Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shamrock Rovers winning the League would be a good thing?

• 17-09-2009 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭

I just feel that if Shamrock Rovers win the league this year it would be a good thing for the LOI. They have recieved so much good press this year while others have not, (im not mentioning names) that if they win it, its a positive story for the league for once. What do yous think?:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

the league is staying in dublin ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Hmmm opening up a massive can of worms here. What I will say is that I believe Rovers would be much better equiped next season for any potential Champions League qualifying campaign playing staff wise.

Unless Bohs sign up nine more barmen of course :P

I disagree. Bohs are struggling but I think Rovers are a completely inferior side. I mean player for player, Bohs imo blow Rovers out of the water. It doesn't say much when the 2nd strongest team in the League is Shamrock Rovers. If you win the League it will be because we messed up, not the strength of Rovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Oh this should be good :)

While realistically I was thinking 4th this year would be a good return for the first year at home, get settled, get the new manager and his regime in place etc... build in the off season and mount a serious bid next year. Its exceed all of that so far and we find ourselves in with a shout.

Other fans may not like it but at present Rovers is a good news story and the op is correct the LOI given all the bad press recently could do with one. Whats even more significant is that we are doing this within budget and well within the wage cap. Gate recepits have been a huge plus and thats good regardless of which team it is. Lets get people back to the LOI.

I was thinking of putting in plenty more but I don't want to be the one to light the fire on this thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

ANTIFA! wrote: »
    I disagree. Bohs are struggling but I think Rovers are a completely inferior side. I mean player for player, Bohs imo blow Rovers out of the water. It doesn't say much when the 2nd strongest team in the League is Shamrock Rovers. If you win the League it will be because we messed up, not the strength of Rovers.
    Or because of wage cap issues ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

ANTIFA! wrote: »
    I disagree. Bohs are struggling but I think Rovers are a completely inferior side. I mean player for player, Bohs imo blow Rovers out of the water. It doesn't say much when the 2nd strongest team in the League is Shamrock Rovers.

Do you really think you'll have anything approaching the squad you currently have next season?

I think 'completel inferior' is unfair to Rovers. Twigg, Bermingham, Sives, McGuire, Rice, Kavanagh would have more than a fair shout at getting into the Boez team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

I know this thread could end up in a big argument between Bohs and Shamrock rvs fans but I feel at this point its time to make it LOI against the world not Bohs against Shamrock Rvs. Our league has suffered big time over the last 2 to 3 years( whats new says you). If shamrock win the league, I feel its better for all clubs including Bohs, because the positive spin that would be brought from this, could help the league to no end. I for one hope its Shamrock Rovers that win it this year and not because I have anything against Bohs but because I want this league to work and Shamrock Rovers winning is a good news story the league cant afford to miss out on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Twigg walks in, Rice and Kavanagh would be decent backup to Deegan and Keegan.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I've said throughout that Rovers aren't good enough to be champions, but that doesn't mean they won't ;). Recent second half performances haven't been good enough and they were punished in the cup.

I think their success can be looked at by the next stable club's performance rather than where they finish in the league. I think the success of their modus operandi will be interesting when Shels go up this season (touch of death....)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

The whole LOI against the rest thing is more counterproductive than productive. And not even in the alienating people kind of way. Whats exciting about fans supporting the league as a whole instead of their own club? You wouldn't find a Liverpool fan supporting United or Chelsea in Europe, and thats what barstoolers (sorry lads, I'm gonna call a spade a spade) find exciting. How many Irish people are there out there that view the rivalry between Man United and Liverpool as the most exciting thing about supporting the club? Loads I'd say.

I don't hope Bohs, Pats, Rovers or Fingal do well no matter who they're playing. Be it Red Bull Salzburg or Red Cow FC. I personally couldn't care less who wins the league this year, just hope both of them puts themselves in as bad a financial situation as possible so they're weaker for when we eventually get back up to the Premier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Either way, Rovers will dominate irish football over the next 10 years while everyone else plays catchup.

Quint wrote: »
    Either way, Rovers will dominate irish football over the next 10 years while everyone else plays catchup.
    you make it sound like it's going to happen by means of a wrongdoing there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

This season Rovers are shocking, seriously they have beaten us 4 times this season and fair enough we are quite bad ourselves. But seriously they are shocking, they have played well in the last 12 years and beaten us maybe 5 times ? Now they are awful and they are 1 point off top and beat us 4 times :confused:

We destroyed teams in the last 2 years and still finished between 12 and 19 points off top. Something is not right :confused:

Rovers winning the league is good for Rovers fans only. Just hope they dotn win the league in Richmond and that "never relegated" banner comes back to haunt us :D

Quint wrote: »

10 years? Not a hope. Something will go wrong, always does. Both Shels and Fingal represent serious challengers when they get up to the Premier (not immediately for Shels, maybe for Fingal) as do Dundalk if they can stay out of money problems and get rid of that chancer.

DSB wrote: »
    The whole LOI against the rest thing is more counterproductive than productive. And not even in the alienating people kind of way. Whats exciting about fans supporting the league as a whole instead of their own club? You wouldn't find a Liverpool fan supporting United or Chelsea in Europe, and thats what barstoolers (sorry lads, I'm gonna call a spade a spade) find exciting. How many Irish people are there out there that view the rivalry between Man United and Liverpool as the most exciting thing about supporting the club? Loads I'd say.

I don't hope Bohs, Pats, Rovers or Fingal do well no matter who they're playing. Be it Red Bull Salzburg or Red Cow FC. I personally couldn't care less who wins the league this year, just hope both of them puts themselves in as bad a financial situation as possible so they're weaker for when we eventually get back up to the Premier.

All I can say is what a pity. This attitude gets us nowhere. We should be in this together while still having rivalries. We are not the english league and giving an english league example does not relate to this debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Bohs clearly have a better team, and they must be commended for unexpectedly finding so many great players amongst the ground-staff.

Although off-topic, I think it's a disservice to say that Kavanagh, Bermingham, Sives, Rice, Murphy and Twigg in particular wouldn't get near the Bohs side. Twigg has outscored Byrne despite only talking one penalty all season and sitting out a few games. Kavanagh hasn't a good run at the level he's just stepped up to, and for me, Sives looks set to become a major centre-half if he gets a decent run.

It's academic anyway. Rovers are a team in progress. Some serious riding of luck has went on this season. A second-place finish would more than exceed my original expectations even if our momentum has given me some hope about the league. Personally, I feel that Rovers could win the league, but won't.

Hopefully Shels will add the first division title to their no doubt overdue Nobel Prize. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

dreamers75 wrote: »
    This season Rovers are shocking, seriously they have beaten us 4 times this season and fair enough we are quite bad ourselves. But seriously they are shocking, they have played well in the last 12 years and beaten us maybe 5 times ? Now they are awful and they are 1 point off top and beat us 4 times :confused:

Having said that Rovers are about 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 times better than last year. I won't mind if that sort of improvement continues...

I think we're running out of steam a bit. As dfx pointed out already our second half performances have been shocking lately and I feel we can't last another 9 games. Barring a complete collapse at Dalymount I can't see it being 16 league titles yet.

All I can say is what a pity. This attitude gets us nowhere. We should be in this together while still having rivalries. We are not the english league and giving an english league example does not relate to this debate.

In what together? Are you not happy with the league as it is?

• Advertisement

dfx- wrote: »
    Having said that Rovers are about 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 times better than last year. I won't mind if that sort of improvement continues...

Seriously i know we are **** and our players dont want to play for us and our manager is ehh not very good but 4 ****ing times!!!!!!

I demand a Europa League Bonus be placed on the last game of the season!!!!

To be honest, the thought of having to go to Riichmond Park on the last day of the season with anything riding on the result is scary.

If the chance of sending Pats down is still alive it'll be some game :)

In what together? Are you not happy with the league as it is?

In the fact that we all want a better league.
    If you are a true LOI fan you would not be happy with the league as it is. Simple really.
    Now DSB could we not make this personal for once. You hate SF and I dislike Shels, lets not make it about that or the fact you and me argue like cats and dogs (honestly please)

Voltwad wrote: »

A distinct possibility. we might get 100 fans out for it :p

A distinct possibility. we might get 100 fans out for it :p
    Your support at Tallaght was actually good. In full voice too. I can't understand why it's weathered for the home games

In keeping with historical tradition, O Connor or Maguire to send them down with a back-heel. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I couldn't listen to them talking about it for the next 15 years or however long it is since they won the League, sure we still hear them talking about the last FAI Cup they won 22 years ago.:P

In the fact that we all want a better league.
    If you are a true LOI fan you would not be happy with the league as it is. Simple really.
    Now DSB could we not make this personal for once. You hate SF and I dislike Shels, lets not make it about that or the fact you and me argue like cats and dogs (honestly please)

This isn't personal. Its my actual opinion. Of course I'm happy with the league as it is, I'd like my club's fortunes to improve, couldn't care less about Pats, Bohs, Bray, Mervue or anyone else. I like to do LOI sides do well in Europe but thats only for the coefficient. If I wanted to support a league where the standard in general was very high I would have went elsewhere so suffice to say I love the league as it is. And no I'm not a true LOI fan, I'm a true Shels fan.

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    Bohs clearly have a better team, and they must be commended for unexpectedly finding so many great players amongst the ground-staff.

Although off-topic, I think it's a disservice to say that Kavanagh, Bermingham, Sives, Rice, Murphy and Twigg in particular wouldn't get near the Bohs side. Twigg has outscored Byrne despite only talking one penalty all season and sitting out a few games. Kavanagh hasn't a good run at the level he's just stepped up to, and for me, Sives looks set to become a major centre-half if he gets a decent run.

It's academic anyway. Rovers are a team in progress. Some serious riding of luck has went on this season. A second-place finish would more than exceed my original expectations even if our momentum has given me some hope about the league. Personally, I feel that Rovers could win the league, but won't.

Hopefully Shels will add the first division title to their no doubt overdue Nobel Prize. :D

Problem with Rovers is their fans :D Seriously some expect the league this season, some chanting MON out :eek:

I know a good few rovers fans and one is shocked they are second, goes to every game and is utterly shocked they are 2nd.

Tuesday night was a wake up call to the Dublin clubs, average players playing with 100% effort and well organised by decent manager will beat anyone. And none of those average players on even half what we paying be it barstaff(bohs), partime on 1200(rovers) or fulltime on 2800(us)

Sadly we copped that on the 1st day,hopefully any minute now our manager will cop that.

MON is a decent manager but LOI will take him down, it always does.

Your support at Tallaght was actually good. In full voice too. I can't understand why it's weathered for the home games

Same way you got less than a 1000 in Tolka people wont pay to watch ****.
    stovelid wrote: »
    In keeping with historical tradition, O Connor or Maguire to send them down with a back-heel. :D

Hopefully its O Connor, he will miss.

Daragh will ensure hes unfit it comes to playing vs in a relegation decider, i like him :D

This isn't personal. Its my actual opinion. Of course I'm happy with the league as it is, I'd like my club's fortunes to improve, couldn't care less about Pats, Bohs, Bray, Mervue or anyone else. I like to do LOI sides do well in Europe but thats only for the coefficient. If I wanted to support a league where the standard in general was very high I would have went elsewhere so suffice to say I love the league as it is. And no I'm not a true LOI fan, I'm a true Shels fan.

Thats fair enough.

I just want the league to improve. That doesnt mean I havnt loved the league this season. Its been more exciting to me than any Premiership could ever be. Iv been chatting recently in various forums about the run in for the first Division and I find the excitement unbareable.

Thats fair enough.

I just want the league to improve. That doesnt mean I havnt loved the league this season. Its been more exciting to me than any Premiership could ever be. Iv been chatting recently in various forums about the run in for the first Division and I find the excitement unbareable.

oh wait till you taste the excitment of possible relegation, us pats fans virgins in this territory.

oh wait till you taste the excitment of possible relegation, us pats fans virgins in this territory.
    All together now:

You can shove your f*ckin banner up your arse :)

All together now:

You can shove your f*ckin banner up your arse :)

We get to keep Tallaght Rent Boys tho ;)

ya`ll miss us for our banners :(

• Advertisement

We get to keep Tallaght Rent Boys tho ;)

ya`ll miss us for our banners :(
    I think our 'rather one season relegated than forever medicated' takes the biscuit :)

Had a bit of a laugh at the Rent Boys one myself, to be fair.

ahh yes medication advice from the homeless, hopefully next week its alcohol related advice :D

We win the best banner award for the one in Cork :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Problem with Rovers is their fans :D Seriously some expect the league this season, some chanting MON out :eek:

I know a good few rovers fans and one is shocked they are second, goes to every game and is utterly shocked they are 2nd.

Absolutely agree here but then again every clubs has the fans that are like this. The extremists. I heard fans calling for MON's head 3 games into the season!

I'm personally shocked that we are 2nd. As I said earlier I thought 4th was a realistic target this season but give the way its gone the league is there for the taking. Its in our hands. Beat Bohs at home and don't slip up and we have the title. I think the best way to describe the current situation was summed up by a mate after coming out of the last Drogs match.

His words: "I can see exactly why they are down there but I can't see why we are up there!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I, like alot of Hoops expected us to maybe challenge for europe & finish 3rd or4th & hoped for a decent cup run, whereas i'm suprised we're in the lofty heights of 2nd & at the moment genuine challengers we are most definitely nowhere near the finished article, though in saying that i find the references to us being 'shocking' or 'rubbish' or similar a little disingenous, afterall we can only beat whats put in front of us & up till now thats not been alot.

I've been going to LOI games for 28 years & TBH theres not that many league winning sides i'd ever refer to as 'great' sides to watch, i always thought that they (the eventual champions) were beatable & managed to merely slog it out better than their rivals, this league has never been about pretty football, its a hard fought, physical league & the eventual winners more often than not represent that, this year will be no different, whoever ultimately wins it IMO.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Well ive a bet on Shams for the league at 7/1 so.....
    Hmmm opening up a massive can of worms here. What I will say is that I believe Rovers would be much better equiped next season for any potential Champions League qualifying campaign playing staff wise.

So your saying there may be some bar jobs going in Phibbsboro around xmas?:P
    Tuesday night was a wake up call to the Dublin clubs, average players playing with 100% effort and well organised by decent manager will beat anyone. And none of those average players on even half what we paying be it barstaff(bohs), partime on 1200(rovers) or fulltime on 2800(us)

Heard about Pats ringing clubs trying to offload a few players during the window
    Everything would be going fine until the players wages were mentioned

The replies went along the lines of
    "How much are you playing him?" much laughter "I could get 3 or 4 better than him with that" end of phone call:D
    I like bohs, team of choice when i lived in that Dublin, but honestly they should go down for this lark!!!

At the end of the day, what exactly is the difference between using loopholes and cheating?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Iv been chatting recently in various forums about the run in for the first Division and I find the excitement unbareable.

I'm still hoping Shels and yourselves end up finding the final table to be unbearable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

elshambo wrote: »

Posted on our official forum back at the start of the season that I thought Rovers was a good punt at 16/1 (at the time) and everyone told me to go and ...., even Rovers fans told me not to waste my money and well I didn't put the tenner on it that I was going to.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Heard about Pats ringing clubs trying to offload a few players during the window
    Everything would be going fine until the players wages were mentioned

The replies went along the lines of
    "How much are you playing him?" much laughter "I could get 3 or 4 better than him with that" end of phone call:D

I like bohs, team of choice when i lived in that Dublin, but honestly they should go down for this lark!!!

At the end of the day, what exactly is the difference between using loopholes and cheating?:confused:

I seem to remember certain clubs (not to far back) using ground improvement grants to pay players wages...people in glass houses...

Watch the small print: you'll be working in shorts, rather than serving them. :pac:

normal service has been resumed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

One is legal, the other isn't.....

Zebra3 wrote: »
    One is legal, the other isn't.....

One puts you millions in debt, at risk of going out of business and destroy's the integrity of the league, the other one.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

One puts you millions in debt, at risk of going out of business and destroy's the integrity of the league, the other one.......

But loopholes can also allow you to legally clear your debt and give you a legal, but unfair advantage over your rivals....

Zebra3 wrote: »
    But loopholes can also allow you to legally clear your debt and give you a legal, but unfair advantage over your rivals....

Does the league no favours either

U seem alright with Bohs having a team for the Bols cocktail world cup thought??:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement