Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun advice

Options
  • 17-09-2009 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭

I have all my paperwork in order and I hope to go shopping for a double barrel tomorrow. I looking at rabbits, game, vermin as well as clay pigeon. I am going to go for one with an ejector but I'm a tad confused about chokes.

I have shot various shotguns in the past, but never paid any attention to the type of ammo I was using. They weren't mine so I just used what I was given. Could someone give me a basic explanation of the pros and cons of fixed vs multi choke.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

multi chokes are a device you fiddle with and something to blame your misses on :rolleyes: .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

What's going to be to happen most ? Clays or game shooting ?

If it's game get a good solid game gun with fixed chokes and if it's clays get a solid sporter with changeable chokes and it won't be too heavy to haul around fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

What's going to be to happen most ? Clays or game shooting ?

If it's game get a good solid game gun with fixed chokes and if it's clays get a solid sporter with changeable chokes and it won't be too heavy to haul around fields.

Thanks it will be mostly game to start off with inanyway, I have only shot clays about 20 times, it more something I would like to get into.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Odysseus wrote: »
    ................but I'm a tad confused about chokes.........Could someone give me a basic explanation of the pros and cons of fixed vs multi choke.

Cheers.

Fixed chokes give good medium/medium short range out to meduim long/long range without having to change chokes to adjust hence the reason alot of game guns come with fixed half and full chokes and the reason alot start at 28" barrels.

Multi chokes come in a variety of usually 8 chokes. Ranging from skeet up to full. Range patterns change i.e. skeet at 30yds could have for talks sake, a 3-4 foot spread. As you go up through the chokes up to full at 30 yds you'll get (again for talks sake) a 6-12 inch spread. They are mainly for clays to allow the shooter to adjust the spread of the shot for the different disciplines.

TBH they can be used for game but only if the shooter is in a wood and wants a wide spread at short distance. Or you can place the half and full choke into the gun and voila you have a game gun. If its game you're after start with a nice 28" game with fixed chokes. You can do a bit of clay shooting with it, like a lad i know who misses very little with his 28", fixed choke game gun, then go back to game hunting. Alternatively go for a sporter. Gives the best of both worlds without committing to either.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

if you're going to be doing mainly game shooting don't over look a side by side , they're light and currently cheap as the fashion is for over and unders , i had a nice one years ago and it was a pleasure to carry and never worried what chokes it had and it didn't seem to matter to anything i shot .

• Advertisement

Cheers thanks erzidax and rowa, it gives me something to discuss at the shop tomorrow. I going alone and trying to see if I find one that feels right, so if I don't see it tomorrow I will pass and try somewhere else. Thanks for the responses.

Just remember lad, chokes, barrel lenght, weight etc are all important to look at but the most important thing is feel. Keep on mounting the gun until you get the feel of it. If it feels "off" don't chance it. The right gun will pick you and then you can worry about the finer points. Best of luck, and let us know how you get on.:D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭pedroeibar

rowa wrote: »
    if you're going to be doing mainly game shooting don't over look a side by side , they're light and currently cheap as the fashion is for over and unders , i had a nice one years ago and it was a pleasure to carry and never worried what chokes it had and it didn't seem to matter to anything i shot .

Good advice. Clays guns are also heavier, to absorb the recoil of repeated shooting. A seven and a half pound clays gun is not the thing to carry on a bog all day! Another drawback to them is that they have a ventilated rib, which can catch stray bits of grass when rough shooting and can disrupt your sight plane.

Choke is a restriction at the end of the barrel that controls the width of the shot string arriving at a target. Depending on the distance to the target, the width could go from being the size of a dinnerplate to that of a dustbin lid. Think of a cone leaving the barrel. At distances up to 40 yards the choke does not really affect the “power” of the pellets, but the spread (pattern) of the shot is different. Firing at a 30 inch circle at 40 yards using an open i.e. no choke barrel, about 40% of the shot will be inside the circle. Using full choke the percentage is 70%. Chokes do not necessarily conform to what they are supposed to be, you really need to fire the gun at a pattern plate.
    P.

pedroeibar wrote: »
    Good advice. Clays guns are also heavier, to absorb the recoil of repeated shooting. A seven and a half pound clays gun is not the thing to carry on a bog all day! Another drawback to them is that they have a ventilated rib, which can catch stray bits of grass when rough shooting and can disrupt your sight plane.....

Opposite could be said against side by side's. No vent rib on top means less heat dispersion and the possiblity of mirage when sighting. A light gun when hunting is grand but if he decides to do some clays, a light gun (3.5 - 5 pound) will blow the shoulder of you after a few bxes of clays as its the shooter taking all the recoil.

Each gun is grand for its designed purpose but if you are thinking of doing both then a sporter is still your best bet. My humble opinion. Go with what you like best.

ezridax wrote: »
    Opposite could be said against side by side's. No vent rib on top means less heat dispersion and the possiblity of mirage when sighting.
    Heat dispersion? I'd love that problem! No problem with hot barrells unless shooting driven birds. SxS is also better for those with dominant eye problems, due to sight plane.
    A light gun when hunting is grand but if he decides to do some clays, a light gun (3.5 - 5 pound) will blow the shoulder of you after a few bxes of clays as its the shooter taking all the recoil.
    At 3.5 - 5 lb it would have to be a 410, hardly suited to game/clays. Even the 12g Beretta Ultralight is 6 lbs. A regular SxS gun at 6.5 lbs is not a problem for a round or two of clays.
    Each gun is grand for its designed purpose but if you are thinking of doing both then a sporter is still your best bet. My humble opinion. Go with what you like best.
    Sort of. But go with what fits, not always what you like best, (or can afford :() ..not always the same.:D
    P.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Sort of. But go with what fits, not always what you like best,

Best piece of advice you can get. Make sure it fits you!

Cheers thanks for all the help. I'm just back, tried a few and ended up going for a Lanber 12g o/u game gun; with 30 inch barrels

Heat dispersion? I'd love that problem! No problem with hot barrells unless shooting driven birds....

Or clays.
    A seven and a half pound clays gun is not the thing to carry on a bog all day...........
    At 3.5 - 5 lb it would have to be a 410, hardly suited to game/clays. Even the 12g Beretta Ultralight is 6 lbs. A regular SxS gun at 6.5 lbs is not a problem for a round or two of clays.....

Seem to be contradicting yourself. 7 - 7.5 pounds to heavy. 6.5 is great:confused:. How can half a pound make that much difference.

I’ve no interest in prolonging this. The OP said “mostly game”, he has bought his gun and I hope he enjoys it. He will if it fits him.
    Most 12g game guns are 6.5-7 lbs. A clays gun typically starts at about 8 lbs and many e.g. Perazzi are around 9. If you had carried one of those around a bog for a day you would know what difference an extra pound or more makes, and you would not be :confused:

P

Originally Posted by pedroeibar
    I’ve no interest in prolonging this..........

Neither do i.

Odysseus wrote: »
    Cheers thanks for all the help. I'm just back, tried a few and ended up going for a Lanber 12g o/u game gun; with 30 inch barrels

Well done. Best of luck.

Well done. Best of luck.

Thanks, paperwork is done so I just have the long wait ahead of me now.

No hanging around, eh. Good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

dont worry about chokes 1/4 and 1/2 are pleanty or 1/2 and 3/4 just make sure it feels right and fits you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

And Lanber aren't a bad gun for the money at all either.

And Lanber aren't a bad gun for the money at all either.

Cheers, after bargining I got it for 800e I'm happy with that. Does that sound reasonable?

• Advertisement
Advertisement