Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And the best Doctor Who episode ever is...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Good choice - it's an excellent episode. It features one of the best cliffhangers that the show has ever done. It's also easily one of the most mature serials the show has done and Sharez Jek was a great villain.

Nice to see a number of the classic episodes there - all good choices. From the more modern ones, I agree with "Blink" and probably "Human Nature" although not the other two (although they were good).

"Genesis of the Daleks" at #3 is deserved - probably the best Dalek episode ever and parsecs ahead of the modern re-tellings. Hell, even those who only watch the new seasons should watch this one - it'll give some insight into Davros' meeting with Sarah Jane in the Season 30 finale.

One thing though - how sad was it of me to immediately look at the line in the article:
    selected 1984's The Caves of Androzani - in which fifth Doctor Peter Davison hung up his sonic screwdriver
    and get hung up myself on the fact he already gave it up in "The Visitation"?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,694 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

and get hung up myself on the fact he already gave it up in "The Visitation"?

I think they meant
    he died and the sixth took over rather then give up the actual screwdriver

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I think they meant
    he died and the sixth took over rather then give up the actual screwdriver
    Oh I know that's what they meant, but the Whovian in me still went straight for the literal interpretation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Not seen Caves yet myself, working my way through Davison's tenure at the moment and Tegan has just jumped ship. (My God how this poor Doctor's companions grated, he certainly attracted the whiney mewley type.) Should be at it in a few days though, so this timed nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

'Blink'
    image.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Well unlike Camelot I haven't watched all 200 odd episodes so I don't know. Fun to see The Talons of Weng-Chiang in at 4 since it would drive the PC brigade over the edge if it was broadcast today.

Best moment in DW that I've seen though has to be the "Tank" in Robot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Ridley

I don't see the appeal of The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances. Personally I'd prefer The Girl in the Fireplace in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Ridley wrote: »
    I don't see the appeal of The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances. Personally I'd prefer The Girl in the Fireplace in there.

They are both Stephen Moffat stories so why bother choosing. :) Equally brilliant.

Blink is my number 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Ridley

GSPfan wrote: »
    They are both Stephen Moffat stories so why bother choosing. :) Equally brilliant.

I much prefer Human Nature over The Empty Child. The journal of impossible things is easily the best prop. ;) Personally I think The Girl in the Fireplace does better in one episode what RTD spent (at least) a series doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

this is from DHM 413, where they did the mighty 200, sadly Colin Barker was still propping up the back end of the list but the 26th season (mc coy's last) did get to number 10, beating the 2006 season in the process...

I said it here yonks ago that mc coy's stories would one day get reappraised...

• Advertisement
Advertisement