-09-2009 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hey, Ive just started first med in ucd and im wondering does anyone have any advice on which books are must buys and which ones i can just get from the library?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

hey im in 2nd med this year and the books youll need are:

a good quality clinical anatomy book, (id recommend moores but some like greys student edition), an atlas of anatomy (grants) and a physiology book (vanders is recommended). I also have an embryo book (langman) and thats it i think.

Its best to find a book in the library u like before buying though and embryo u can just borrow when you need it i found. Dont just buy them for the sake of it.

if you are buying any search for used books on amazon.co.uk first. I got all mine for a quater of the price doing this (normally €40-80 each). Buying in the student shop is an absolute rip off.

Also if you want medsoc's recommendations go to their website (google them) and they have a 'survive ___ med' page that tells you what u need to do

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Is an atlas of anatomy not something you could borrow from a library? Didn't strike many us us as a must buy back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 raver22

Guyton and hall for physiology. :D

pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

raver22 wrote: »
    Guyton and hall for physiology. :D
    I LOVE THAT BOOK!

Also, photo atlases are great. I like Rohen and Gosling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭flerb22

sherwood physiology, netters atlas of anatomy, monkhouse anatomy, borrow the rest from library

thats how i did it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭me2gud4u

Also a second med in ucd here but with i'd go with a few different books...

for anatomy, moore and dalley clinically orientated anatomy...great book however there is so much detail and most of it you won't retain so therefore I now tend to use the essential clinical anatomy which is based on the big one and is by Moore and Agur.....enough in it and lovely and concise.

For physiology, i really did not like vanders, guyton and hall and don't touch berne and levy (dr moynihan (renal 2nd semester) slates that book,meant to be very inaccurate!), for me and many many others in the class, Physiology by Linda s. constanzo was our saving grace-EXCELLENT BOOK. Probably my favourite staple book of the year!

Embryology....yuck, but yes Langman's medical embryology is great. Just don't bother with Larsen's which is the other recommended text,it's far too hefty and way too much detail for what is needed in the basic tissue module.

Wheater's histology.....just buy it or get it on loan from library. You will also use it in 2nd med (as will you use your anatomy, embryology and physiology text)

other tips;
    for Giles' spotter exam in the upper limb, make sure you learn the anatomy drawings in Netter's Atlas but also consult Mc minns colour atlas (also in library) for specimen photos which he puts up in the exam.

The infamous Biochem, Instant notes biochemistry, is the way to go. Don't bother with that meisenberg text, it's way too heavy and believe me, all you want to do in biochem is pass it first go off. Just get Instant notes, great great great book.

In the second semester you'll prob need ECG made easy, but don't worry about that until then.

Also, just try not to get bogged down in general with all the new books as quite often what is in the lectures is sufficient to pass you and get ya in and around a good C. If you take good notes in lectures, you can push that up to a B mark....which is excellent. A bit of extra reading is really for more understanding and filling in the gaps.

All these books are available in Clarendon medical in town!

The first semester gives and overall basic grounding in embryology, biochem and physiology. To be honest, whilst the second semester is harder it is far more interesting when you start into the systems based curriculum.

Good luck with your shiny new books!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

All that's needed as far as I'm concerned: (in terms of buying them)
    • An atlas of anatomy
    This basically shows plates of the human body with muscles, organs, vessels, nerves etc. in situ, also bones, tissue layers etc. with nametags on everything, and of course those damn origins & insertions, some also have tissue sections.

Frank H. Netter's "Atlas of Human Anatomy" is an excellent one to get.
    • An anatomy book
    A textbook that describes the relations between everything, descriptions of everything, functions etc.

Moore & Dalley's "Clinically Oriented Anatomy" is the gold standard - it's just bloody brilliant tbh. It's probably most famous though for the "blueboxes" which describe the clinical relations with things described in the text, it also has lots of MRI/CT/Arteriograms at the end of each chapter to pour over, and lots of other great stuff.

And that's it really, except perhaps a Biochemistry book, there's a great one by Champs, Harvey & Ferrier "Lippincott's Biochemistry" which is very too the point, has great review sections at the end of every chapter, lots of very good diagrams in it, and is reasonably cheap. The rest are unnecessary in my opinion and can be borrowed from your library.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I saw an anatomy colouring book for med students in Hoggis Figgis a few weeks ago. Definitely getting that.

<3 colouring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

Piste wrote: »
    I saw an anatomy colouring book for med students in Hoggis Figgis a few weeks ago. Definitely getting that.

<3 colouring.

Kapit and Elson is a decent one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭TheJeanGenie

Ooh I do love this thread! As much as I love buying books, med texts are so expensive! Thanks for the advice, especially with biochem!

youd be suprised how many free ebooks are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Everyone is so enthusiastic about different books, I wish they'd all agree... My lecturers are recommending Gray's, Netter's Atlas, Stryer's Biochem and Sherwood's Physiology. I want to get my books quickly because I'm already behind in study but I don't want to rush into a purchase I'll regret.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Must Have Music

PM sent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Everyone is so enthusiastic about different books, I wish they'd all agree... My lecturers are recommending Gray's, Netter's Atlas, Stryer's Biochem and Sherwood's Physiology. I want to get my books quickly because I'm already behind in study but I don't want to rush into a purchase I'll regret.

You're in TCD right?

Well if the course hasn't changed since last year I would recommend;

- Grays Anatomy (Student Edition): An essential purchase. The Hamilton library doesnt stock this book.

- I would buy Sherwoods as well. You are going to be using it so much that renewing it at the library every week just isnt worth it. Somedays you may not even be able to renew it.

- Dont buy Stryers, but do buy Bios Instant Notes for Biochemistry.
    Take out stryers when you move onto enzyme kinetics.

- Dont buy netters atlas either. Paul Tierneys notes include all the images you need to accompany the anatomy text. Just take it out of the library if you need it.

- I would recommend buying an introductory psychology book. Would come in very useful when you start your behavioural science lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Can anyone advise me if this is the correct edition of Sherwood to buy? I distinctly remember my lecturer mentioning the "From Cells to Systems" subtitle which this seems to lack but this is a newer edition. The "International" tag throws me as well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Human-Physiology-International-Lauralee-Sherwood/dp/0495826294/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254671779&sr=8-1

Also, don't know what "AISE version" means with regard to this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Human-Physiology-Version-Cells-Systems/dp/0495109347/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254671779&sr=8-2

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,575 ✭✭✭✭PFJSplitter

AISE = Association of International Students in Education

If you're planning to sit the USMLEs in anticipation of further studies in the USA or abroad, then study the "First Aid" or "PreTest" books to get a feel for the exam questions. Use the books as a study guide with the appropriate classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'll be getting Moore and Daly's clinically oriented anatomy, but would any other students recommend getting an anatomy atlas as well?

I'll be getting Moore and Daly's clinically oriented anatomy, but would any other students recommend getting an anatomy atlas as well?

I find it useful to find the orientation of the muscles, organs, stuff etc. Saying that though theres no shortage of them in the library

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

You're in TCD right?

Well if the course hasn't changed since last year I would recommend;

- Grays Anatomy (Student Edition): An essential purchase. The Hamilton library doesnt stock this book.

- I would buy Sherwoods as well. You are going to be using it so much that renewing it at the library every week just isnt worth it. Somedays you may not even be able to renew it.

- Dont buy Stryers, but do buy Bios Instant Notes for Biochemistry.
    Take out stryers when you move onto enzyme kinetics.

- Dont buy netters atlas either. Paul Tierneys notes include all the images you need to accompany the anatomy text. Just take it out of the library if you need it.

- I would recommend buying an introductory psychology book. Would come in very useful when you start your behavioural science lessons.

Exact same advice as my friend in your year.
    Chayurz.

I feel a'right about my purchases now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

I'm in UCC but anyway...

I used Gray's - meh, don't think it's as useful as an atlas; Netter's - v.good diagrams and all you need if your lecturers put up good notes; Guyton - I loved this book, it is brilliant for cardio and basic physiology but I kinda regret not getting Boron and Boulpaep for GI and renal; Talley and O'Connor - excellent introduction to clinical imo; we had very detailed biochem notes from about every lecturer except one so my Lehninger is pretty much untouched; I'd nearly recommend buying a oxford clinical handbook now as well because you'll have to get it soon anyway and any new editoins won't be that different and it's a handy thing to have...

Kind of surprised at the pretty big differences in book choice between here and other colleges!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I've been using this book for years. It's great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

Starting to use Moore and Dalley more but still need to use it with other things. The layout isn't great though the blue pages in the new edition are pretty cool.

Tortora ftw :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

im not a med student but when i took some modules with ye guys i found that the lippincotts illustated reviews really helped

Advertisement