Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

??? Alvin Lucier / Iannis Xenakis (site specific) or similar?

• 17-09-2009 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

Also interested in Paul Horn's work inside the Taj Mahal. I'm just wondering does anyone know of anything out there which really makes use of the acoustics of a site as part of the music.

I mention Xenakis obviously because of his architectural backround, I'm wondering did he get involved in this kind of thing. Basically I'm looking for site specific stuff, hopefully some links to the actual process behind it too.

many thanks...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

passed a poster today for Peter Monaghan doing a site specific thing called 12 tones.

anybody know anything about it? is it music? visual art?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I'm not sure if Xenakis was so concerned about using acoustics in his processes, not in the same way as Lucier anyway. The scores for one or more of his works (Metastasis?) were inspired by the same mathematical processes that inspired architecture, but I don't think the acoustics of the architecture came into it. I'm sure I could be wrong though.

David Byrne did something that was intended to play an entire building as an instrument - is that the sort of thing you had in mind? http://www.davidbyrne.com/art/art_projects/playing_the_building/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭anti-venom

You might want to check out David Monacchi's Eco-Acoustic Compositions album. It's very good and maybe something of what your after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I'm loving Metastasis. I was wondering did he actually use the buildings acoustic or was it like you said more to do with the mathematics. I guess it may be the latter.

I'm looking for something that specifically uses the venues acoustic. Not un-like Lucien.

I saw David Byrnes piece recently on d'internet, that looks fantacstic. I'll check out David Monacchi and report back.

Thanks chaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

There's a performance of "I am Sitting in a Room" planned for during DEAF 2009 btw.

• Advertisement
Advertisement