Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canvassing for the Lisbon Treaty

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭vanla sighs

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Which is the topic of the thread.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

Yes, it is and that's why I've posted, to explain what I am doing to canvass......I mean if ya really do want to get into a debate about what's a lie and what isn't, what's democratic and what isn't, i.e: invalidating the democratic will of the people as expressed through a free and fair referendum and the putting the exact same treaty before the people again, then that's ok, I can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Yes, it is and that's why I've posted, to explain what I am doing to canvass......I mean if ya really do want to get into a debate about what's a lie and what isn't, what's democratic and what isn't, i.e: invalidating the democratic will of the people as expressed through a free and fair referendum and the putting the exact same treaty before the people again, then that's ok, I can do that.

Which would be welcome, but not in this thread - and that means everyone.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭vanla sighs

Which would be welcome, but not in this thread - and that means everyone.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

Yep, that's why I said to an earlier poster that I wasn't going to get into defending what I wrote here and now. Each is entitled to his or her own opinion and in the end the people will decide, again. Looking forward to canvassing.......well, not really actually but has to be done I guess! :) Peace!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

I haven't been canvassing this time around unfortunately. I canvassed last time round and I can say that on the ground it tends to be very civilized between campaigners on different sides. Libertas guys tried to get us to "debate" them on the street once, but we declined, and I Mary Lou asked us how the campaign was going. Cóir generally didn't engage with us either way. Although one elderly woman from Cóir saw me handing a leaflet to a black man and exclaimed in shock "are you giving leaflets to them too?!"

We got our fair share of abuse alright, but that was all from random crazies on the street and not opposing campaigners. And for that, some of the crazies were nice about it too.

The internet is a totally different story. I've taken nothing but abuse on the net for almost two years now. I think anonymity has a very corrupting influence on an individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I haven't been canvassing this time around unfortunately. I canvassed last time round and I can say that on the ground it tends to be very civilized between campaigners on different sides. Libertas guys tried to get us to "debate" them on the street once, but we declined, and I Mary Lou asked us how the campaign was going. Cóir generally didn't engage with us either way. Although one elderly woman from Cóir saw me handing a leaflet to a black man and exclaimed in shock "are you giving leaflets to them too?!"

We got our fair share of abuse alright, but that was all from random crazies on the street and not opposing campaigners. And for that, some of the crazies were nice about it too.

The internet is a totally different story. I've taken nothing but abuse on the net for almost two years now. I think anonymity has a very corrupting influence on an individual.

On politeness, certainly, but what you're hearing may be much closer to the truth than someone would give you on the doorstep - "sine nomine, veritas" if you like.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I was going to canvass with the Generation yes people, but after ringing me at the ungodly hour of noon the other morning, and telling me they'd pass on my details to the Trinity College people, I haven't heard anymore about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I was going to canvass with the Generation yes people, but after ringing me at the ungodly hour of noon the other morning, and telling me they'd pass on my details to the Trinity College people, I haven't heard anymore about it.

I got the same (sort of) they rung me to see if I was free to canvas at a later date, said I could then they named 3 places, all on the southside, which confused me cause I lived on the northside and couldnt work out why they want me to canvass in portabello. Course it being early in the morn I kept going where? where? not thinking clealy. Will give them a call back when I get a chance to clea it up, was braindead when they called.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Alas, Dick Roche is very far from the most objectionable person involved in this referendum. Does it make you feel better to know you have Nigel Farage, Declan Ganley, Gerry Adams, Brian Greene, Patricia McKenna, Anthony Coughlan, and the rest of those honest worthies on "your" side?

amused,
    Scofflaw

I'd add Martin Ferris.

On politeness, certainly, but what you're hearing may be much closer to the truth than someone would give you on the doorstep - "sine nomine, veritas" if you like.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

I think there maybe some truth in that. People are generally polite and will not say or probably more accurately in this case, are too confused!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    i'll be canvassing come monday, any tips for someone who hasnt gone knocking on peoples doors before?

I usually just knock, say who I am canvassing for and for what, hand over the leaflets just saying they are information points on the lisbon that may help make you decide on the Lisbon. I wont get into a debate or discussion unless asked - min. disturbance imo.

Similar for elections.

Never held much hope for the Generation Yes campaign. Their presentation I was at down my direction seemed to indicate it was not going anywhere fast and poorly organised. May have picked up a bit tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Tarobot

Sorry to hear that, I'll talk to the guys and make sure they get in touch with you - after noon!
    BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I got the same (sort of) they rung me to see if I was free to canvas at a later date, said I could then they named 3 places, all on the southside, which confused me cause I lived on the northside and couldnt work out why they want me to canvass in portabello. Course it being early in the morn I kept going where? where? not thinking clealy. Will give them a call back when I get a chance to clea it up, was braindead when they called.

Again, if you like I can get Patrick to get back in touch with you.
    Sully wrote: »
    INever held much hope for the Generation Yes campaign. Their presentation I was at down my direction seemed to indicate it was not going anywhere fast and poorly organised. May have picked up a bit tho.

Not sure which presentation you were at but Generation Yes are going full-steam ahead. A few of us were outside the UKIP conference yesterday with quite a few non-Gen Yes people also protesting. (heheh, love the attached still of one of the protesters).

We have 3 canvasses going every day (morning, lunch and evening) and we're going to start door-to-door canvassing around the city centre on Monday. Next weekend we're heading outside the GDA (of course there are already loads of people nationwide). I never canvassed before but I have to say its loads of fun - once you have your facts sorted and your wits about you!

• Advertisement
Advertisement