Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for wireless adapter recomendation

Options
  • 17-09-2009 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

I am looking for a decent wireless adapter for a desktop PC. this computer will be used for gaming so i need something reliable. any recommendations ?

the OS will be windows 7 64bit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Coyler

Buy this exact router. Its a WR54GL. The L is the important bit so if you want you can go find a better price elsewhere but make sure its the WRT54GL. Then change the firmware with either Tomato or DD-wrt firmwares. Very simple task and probably best to go with Tomato if you have never done it before.

Once the router has been flashed you can then go to the wireless options and select to turn the router from a Access Point to a Wireless Bridge. Enter the same SSID and security details and you are good to go. You can then use the router and a wireless adapter with up to four devices.

It may seem daunting, I grant you that, but I have yet to find a better solution. These firmwares just get updated more often than the manufacturers and you don't have to deal with flaky drivers. I'm running two routers of these right now, one routing my internet connection and the other bridging the connection to both my xbox and my PC. I've never had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 build

I think he already has a wireless router, he needs a wireless adapter to plug into his desktop so he can connect to his router via wireless connection.

I have this one http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/659695/art/d-link/xtreme-n-pci-express-desk.html. I use it for a lot of online gaming and downloading. It's pretty fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

yea im only looking for the adapter i have an eircom netopia router.

@build
    that looks ok im going to find some reveiws first though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 geekyjay

<p>maplin have a high gain receiver on offer t the moment reduced from over 50 to just under 30, very good, purchased one last week and works v well, using win 7 64bit and eircom netopia router

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

are running the adapter with windows 7 ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

What Coyler was suggesting was that You get a second wifi router and use it as a wireless bridge. Most of these usb wireless dongles are terribly slow, a wireless bridge would give You the best possible signal. The disadvantage of the pci card is that it'll be hidden in behind your pc and obsructed by Your desk etc

Advertisement