Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Party will pull out if members vote down NAMA/Programme for Government

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 deathofan80sman

edanto wrote: »
    Anyone have any news from the Greens? Are there any Green members on here?

load of them on 'the frontline' last night.

they should pull out...they lack the steadiness that a moral high-ground requires to be effective...the most effective, moral and steady thing they can do is pull out.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Red Alert wrote: »
    I voted for Eamonn Ryan No. 1 and will no do so again because of this.
    I think this is the key sentiment that the members need to consider now. They effectively have two choices;

1. Vote against the plan and hope that the public applauds us for doing so.
    2. Vote with the plan, hope my colleagues do the same, and stay in Government, chipping away.

While their supporters may be annoyed that the Greens went into a FF coalition at all, you can't disagree that they've managed to push a good deal of Green agenda through and have a sizeable amount of green policy enacted, relative to their actual size in government.

If it does get defeated, I feel the Greens would be better served by trying to negotiate a new government with FG and Labour, but my gut says that Enda and Eamonn will reject any such advances because a general election would give them a much stronger position in the Dail; Perhaps even a FG majority :eek:

seamus wrote: »
    I think this is the key sentiment that the members need to consider now. They effectively have two choices;

1. Vote against the plan and hope that the public applauds us for doing so.
    2. Vote with the plan, hope my colleagues do the same, and stay in Government, chipping away.

While their supporters may be annoyed that the Greens went into a FF coalition at all, you can't disagree that they've managed to push a good deal of Green agenda through and have a sizeable amount of green policy enacted, relative to their actual size in government.

If it does get defeated, I feel the Greens would be better served by trying to negotiate a new government with FG and Labour, but my gut says that Enda and Eamonn will reject any such advances because a general election would give them a much stronger position in the Dail; Perhaps even a FG majority :eek:

The nation(public, private, unions, unemployed) all need to get square behind their government in order to weather the tsunami(sp) we're facing because we are all going to feel more pai..but this government is fundamentally unable to garner that support.

The Greens are keeping the govt propped up and are therefore depriving te people of a clear, fresh start.

I voted Green last time and would do again if they pulled out of government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I'd vote Green if they bring this mess to an end. If they don't I won't ever vote for them again.

I agree we need a government to get behind at this stage. This government isn't it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I'd vote greens again either way depending on what they get in the revised program for government TBH.

If they don't get anything I deem worth staying in government for which I see as serious reform then I'll not vote for them if they stay in to save the animals.

If they pull out, I'd give them good preference TBH as they have done good things while in power and some stupid crap especially on broadband. Par for the course with broadband though and I imagine the problem isn't the ministers in charge of the department but the department itself.

• Advertisement

thebman wrote: »
    I'd vote greens again either way depending on what they get in the revised program for government TBH.

If they don't get anything I deem worth staying in government for which I see as serious reform then I'll not vote for them if they stay in to save the animals.

If they pull out, I'd give them good preference TBH as they have done good things while in power and some stupid crap especially on broadband. Par for the course with broadband though and I imagine the problem isn't the ministers in charge of the department but the department itself.

i'm sure you're not referring to FF there ;)

theres a rebuilding-from-scratch needed in this economy and this is the time to do it. Heard a documentary-maker who came back from Iceland. Their banks folded and they opened new banks...the unions there work closely w the government as opposed to the adversarial set-up we have here.

a national govt might work no?

Advertisement