Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One man needed for trip to Antarctica!

Options
  • 17-09-2009 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have been planning a trip to antarctica for the last year or so with a number of friends. We've chartered a 75 ft yacht, the Australis (http://www.ocean-expeditions.com) with a skipper to take us from Ushuaia in Argentina down around the antarctic peninsula for 3 weeks, departing on the 3rd of January.

The yacht berths 9, plus 2 crew (though we're still expected to take watches) and at the moment we have 8 people paid up and ready to go, but we have one space still available.

Our plan is to spend the first 3 days getting massively sick while crossing the Drake passage, and the next 2½ weeks seeing the icebergs, whales, penguins and volcanoes of the antarctic peninsula.

A few of us are into hiking and climbing, so we're hopping to have a few day expeditions on the mainland for trekking or climbing on a few of the more accessible peaks!

The cost of all this is about €5000 - 5500 for the yacht charter (depending on exchange rates, and based on 9 people sharing) plus flights to argentina (around €800) plus beer and spending money and other incidentals.

So, if anyone has the time and the cash* and you're interested, let me know.

Thanks,

Stephen

p.s. Most of us are sciency-type postgrads in TCD, so if you don't think you can handle being trapped in a boat with 8 physics nerds for 3 weeks, it might not be for you. Most of us are nice though.

*Bear in mind, all the yacht charter and flights need to be paid in the next couple of months, so if you don't think you can realistically get that much money together,please don't waste our time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Sounds great, I have the time but not the money (science nerds are fine, it's the trinity bit I'd have a problem with ;))

Try advertising on some of the yacht clubs or some other spot - general outdoors types may be interested in that sort of expedition

Good luck anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

Spot is now filled!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Vasco

sounds gay

Advertisement