Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Camp Sites

Options
  • 17-09-2009 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hey all. I plan to go camping in the next 3-4 weeks and I'm looking for a proper place. I sadly read this thread till the end: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=139431

Has anybody been there recently? Is it so bad? Sounded like a perfect area.

I'm looking for a remote place, far from other people and civilization, in the forest, for 3-day retreat. I must forget about my work for a while, it drives me crazy :) this way it's guaranteed.

No alcohol, no parties, just pure experience. And of course no sign of us when we're gone. Can anybody recommend a good place one of these counties: Louth, Meath, Cavan, Westmeath, Offaly, Laois, Kildare, Wicklow, or Carlow? I'd rather not go north (safety) and I don't want to spend too much time driving - it's my short holiday in the end.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Places in Wicklow I've camped that are really remote. Not all are near forest.
    Lough Ouler. It's the heart shaped lake North east of Tonlegee; there should be somewhere reasonably good to camp at the headland at the mountain end of the lake. No forest

Cleevaun Lough, North of Mullachcleevaun. Not as accessible as Lough Ouler, probably not as easy to find a good site. one of the highest lakes in Wicklow at about 700m. No forest.

The end of Glenmalure, up near 3 lakes. You can camp on the river bank, either on the forest side or across from it.

Fraughan Rock Glen, Glenmalure. The top of the waterfall is one of my favorite places to camp, it's got great views, good soil (not peat) for camping, but no forest up here. you can camp at the bottom of the waterfall, the forest has been clearfelled some years ago but there should be enough scrub and logs left about for firewood, if you light the fire on the track.

There's a load of forest between the Fraughen Rock Glen and end of Glenmalure. There's new forestry roads through here, but you can probably figure out the old table track, and camp along it.

Then there's near Barravore and the hostel. you can drive right there, but so can anyone else.

In Aughavannagh, you can take a forestry road up the Ow valley til it's end. you could find somewhere to camp here easily enough

You could find somewhere around Croughanmoira, it has firebreak trails to the top of the mountain and great views from there, and a forest all up most of one side.

Croughan Kinsella would have Forestry and though a lot of it has been clearfelled ther'd still be places.

One place, it's near Lough Dan, you go up past the adventure centre to the end of the road, along a hiking trail, up and over and up the river to a copse of oak trees, about 2km from the lake. There might be passers by and Scouts around if it's the weekend but it's a really nice place.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭tamlinek

thank you!

Advertisement