Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Power, motherboard green LED on

Options
  • 17-09-2009 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭

Ok so I try to turn on my computer yesterday and get nothing out of it. Not even a peep. I can't for the life of me figure out what the problem is.

1. Opened it saw that the Motherboards green LED light wa on.

2. I've disconected everything leaving just one stick of RAM, and the proccessor and got nothing, tried the other sticks of RAM.

3. Got an old PSU and hooked it up. Got the green light but still no power.

4. Took out BIOS battery and put it back in after a while... Nothing.

I've narrowed it down to the motherboard or CPU i think. Anyone have any other ideas of what to try?

Its an AMD dual core processor and asus m2n-sli delux motherboard.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

if you are 100% sure that its either them MB or the CPU, i would be 99% sure the MB has failed

i have never ever seen a cpu fail, and I look at a lot of computers, about once a month i get called to a dead pc like yours and the cpu is always fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

Yeah, almost certain I have another CPU around somewhere that I could try but can't find it. Even if it was the CPU, would it start up with some kind of error anyway?

Oh my little brothers informed me that my computer had been on, but there was nothing on the monitor but the fans and all were going tried holding the power button and nothing happened and they just left it and didn't tell me, this is before it broke.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Try pulling the front on-switch and reset button connectors off the mobo's front-panel pin header(s) and try jumping the PC alive by shorting the header pins for the switch. Could be the case switch has gone - I've seen that happen before! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Julez wrote: »
    3. Got an old PSU and hooked it up. Got the green light but still no power.

An old PSU? Can you say for certainty that it was/is good? If it was me, I'd want to be sure whether the PSUs were working (or not) before saying it was the motherboard or processor.

Of all the PC hardware related issues (seemingly dead PCs) I've come across, I'd guestimate upwards of 3 out of 4 times it's PSU related.

If you have a graphics card (or any other PCI/AGP cards), try removing them as well. Try unplugging any USB adaptors/devices after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

Well the PSU was fine a few months ago when I took it out to put in this new more powerful one. So I can't imagine its also just broke. Managed to find an old CPU too, also from this system about a year ago. Also did work, but no luck here. Ive taken everything out, PCI cards USB etc. So I guess its the power button or the Motherboard. I played around with the power switch cables on the mobo but no luck. Tried shorting it with a screw driver, but not sure i was doing it right.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Sounds like mobo meltdown. Suckage :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 STOP RESISTING

what wattage is the psu? was the processor OC'd or at stock speed? what graphics card(s) are you running?

I put together my old MSI975X Platinum board with my PentD 930 and 2GB RAM the other day along with a Geforce 8800GTS 640MB card and 500W psu... damn thing wouldn't start either, till I realised I had a 2 molex to 6 pin GPU power cable instead of a single molex to 6 pin connector, needless to say it's working fine now.:)

Advertisement