Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When a player gets Banned.....

• 17-09-2009 7:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

I think that if a player gets sent off or receives a ban from a certain match, then that ban should apply to the next time he plays against the same opponents.
    Why should other teams benefit and not the team that was wronged initially?

e.g Adebayor should be banned the next time he plays Arsenal, so that they get the benefit of the ban.

It is of no benefit to Arsenal (and is actually a disadvantage) for a Man City player who played a big role in their defeat to then be banned against their potential title rivals for something he did wrong in their match.

This has been the case in the past for Rooney and RVP that I can remember off the top of my head, where they were sent off and not available v other title rivals.

This doesn't seem fair to me. Any opinions?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It benefits Arsenal in a sense that they're both probably/maybe fighting for 4th place, losing Ade could result in points lost for city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

And if the player will not play that team again in that season? And if it is in the CL and they may not play each other again for 6 years? Or it is late in the season and the team that he was playing against got relegated? The player and so the team may never receive sanction for his actions. I see no benefit to this and as far as I am concerned, a player getting sent off should be benefit enough to the team that he was sent off against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Well the suspension is about punishing the player, the opposition is incidental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

JPA wrote: »
    Well the suspension is about punishing the player, the opposition is incidental.

It is about punishing the player and the team I would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It is about punishing the player and the team I would say.

Well that's just naturally going to happen if the player is banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

its a punishment for the team .... so without said player they will not be expected to perform at a higher level...and thus throughout a season...would suffer.

its an impossible task to ban players from playing against the clubs they received a Red card ....do you propose that the same happen for yellow cards ? if they receive 2 yellow cards during a season are they not allowed to play that team next season - regardless of what team they then play for ???

simplest way to punish the individual player would be a months wages donated to charity - how many would be getting red cards then ?? (they probably wouldnt notice a week or two weeks wages...but a month will make them kick em a bit).

what would you propose if the ref makes a bad decision and sends someone off in error (replay the match???)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I think its an interesting point myself but I don't think it could work.

I mean most of the big teams should be able to handle the so called "big players". Having him missing against ****tier team where he would be more effective in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Thanks for the interesting replies, theres a few things there that I hadn't considered.
    I guess what got me thinking was the fact that Ade will be banned v Man U for something that happened in a match v Arsenal. He wasnt sent off in the game at the time so Arsenal get no benefit from his punishment.
    In this case Arsenal's title rivals get the benefit.
    I dont really have a solution but the current situation in this case seems unfair (regardless of team allegiances)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Why should Arsenal benefit for the sending off just out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

What if it happens in the second half of the season, you cant seriously expect it to carry over to a new season :confused:

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Why should Arsenal benefit for the sending off just out of interest?

He wasn't sent off in this case.
    Ade stamped on RVP in the match v Arsenal and he incited the crowd in the same match. After the game he got a ban for what he did wrong in that game v Arsenal.
    He is a good player and can cause defences many problems, it is an advantage to any team playing against his team if he is not allowed to play.

The offences for which he received the ban were comitted v Arsenal and my point is that Arsenal get no benefit from the punishment he received for offences he comitted against them. In fact their rivals get the benefit of his ban which is not fair IMO.
    Maybe I am not making myself clear?
    And maybe there is no just solution to the situation in question? Just throwing it out there to get some opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

He wasn't sent off in this case.
    Ade stamped on RVP in the match v Arsenal and he incited the crowd in the same match. After the game he got a ban for what he did wrong in that game v Arsenal.
    He is a good player and can cause defences many problems, it is an advantage to any team playing against his team if he is not allowed to play.

The offences for which he received the ban were comitted v Arsenal and my point is that Arsenal get no benefit from the punishment he received for offences he comitted against them. In fact their rivals get the benefit of his ban which is not fair IMO.
    Maybe I am not making myself clear?
    And maybe there is no just solution to the situation in question? Just throwing it out there to get some opinions.

As has been said, the benefit to Arsenal may be that Adebayor missing (at least) the game on Sunday may result in lost points, which may benefit Arsenal who are in direct competition with City for 4th place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Well here would be a please all solution.

Standard 3 match ban. If the team against whom the offence was commited is not scheduled to play against the offenders' team during the duration of the suspension, the player shall also be suspended the next time the player is due to play against said team (if within 6 months of the original suspension).

This also covers the player being transfered etc though I don't see many agreeing with it, it satisfies everyone here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

In this case Arsenal's title rivals get the benefit.

Lol, you're def an Arsenal fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I didn't read the other responses, but I think it's enough of an advantage for the team to be playing against 10 men for the remainder of the game. Be it for 5 minutes or 85, I think it is always an advantage suited to the situation.

Depending on the situation, a points loss resulting from the banned player missing a game(s) could benefit the opposition should they find themselves in a similar position in the league.

Lol, you're def an Arsenal fan.

Not an Arsenal fan Danny. Lets just say I would have been hoping for an Ade hat-trick v Man U:D

Advertisement