Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going router shopping, advice needed.

Options
  • 17-09-2009 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm on Eircom broadband, using the Netopia router that came with the broadband (which was a few years ago, so I'd say it's not the newest one around, pretty sure it's the Netopia 3347nwg one). For the last few months about 2 or 3 times a day the connection has cut-out and I've had to turn off and on the router from the power button. I've had this problem with an XP desktop and on my Macbook, and the problem goes away once it's reset, so I know it's a problem with the router. Also, I'd like to extend the range a small bit, as I can't get internet in one room in my house. Anyone have any advice for the best router that's not too expensive, with good range? Most of the time there'll be two Macbooks using it wirelessly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Funny you should mention that, I'm on a 3347NWG right now and had to reset it yesterday for the first time (had it years).
    For me the signal reaches all the way to the other end of the house.

Before you splash out on a new maybe do a firmware update?
    What's your Current Software Version?

Open router page, go to Expert mode
    Go to Update Router and click Check Software from Server

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

I'm not actually at home at the minute, so I'll put up the specs tomorrow, or maybe late tonight...Well it reaches most of quite a big house, it's just a shed extension thing that's about a couch-length out of reach, but that's only a minor problem anyway. Let me know if you start getting the same problem! On the macbook I get a "connection timeout" error, or sometimes it says it's connected but nothing will load on safari, and the same kinds of problems on XP.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

I'm no mac fanboy, so not sure of the setup, but am assuming its still wireless b/g they use and nothing special... I would always recommend a Linksys. I have one, can't remember the model, its up in the attic for years, but its legendary. I can go out in the garden (and its a 2+ acre site) and get access for well upto the 50m + it specifies through a block wall.

They are big and tick and ugly yokes, but are proper workhorses... It only cost me about €80 which is very cheap. I have tried belkin and they not great for long range / strong signal. Plus, if you have a PS3 / Wii (like myself) nothing other than the linksys would pick them both up... I went to PC world about 6 times with various routers till I got one that works seamlessly on both!

At present my linksys does the following without any impared signal strength:

1 x Desktop, wired.
    1 x Laptop, wireless
    1 x PS3 - Surfing and Wireless Media Player / Streaming / Online Gaming
    1 x Wii - Surfing / Online Gaming
    1 x Wireless Printer
    (not all at sametime mind!) but still... all connected with ease and straightaway.

Thats all, just my two cents... if you are anyway swayed, I can run up and get the make/model its not a problem... But its 10:45pm and I'm comfy on the couch with a glass of vino right now :)

Good luck with the hunt, hope you fint he perfick router!

DG.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I know I keep saying this but it really is hard to predict the performance of any particular wireless equipment in advance.

However have you confirmed that its not the internet connection thats dropping?

have you checked to see if there are any new wireless networks nearby that might be affecting you?

I presume the linksys referred to above is the wrt54gl.

If the macbook is recent it may have the 'n' standard wireless card so might be worth getting an n standard router as they can add distance to the coverage.

Magnus wrote: »
    Funny you should mention that, I'm on a 3347NWG right now and had to reset it yesterday for the first time (had it years).
    For me the signal reaches all the way to the other end of the house.

Before you splash out on a new maybe do a firmware update?
    What's your Current Software Version?

Open router page, go to Expert mode
    Go to Update Router and click Check Software from Server

Done, now to wait and see if it works. Probably should have updated ages ago...Now I've a new problem, well, not really a problem, but I've updated to version 7.5.0 (nta750.bin), from 7.4.2r2, and it says "Please note: If you have a version 3347NWG gateway 7.4.2r2 it will be necessary to upgrade to 7.5.0 before upgrading to 780r2", but I can't find any way now to update again to 780r2, anyone have any advice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You've updated from 7.4.2r2 to 7.5.0, wait a while to see if this alone fixes the issue.
    If so leave it like that, I heard the latest firmware 7.6 can be unstable.

I've updated the firmware, changed the password to WPA in case anyone was hijacking my internet (although I didn't see any strange MAC adresses on the LAN page) and changed the channel, so I'll wait and see if any of this helps. Thanks guys.

Advertisement