Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swallows

Options
  • 17-09-2009 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

I have a swallows nest with new chicks in it, isnt it very late for
    them to be born? and will it be possible for them to migrate?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Seems very late for chicks and unless they overwinter in west Cork I think they will be lucky to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Thats what I was thinking, they have only hatched about two days, and are chirping away the parents are feeding them, and presume they will stay until they are fledged anyway. I have had nests for years and have never had one so late in the year. Hope they stay and take their chances here.

I don't really believe they overwinter in Ireland but who knows and with the departure dates 'apparently' getting later.....I had a thread last year keeping track of the latest date for Swallow sightings but I can't remember what the latest one was. Who knows with global warming?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

There seems to be just the parent birds here still, had about ten of them
    last week but they seem to have gone. Will keep an eye on it and post
    updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭stevensi

It is a bit late but not unusal. There has been some discussion on other sites about swallows still with young going into September. If the settled weather stays the same for another while they may have a chance as last evening i saw a few swallows swooping around my place, also there were a good number of small flies flying about. I have seen a swallow in Ireland in November before so who knows...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

stevensi wrote: »
    It is a bit late but not unusal. There has been some discussion on other sites about swallows still with young going into September. If the settled weather stays the same for another while they may have a chance as last evening i saw a few swallows swooping around my place, also there were a good number of small flies flying about. I have seen a swallow in Ireland in November before so who knows...

Wereabouts was that?

Was in Cork off the coast but a few years back. I know there has been stories of some even overwintering around Cornwall but wether that is true or not i don't know.

According to Irishbirding.com - a really useful resource - the last Swallow recorded on its site for 2008 was on the 29th November (!) at Broad Lough, Co.Wicklow and the earliest this year was the 18th March 2009 at Lough Bradan, Co.Tyrone. You can see these dates are creeping towards each other. :)

Just found this link: http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/expert/previous/swallowmigration.asp

and this more definitive link here: http://www.thisiswesternmorningnews.co.uk/news/Swallow-survives-freezing-winter-Cornwall/article-622136-detail/article.html

Maybe this will be the year???

Swallows in West Waterford - originally posted by Dummy 31-10-2008
    'My family & I were just coming in across the fields from a walk on the beach when I saw swallows flying about. They were doing their arial acrobatics and then landing on fencing.

Today is a beautiful blue sky day here on the coast in West Waterford. Current outdoor temp is 11.1 celcius with a north easterly wind of 14.5 mph and 1004.6 hPA pressure. So it is similar to an average Irish Summers day here.

I have never seen swallows at this time of year before. Am I wrong or should these guys not be on vacation in Northern Africa at this point?'

So we have a way to go yet before reaching this sighting which was on my thread on the subject last year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

I watched a pair of swallows feeding their young chick (s) in an exterior nest in the apex of a gable on the last house at Narin Strand, Donegal, yesterday afternoon. The nest may have been a borrowed one but they were defo swallows.

The chick that was hanging out of the nest looked a fair size. I hope they make it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

They have all left our area. There was loads up until a few weeks ago. You would miss them flying around. Place seems a little quieter without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭donalglackin

i seen a swallows nest in greystones two weeks ago. didnt see any chicks but i seen two adults regularly returning. i was pretty far away but i thought i could hear chicks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Still have swallows in Limerick too. Adult birds were out feeding earlier today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Still plent in the North East. We usually have them until the 3rd week in October.

The swallows on the Dawros penisnsula usually leave at beginning of Sept. The others have gone, the kamikaze car chasing swallows who hang out the shaded sections of road, waiting for a car to kick up some insects, they're all gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Still plent in the North East. We usually have them until the 3rd week in October.

Really? Why is there so much in the difference of them leaving? Iv been in Carlow some of last week and today and there's none around here either. Its funny to look up into the sky now and not see them. Looks very bare

Availability of food has a lot to do with it. They also move towards the coast before leaving the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭secman

Sat the 19th Sept I saw about 60/70 swallows gathering on and around our house, (out the coast from Gorey) and on Sunday there wasn't a swallow to be seen. Presumed this was a local gathering for the "trip" to Africa. All during the week and last Sat still none to be seen, but on Sunday saw about 7/8 zooming around ?

Secman

3 overhead right now in North Louth.:)

60+ last evening.

• Advertisement

I see AutumnWatch starts again on BBC. I wonder if they will feature any late hatched swallows.

Yeah i see Autumnwatch is starting this evening. It'll be interesting to see the new format. Before it was on for an hour every week day evening for 2 weeks but now they are having it on for 1 hour every friday night but over 8 weeks i think. I wonder will the format work...

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

About 10 meandering south over North Kildare this afternoon...

2 this morning passing through...hope they get a move on

Any Swallows still about where you are - anybody? 14 seen at Tacumshin in south Wexford on the 23rd October see Irish Birding.com - one very useful site! http://www.irishbirding.com/birds/web

It's starting to get cold now so the question of Swallows overwintering once again occupies my mind (that part of it not taken up with the Magners League and Heineken Cup). :D

Last ones I saw were over N. Kildare heading South Oct 11th. At least 6 of them. Will keep an eye out for ya, but don't hold your breath :)

The weather is so damn miserable now I think this will not be the year that sees a swallow surviving the winter in Ireland. Irishbirding.com reports the most recent sighting of a solitary individual near Gorey, Co.Wexford on the 18th November. Any other sightings? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Quick question. When the swallows return next spring, do they feed on the wing or are they a visitor to bird tables?

Swallows feed on insects on the wing and do not visit bird tables. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Much appriciated. As you can tell, this is only a recent interest of mine and im still learning so apologies for the silly question. Ive only put the bird table out the back garden about a week ago but the blue tit is the most impressive visitor ive had so far. Would like to see a bullfinch or two but we'll see.

Advertisement