Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ESPN Europa League rights for Ireland

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

deiseman21 wrote: »
    I see setanta are now showing serie a games, i wonder will these be blocked in ireland on ESPN, now making the channel a non-runner in this country unless american sports, guiness premiership, 23 barclays premier league & the bundesliga do it for you?:D

we will see tonight
    Roma V Cessena 19.45 on both ESPN & Setanta.

Their Bundesliga coverage is a joke too in fairness. Hardly any Saturday evening games due to the clash with their Premiership game. They badly need a second channel and this was obvious even last year. They have done nothing to address this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

deiseman21 wrote: »
    I see setanta are now showing serie a games, i wonder will these be blocked in ireland on ESPN, now making the channel a non-runner in this country unless american sports, guiness premiership, 23 barclays premier league & the bundesliga do it for you?:D

we will see tonight
    Roma V Cessena 19.45 on both ESPN & Setanta.

I dont see that on setanta listings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭deiseman21

sorry tomorrow's bari v juve, milan v lecce on setanta & fiorentina v napoli on setanta & espn.
    bolonga v inter on both on monday too.

http://liveonsat.com/LJsport_foot_italy.php

http://tv.espn.co.uk/gb/espl/espn-news-updates/espn-news/live-fixtures-on-espn

http://www.setanta.com/ie/TV-Listings/
    its also on the EPG aswell

Did ESPN show all their Serie A games to Irish viewers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Yes. I have both Setanta and ESPN and both showed the Serie A games over the week-end. Does anyone know if the Europa League will be blocked on UPC by ESPN?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

i cant get my head around all of this. How comes sky sports are allowed to show champions league in Ireland when RTE/TV3 have the rights? Surely Sky sports should be blocked out, or is it a case of one rule for one and another rule for another!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

snaps wrote: »
    i cant get my head around all of this. How comes sky sports are allowed to show champions league in Ireland when RTE/TV3 have the rights? Surely Sky sports should be blocked out, or is it a case of one rule for one and another rule for another!

RTE and TV3 tend to pick up the rights for the big games-usually Man Utd,Arsenal and Sky broadcast the rest,there's very rarely a clash as TV3 tend to have the game that ITV broadcast so Sky won't be showing it,especially the group games.
    Bit of a con job with ESPN blocking coverage for certain events for Ireland-I for one won't be subscribing,my team play in Champions League so it's Irish TV and Sky Sports for that and a trip to the pub for the rare occasion that ESPN will be showing them in Premier League action.

snaps wrote: »

I have read somewhere that Sky Sports has the rights to show games in Ireland alongside RTÉ, TV3 and Setanta. I am trying to remember where I have read this.

Found it. I knew I saw it somewhere.

Champions League rights holders for Ireland are listed as

Setanta Sports Channel Ireland Limited
    TV3 Television Network Limited
    Radio Telefis Eireann-RTE
    British Sky Broadcasting Limited

The Europa League rights holders are

TV3 Television Network Ltd
    Setanta Sports

That's why Sky Sports are showing games from one competition and why ESPN are blocking their games.

• Advertisement

but surely sky should only be showing games the others are Not showing?

I am not sure of the exact rules but they must obviously be allowed to show all of thier games in Ireland. I am sure Setanta, RTÉ and TV3 would have complained otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Well if this is any indication of who will show what, both Setanta and ESPN are showing the Racing v Clermont game in the French Top 14 tonight. Might be the same with the footie.

was one channel blocked (ESPN)??

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭mike2084

No, neither was blocked. This seems to only happen for Europa League and nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Fcuk them anyway, sat down to watch their highlghts show at 11pm and same deal, 'Programme not available', fair enough if 3e have the exclusive rights for live games, but if 3e aren't running a highlights package, ESPN should be allowed to show their programme. Picture quality does not come anywhere near ESPN.

And 2 years later nothing's changed-because the exact same thing has just happened to me.

I only switched to Sky from UPC over a fortnight ago and I had no idea this would be the case with Sky-for a while I thought I'd been disconnected until the programme following it came on the air.Believe it or not,ESPN were showing the europa league,and the highlights,with UPC.

Siúl leat, siúl leat, le dóchas i do chroí, is ní shiúlfaidh tú i d'aonar go deo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement