Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ESPN Europa League rights for Ireland

• 17-09-2009 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi folks

Just got home to watch the Celtic Europa leage game on ESPN and got a program not available message, do ESPN only have rights for UK? can't believe they only went for UK rights

any ideas? :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

The Celtic game is on 3e tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭thecross1

3e at 1755

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

ESPN's rights only cover the UK, 3e have the Irish rights.
    Its on live on 3e at 5.55p.m. sky channel 182 I think, its also on the basic NTL package so I'm assuming if you've ESPN you've got either the basic Sky or NTL pack so don't worry.
    Happy viewing! C'mon the hoops!!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Funky Phantom

ta blueser

panic over

Hail Hail ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

This game is live on 3e channel 182 (they must have exclusive rights in Ireland.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Ed_

That makes me angry. We are paying the same as the UK (apparently) but get less programming. I wonder if other games will be blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

This is a load of b*££!x...OK, 3e are showing the Celtic game, but ESPN are showing more of these games for UK customers. By the way, the picture quality on 3e is laughable. It's like a bogus internet stream for a game you get on the laptop, and then put it 'fullscreen'.

I am actually thinking of scrapping my ESPN sub. They have live rights for loads of leagues but only show a fraction of what they could. Almost 99% of their programming is in standard definition and the picture quality is rubbish. The channel is also effectively redundant Mon-Fri. I would be more content if they had a bit more HD content (or SD content with quality similar to SS1), or found a way to show more games live.

Is this also blocked on UPC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

All their UEFA Cup coverage is blocked. The game on now is not being shown by any channel in Ireland. What a bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

anyone know why skysports can show champions league in ireland despite tv3 having the irish rights????? is it that they dont want to upset sky and challenge them but they feel they can with ESPN???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Fcuk them anyway, sat down to watch their highlghts show at 11pm and same deal, 'Programme not available', fair enough if 3e have the exclusive rights for live games, but if 3e aren't running a highlights package, ESPN should be allowed to show their programme. Picture quality does not come anywhere near ESPN.

anyone know why skysports can show champions league in ireland despite tv3 having the irish rights????? is it that they dont want to upset sky and challenge them but they feel they can with ESPN???

Good point. However I do not think TV3 are the reason why ESPN cannot show the games. It has to be that their contract specifically states UK only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

no, tv3 showed champs league and so did sky? who has the rights there? No games were blocked on my al jazeera sub that cost 100e for 18 months!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Didnt watch the europa league last night but this is very disappointing for anyone who has subscribed to ESPN.

Ye know, in many ways, its a good thing that the ITV channels are not on the Irish EPG. If they were, the Europa league games on ITV4 last night would have been blocked too, as well as who knows how much else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

Very disappointed with ESPN about this, no information was giving prior to the game via email or nothing, I had to make the call to be told what was going on, felt like saying stuff your channel but sense prevailed. Really wanted to watch the Twente match as I've bet on them outright for the tournament. Very poor from ESPN and Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Savio11

Setanta Ireland had Europa Games last nite How come TV3 didnt block them.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Ed_ wrote: »
    Is this also blocked on UPC?

Apparently not - maybe the rights issue was to do with other countries in Europe and not TV3/TV3e.

Its a joke really, I know that Ireland is an independent country and not part of the UK but RTE where allowed to show Ireland games as well as Sky. Why cant this be for European games etc? Im sure RTE show Euro matches that sky/ITV show. This whole rights issue is getting out of control both in convience and cost to the Irish Subscriber. We are really taking it up the backside for sport subs in this country. This is why Ill never pay a UK/Irish sub again for sport. Ive been subbing to Euro subscriptions for many years and ive never looked back.

Pro's: Low cost, More choice of sport (Some subs for 12 months is the same as 1 month sub to ESPN, SKY, SETANTA)
    Cons: Sometimes no English commentry on sport events

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

Ed_ wrote: »
    That makes me angry. We are paying the same as the UK (apparently) but get less programming. I wonder if other games will be blocked.

not true. You are paying more - £9 = €10.50. You pay €12 per month.

Me I told them where to stuff it and will go to the pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

In case you didn't know, FIVE have full Europa League rights in UK & Ireland.
    Live and exclusive coverage of the 2009/10 UEFA Europa League. Watch live on Five, or catch highlights here on Five.tv.

FIVE Football

• Advertisement

Five have Irish rights? That's interesting. Now if they would go on the EPG. But the website will be fine for now.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Five have Irish rights? That's interesting. Now if they would go on the EPG. But the website will be fine for now.

They are on EPG?

EDIT: The EPG is only on FTA satellite feed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Five like ITV in the past most definitely do not have rights in the republic of ire, with it not being available on the EPG here on Sky that covered ITV, they did not scramble so we could watch no probs with the correct freq.

ESPN don't have rights here - so us seeing a broadcast message of " This program is not available" is only right, Viewers of Setanta over the last few years in the UK had it with the 3pm's - so get over it, the Europa league is a pile of c**p anyway lol

evilivor wrote: »
    Apparently not - maybe the rights issue was to do with other countries in Europe and not TV3/TV3e.

That is typical. Satellite viewers get screwed again.

Manc-Red wrote: »
    Viewers of Setanta over the last few years in the UK had it with the 3pm's - so get over it, the Europa league is a pile of c**p anyway lol

Viewers in the UK had their own version of Setanta Sports 1 so they only ever saw that message whenever a game was shown on Setanta Ireland (which was never intended for the UK market). ESPN however is for both the UK and Ireland. You should get your facts right before you become all righteous. It makes you look like a fool.

In advance of next week's games any chance a few of you could register your disappointment here, whatever difference it will make:

http://www.espn.ie/more/feedback/

Manc-Red wrote: »
    Five like ITV in the past most definitely do not have rights in the republic of ire, with it not being available on the EPG here on Sky that covered ITV, they did not scramble so we could watch no probs with the correct freq.

The EPG is on FTA sytems, all games on Five are viewable in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

NUTZZ wrote: »
    The EPG is on FTA sytems, all games on Five are viewable in Ireland

Yep, they're showing Celtic game next Thursday. Not sure what game is ITV4, might be the Fulham.

evilivor wrote: »
    Yep, they're showing Celtic game next Thursday. Not sure what game is ITV4, might be the Fulham.

Yeh ITV4 are showing Fulham v FC Basle

• Advertisement

In the Star this morning there is a photo of Liam Brady, Pat Bonner and Kevin Moran promoting ESPN's Irish coverage of the English and Scottish Leagues. They are holding up a mock tv screen with a list of all the forthcoming games, around the edge of this screen it has ESPN.ie so you are left in no doubt as to what games are to be shown in Ireland.

But wait, they have Europa League Everton V Benfica listed for Thurs Oct 22, there are two things wrong with this, 1. Everton are away to Benfica this Thursday and 2. ESPN do not have the rights to show the Europa League in this country. They are also promoting the game on ESPN.ie http://www.espn.ie/. Why are the false advertising? Or have they decided to show Europa League games here? I'm still waiting for a reply from them to my original complaint last month, so I won't hold my breath waiting for a response from them this time. Anybody got a phone number for them please?

Sky handle all their customer calls. That is sloppy is they are advertising games for us when it clearly states on the EPG that it is not available here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭daytrader

Why cant Espn show europa league games here? Because Setanta have it? Well who has the cl rights here? Rte? Setanta? Sky still show the same games here as Setanta do! They dont block anything. How can sky and Setanta show the same! But Espn and Setanta can't. Just curious.

It is obviously a rights issue. They have no other reason to not show them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭daytrader

Still strange how 2 stations can both show live games. I wonder are sky's cl rights for the uk and not ireland but they just showed them as no one else was and still do.

I have no idea about the contract Sky have with UEFA so cannot say.

• Advertisement

I rang Sky and they tell me that the item I saw in the Star (and Sun) this morning must have been a UK 'ad'! How stupid of me, Liam Brady, Packie Bonner and Kevin Moran, in the Irish Star and Irish Sun, mentioning that they were launching ESPN's Irish Coverage. :rolleyes: Here is a link to buy the pics from Sportsfile, run your mouse over the pics for larger version, you probably still won't be able to see the listing properly though:

http://www.sportsfile.com/more-images/PR0910062/5000/

I have a buddy that works for Setanta, I have told him about it, I'm sure they will be curious as the Benfica Everton game is live on Setanta Ireland, hopefully Setanta will get some satisfaction by reporting ESPN for falsely advertising games that they cannot show.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pricewise987

Trabzonspor V Liverpool 2nd leg

TV Coverage

Setanta Ireland (18:00-20:30 Ireland Only)
    ESPN (18:00-20:45)

Will the ESPN coverage be blocked again this season so that Setanta Ireland will be the only channel showing the game live?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I watched the first leg on ITV HD - there's a good mix of Europa league games between 3e,ITV (usually ITV4) Setanta and Five. Not sure about ESPN having games blocked over here as I don't subscribe,but can imagine if some of the other broadcasters have the Irish rights then the ESPN coverage would be blocked.

Cheers

ITV4 are showing the Aston Villa game

Channel 5 have no Europa League coverage this season

3e have no coverage this week (don't know about the season)

Assuming Liverpool qualify for the Group stages (:eek:) just wondering what coverage we can expect.

Not happy if it's Setanta Ireland only - cancelled subscription with them as it is 17 quid a month which is a rip-off.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Unless ESPN renewed their Europa League contract over the summer I would be surprised to see that game being shown on ESPN in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Looks like your out of luck regarding ESPN http://liveonsat.com/LJsport_foot_uefa_europa_cup.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Looks like Setanta are showing Celtic on Setanta Ireland and Setanta Sports 1.

edit: Their website confirms it. Do they really have nothing else to be showing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Cheers

ITV4 are showing the Aston Villa game

Channel 5 have no Europa League coverage this season

3e have no coverage this week (don't know about the season)

Assuming Liverpool qualify for the Group stages (:eek:) just wondering what coverage we can expect.

Not happy if it's Setanta Ireland only - cancelled subscription with them as it is 17 quid a month which is a rip-off.......

Five have first choice matches for the uk from the group stages up to the final for the next 3 years

TV3 or 3e have first choice matches for ireland from the group stages up to the final for the next 3 years

itv4 have 2nd and third choice matches for the uk from the group stages up to the semi final for the next 3 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Will the same apply to the sky online Player ..

Good question......

Does anyone know will this be blocked in the same way...???

I guess we will find out shortly...

I hope It works. Really dont Fancy watching eircoms dodgy Setanta Coverage. Very Pixalated :(

This works :-)

Al Jazeera have it :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Good question......

Does anyone know will this be blocked in the same way...???

I guess we will find out shortly...

It was blocked the other night. ESPN-total waste of money now unless you are a committed American sports fan. I am serving my notice with them and am due to be cut off on 31st Aug. My last match tonite and I really don't care anymore!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭deiseman21

I see setanta are now showing serie a games, i wonder will these be blocked in ireland on ESPN, now making the channel a non-runner in this country unless american sports, guiness premiership, 23 barclays premier league & the bundesliga do it for you?:D

we will see tonight
    Roma V Cessena 19.45 on both ESPN & Setanta.

• Advertisement
Advertisement