Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing in games development..??

• 17-09-2009 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Any info on this course?. I'm hoping to become a developer and was just wondering what this course is like, and what the career opurtunities are like?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭--SmItHy--

That_Guy wrote: »
    i was hoping for a personal insight on the course but thanks anyway:cool:...anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

The course is fairly new so it will have changed a lot from people who have it to now, for example I started the geberal computing course 4 years ago and it was brand new, through our feedback the course has been tweaked and changed.

So the info on the dkit website would be a good starting point.

Getting peoples insight can be hard and there generally not going to give up there time to post a detailed post on boards, if you want you could email the head of the dept asking could you come in and either talk to the class or sit in on some classes.

do you want to become specifically a games developer?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭--SmItHy--

draffodx wrote: »
    The course is fairly new so it will have changed a lot from people who have it to now, for example I started the geberal computing course 4 years ago and it was brand new, through our feedback the course has been tweaked and changed.

So the info on the dkit website would be a good starting point.

Getting peoples insight can be hard and there generally not going to give up there time to post a detailed post on boards, if you want you could email the head of the dept asking could you come in and either talk to the class or sit in on some classes.

do you want to become specifically a games developer?

well a games developer/software developer..

--SmItHy-- wrote: »
    well a games developer/software developer..

I'm not 100% sure but the Games development course seems to lean heavily to the Games development side of things and I'm not sure how much opportunity it presents to be a general software developer.

The software development course would take in a lot more of a software developers lifecycle however the Games development course probably does too.

The Games development course contains A LOT of maths and mathematical thinking whereas the Software Development course doesn't, this is because 3d graphics & effects are all about maths.

You will be programming in C++ mainly in the games course whereas you'll be doing Java in the software development course, however once you know a object orientated language you can pick up another fairly easily.

You'd have to ask yourself if you REALLY want to get into the games industry and if you do then go for the games development course however beware that it is a tough course and the software development course would be an easier choice if you dont want to get into the games industry.

Hope this is of some help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Junior #8

Sorry to correct you, but you will do only a small amount of C++, if none at all.
    You will do more HLSL, than C++

Rumour has it that there has been huge problems with the course, 4th years have had massive problems for the last two years.
    It is slightly games related witha alot of superflous content.
    Alot of students in it are concerned.
    Lets hope its rectified with new course outlines in the near future.

Almost all of the programming later in the course will be in C# with the XNA platform, not C++
    the basics are tought in Java.
    Libraries do most of the mathematical things in games anyway.
    The Software people learn .net languages and i think a little bit of java
    there is a little less of the maths than you think, but it helps to be strong at it.
    If you need more info, PM and ill get you in touch with someone who will give you a reflection of the course

Junior #8 wrote: »
    The Software people learn .net languages and i think a little bit of java

I've just graduated from the Software Development/Commercial Computing course this year and its the other way around, its very heavily Java based with only one semester and one module covering .Net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

here's an interesting article on the Games industry in Ireland.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/14335/business/irish-games-industry-grows-400pc-in-seven-years

rgds,

Advertisement