Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battery Query

Options
  • 17-09-2009 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Another query!:confused:
    The battery doesn't seem to be getting charged while driving? Could that be because the battery is old or past it or could it be a fault with the charging system? After a drive the lights do stay on, but for a very short time. Charging from the mains at home seems to give the same result.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Battery has probably had it. When they get old and/or a deep discharge they don't relly hold a charge anymore.

But before you throw it away ...check that there is enough (destilled) water in every cell ...it might just recover after a top-up

• Registered Users Posts: 41 bhaneasa

Thanks peasant -
    I also tried connecting a new battery to the old battery & found that the new battery seemed to discharge because it didn't last long. Got the battery in halfords (110 ah) and used it straight out of the box. Should I have charged it at home first?

(I am now charging that new battery overnight) Will install tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

It should have worked from new... Have you a voltmeter to see if the leisure battery is getting full power from the charging system , while the engine is running ? Though it does sound like your old battery has died ....

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

Your new battery out of hallfords would of come charged.

Sounds to me that your charger might need looked at if the new one is loosing charge as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Did ye get sorted? Sorry I couldn't help you when you rang , but my other half had just surprised me with a the news we were going away for the weekend!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement