Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullying and Offencive behavior,Airsoft Adverts, your opinions on this?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Airsofty

"Clutching at straws" I don’t see how to be honest. In fact Masada should be commended for stating exactly what is on a lot of Forum user’s minds in relation to using or placing ads in the Airsoft section of boards.

Depending on who the moderator is, the slightest faux pas in an advert can be met with over reaction and on occasion met with an air of superiority. Aside from this it would appear to me, that decisions are made on the individual moderator’s mood on the day, and in my opinion the adverts moderation in general lacks continuity.

Regardless moderators set the standard for everyone else, so in short if the moderator uses bad language and personal comments on individual users why wouldn’t everyone think it was ok to do the same.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Masada wrote: »
    steve, a mod of your experience should know, no matter what you have to put up with in your thankless job, you do not retaliate to rule breaking, by rule breaking,. I don't think i've ever seen any such posts by yourself? If it's ok the hey, let's all dish out slaps and unmercyful beatings, aparently it's the norm,.
    Thank you, I sincerely hope you never do witness me venting anger at someone I'm banning, if that ever happens I'll be one step closer to jacking it in as I don't believe I should moderate that way.
    I'm curious though, what rules are you accusing Lemming of breaching exactly?
    Airsofty wrote: »
    "Clutching at straws" I don’t see how to be honest. In fact Masada should be commended for stating exactly what is on a lot of Forum user’s minds in relation to using or placing ads in the Airsoft section of boards.
    If there are other issues then start another thread on them. This thread was started accusing a mod of two things - 1. being biased because of a parsonal involvement with a poster and 2. his choice of words used when dealing with someone who had contempt for the community and broke the rules.

1 - there was no bias, the moderation was fair.
    2 - while I don't agree with using profanities against someone who is taking the mick out of the community, I can understand why it was done and, tbh, deserved in a lot of cases.
    Depending on who the moderator is, the slightest faux pas in an advert can be met with over reaction and on occasion met with an air of superiority. Aside from this it would appear to me that decisions are made on the individual moderator’s mood on the day and the adverts moderation in general lacks continuity.
    I disagree - nobody has actually shown where a ban was handed out unfairly.
    Regardless moderators set the standard for everyone else, so in short if the moderator uses bad language and personal comments on individual users why wouldn’t everyone think it was ok to do the same.....
    I agree with you on this. Are there any cases where anyone was banned for using foul language in that particular forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm going to stay clear out of this, although I'd like to put forward my full support for the threads concept and idea.

I'm in long standing opinion that sometimes the professionalism and conduct of some moderators across Boards.ie is downright appalling. There attempts at humour or making a funny is downright tumbleweed most times.

In relation to the thread itself, I thought the ban was somewhat harsh, but I think there is no doubt rules were broken.

The main point here for me was the absolute shameful disgraceful conduct used by a mod.

I've long since pulled my subscription payment from this site, as I'm not handing over money to a business that employs people who feel they can act like god because of a small title. Granted the jobs hard, its thankless and its voluntary, that is no excuse for acting in this way.

I always have a problem when a mod posts something like this, and it does nothing but cement the stereotype that mods are arseholes, and get frequent power trips.

This could have all been avoided by just a 10 line max post explaining the user was banned.

No offence to the guy banned, but he was so new to the forum no one would give two ****s he was gone, and frankly no one gives a **** reading mods "poor" (id like to highlight that word when it should be abysmal) attempts at comedy.

I genuinely cannot even describe what the hell that sort of carry on is. And it reflects extremely badly on the site as a whole.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62138879&postcount=15

That is the only thing I see wrong in that thread, obviously mods can correct me, but anything else looks like simple haggling and bargaining. That guy hasn't posted anything different then what goes on in most threads really.

On reflection I completely agree with Masada that this is a bit of a joke and completely unacceptable. Sometimes I wonder what criteria and rules mods have to stick within?

A simple pm to the poster " Can you please refrain from excessive posting in the thread?" Or something along those lines? Similar from what I see from most mods, its taking the easy way, the contraversial way and most of the times the ****ing awkward annoying way out that tends to piss me off. Instead of going that extra 4 minutes to directly contact a poster and try solve the situation that way, or even make a public post asking for constraint, you spend 30 minutes coming up with a detailed breakdown of humiliation for the poor chap

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62138709&postcount=13

This I also have a problem with.

The banned user was making sufficient bids in my book..... He was offering close enough, nothing on adverts goes for face value, so he was making a genuine effort, and incrementing bit by bit.

The poster is obviously not 100% up on airsoft with the relation to his post about receiving the item from America for 100 dollars, and from his posting demeanor you can clearly see he is of young to teens age.

"Bids" are put on adverts, simple as. I'll never offer the asking price because A) I know I'll get a deal B) its not worth it C) im chancing my arm. The nature of second hand goods.

Then insisting the posts are crap and harrasment? Get a ****ing grip? If you cant see that is clearly a kid who is new to boards, excited about buying stuff or something along those lines?

The OP also could have avoided this instead of trying to be elegant and smart, a simple " Sorry but I'm going to hold out for the full price"

Its ironic that its always peoples shortcut attempts at smart arsed replies, that causes this ****....

Maybe some people need to take some time to think about their posts before posting ****e thats going to blowback and cause epic **** stirring.

Also, the point made about the Band Of Hawks has been addressed here by two both senior members of the team who are also squad leaders, so I don't need to chip in as the third, but needless to say I'm

A)Disgusted that you would attempt to circulate those feebile remarks
    B)Astonished that if you felt so strongly, why not address the Team Co's in relation to the matter, as we have a process for dealing with matters similar to such.

When someone thinks your a twat, its an opinion.
    When a group of people think your a twat, theres usually foundation to it
    When a group of people think your a twat, and you feel theres a conspiracy behind your back by them...

You can fill in this blank

I think I'm a ______

Steve wrote: »

I disagree - nobody has actually shown where a ban was handed out unfairly.
    I agree with you on this. Are there any cases where anyone was banned for using foul language in that particular forum?

A number of my infractions where when I jokingly made colorful references towards politicians or the like

One related to me getting passionate about a possible ban of airsoft where I may have stated I'd be marching to the dail to insert a certain rifle into a certain hole in a certain government official.

As a matter of fact I believe foul language is delt with harshly as I've had a number of PM's asking me to tone down my language, even with the censor, younger member could read them and put 2+2 together.

A PM may I add that came from a boards mod, who has infracted me loads, yet took the time to politely explain the situation and as to why I should cease my explicit language.

Educated to the situation, I have tried towning down my passionate posts.

Whenever a boards mod sends me a pm either explaining in detailed infractions or requests etc etc, I usually take great time to read them and to adhere to what I'm asked to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Steve: If i need to spell out exactly what rules lemming broke then you are either ignorant to the 3 previous pages or have a case of "lalalala fingers in my ears" syndrome.,

Good post doc.

Ive lost count of how many times I have asked the mod in question to give comment on his actions and i have not been answered. how many times does it take James?

You can post relevant information to the thread or you can go all over the place with wild accusations and being economical with the truth. You have used the word "dishonest" in relation to me more times than i can count yet you refuse to clarify this with factual reasoning.

Instead he wrote us a grand aul story worthy of a movie deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

TheDoc wrote: »
    No offence to the guy banned, but he was so new to the forum no one would give two ****s he was gone,
    Right... nearly 300 posts, most of which in adverts isnt new...

The banned user was making sufficient bids in my book..... He was offering close enough, nothing on adverts goes for face value, so he was making a genuine effort, and incrementing bit by bit.

Sufficient bids?

this isnt a tv gameshow where the most bids wins... and I, as the OP, have no obligation to sell the item to the person that goes 'ooh me me' the most.
    The poster is obviously not 100% up on airsoft with the relation to his post about receiving the item from America for 100 dollars, and from his posting demeanor you can clearly see he is of young to teens age.

Not up on airsoft, dispite knowing the global prices of aegs, and where to GET guns around the world. Clearly doesnt know anything about airsoft.
    "Bids" are put on adverts, simple as. I'll never offer the asking price because A) I know I'll get a deal B) its not worth it C) im chancing my arm. The nature of second hand goods.
    This isnt about how you use adverts,
    I as the seller have the ability to hold out, to get the asking price if I so desire. I am under no obligation to take a 'good offer' as you deem it, to give anyone a 'deal'.
    Then insisting the posts are crap and harrasment? Get a ****ing grip? If you cant see that is clearly a kid who is new to boards, excited about buying stuff or something along those lines?
    New to boards? not in the slightest, and certainly not new to adverts.
    It doesnt matter if they are a kid or not.
    The OP also could have avoided this instead of trying to be elegant and smart, a simple " Sorry but I'm going to hold out for the full price"
    I did tell him politely i would prefer the full price.

3 posts in as many minutes later, I told him to stop posting crap, that I didnt accept his offer first time, 3 more offers wouldnt change that... it became annoying to the point of harassment within the context of the forum. I asked him to stop. Thats fair.

TheDoc wrote: »

When someone thinks your a twat, its an opinion.
    When a group of people think your a twat, theres usually foundation to it
    When a group of people think your a twat, and you feel theres a conspiracy behind your back by them...

If you say so, It must be true.

In relation to his "knowledge on airsoft".

Google search maybe?

My first google result showed this

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/jing-gong-g36k-airsoft-aeg-jg-g608-2.html

God knows how much more effort the poster put in, but you can see how someone can be easily confused.

In relation to sufficent bids?

Yeah I would say he made sufficent bids, that rifle is €170 brand new, so I'd offer something along the lines of €130-€140 and leave it there. Then the poster want to go more, thats his business, its all about what we feel is the highest price to go.

Adverts may not be a gameshow, but its not a shop..and usually where most **** is sold at robbing prices , or stupidly low prices.

Your missing my point on my A B C. I was making the point as to why someone would be offering lower then the asking price...I'm sorry I may have not explained it properly, I find having to explain the second hand market...well...below my intellect...

I also notice you edited your post from

" Careful what you say, your bordering on personal abuse"

to

"If you say so, It must be true."

Granted option two is much preferred, as I do to some people who get on my tits, let it past you and pay no head, the end of.

However option one is exactly the kind of brash whiplash reaction and posting, that extends these arguments and debates further....and has gone well to adding to certain reputations : /

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 rickrolla

Firekitten youre a troll. and a bad troll at that, whether you like it or not.

why dont you tell all the guys here why you were banned off Arnies Airsoft?

or should i call you steele rayne?

how may infractions do you have here for youre flame-tarded posts where you jump down other peoples throats cos they are not as leettastic as you?

just for the record i do believe it is more than the required 10 for banning, i wish i had a c-mod boyfriend to pull some strings for me.;)

Just to answer your question steve, Yes, I have seen a user banned for the use of "muppet", a common one for lemming yet mild compared to his usual showing,.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

rickrolla wrote: »
    Firekitten youre a troll. and a bad troll at that, whether you like it or not.

why dont you tell all the guys here why you were banned off Arnies Airsoft?

or should i call you steele rayne?

how may infractions do you have here for youre flame-tarded posts where you jump down other peoples throats cos they are not as leettastic as you?

just for the record i do believe it is more than the required 10 for banning, i wish i had a c-mod boyfriend to pull some strings for me.;)
    That's not welcome here, thanks.

• Advertisement

Lemming wrote: »
    Don't bullsh*t? Coming from you? Coming from this? Would you like to mention the 34 people in one thread thing? Ok, lets go there shall we? That was a wind up on a whole load of people that were doing a wind up on one of the old For-Sale category forums several years ago.. Most of those banned were unbanned the next day, and most found it rather funny.

Click

and the feedback thread

You're desperate for arguments if this is the best that you can do Masada.

Well, I Missed this the first time but after looking further into this i can tell you this isnt infact the thread i was refering to as this was before my time on boards.
    The particular thread was one on airsoft adverts and you gloated openly about some insane amount of bans you handed out within one thread. i have reviewed this particular thread and alas,you give the swear filter another round of exercise.
    Sorry to shatter that bit of comeback you nearly clawed back but you convieniently linked to the wrong thread.

Anyway, My point is made and i'll let other readers make their opinions known.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Masada wrote: »
    Well, I Missed this the first time but after looking further into this i can tell you this isnt infact the thread i was refering to as this was before my time on boards.
    The particular thread was one on airsoft adverts and you gloated openly about some insane amount of bans you handed out within one thread. i have reviewed this particular thread and alas,you give the swear filter another round of exercise.
    Sorry to shatter that bit of comeback you nearly clawed back but you convieniently linked to the wrong thread.

Anyway, My point is made and i'll let other readers make their opinions known.

Not an airsoft poster or even a lurker so looking at this from an outside view, i will note though i havent read evey page because most of it is back and fort squabbling repeating over the main issue ect.

I do believe you have a point, there does seem to be personal bias in the mods post and in this thread. Would the mods have acted in such a way if it was another user? I dont know, as i dont read the forum but the constant replies from the mods other half saying that this has nothing to do with her looks like ass covering.

The mod brought his OH into it in the original post when he said that she was his girlfriend.

"Oh, by the way Pardu ... a word to the wise; insulting a moderator's girlfriend when you're already in the firing line for an awful f*cking beating is not the most sensible of things one could do. If it's any consolation, you did make me laugh though. At you.
    "

Anyway as i said above i dont read the airsoft forum at all to really understand what has gone on, It would be good if an admin or cat mod came back with clarification and lock this as it doesnt look the best for someone looking from the outside in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

This may of been brought up already but to be honest i couldnt try reading through this muddle again.
    What kind of state would this site be in if all the mods behaved like lemming does when he gets a user breaching boards.ie rules. Saying its a tough thankless job isnt a valid excuse in my opinion, theres plenty of other busy forums on this site with users getting banned/infracted/warned where the moderators dont come across ignorant and up their own arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

Just from reading the thread and coming in from a completely neutral viewpoint Lemmings was 100% wrong to do that. I mean I always thought threatening another user with physical violence was a massive no no. Can anyone hoenstly say that if Lemmings wasn't a mod that he wouldn't be banned for saying a poster was in line for getting a serious beating? Thats not even going into Lemmings unproffesional way of responding to the issue and of course the posting of private mails.

In my neutral opinion Lemmings should be demodded for his actions as its clear he isnt mature enough to be in his current position.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Just from reading the thread and coming in from a completely neutral viewpoint Lemmings was 100% wrong to do that. I mean I always thought threatening another user with physical violence was a massive no no. Can anyone hoenstly say that if Lemmings wasn't a mod that he wouldn't be banned for saying a poster was in line for getting a serious beating?

I think you took his statement a little too literally. I did not in any way interpret it to mean anything 'physical and real-world' but a simple moderator-smackdown.

However, I am surprised that Poccington's comment seems to have been ignored, by and large, and it's the most obvious, if not the only, moderator transgression I can identify.
    Poccington wrote: »
    Personally, I think the punishment is a bit OTT but this is the part that sticks out to me...
    Oh, by the way Pardu ... a word to the wise; insulting a moderator's girlfriend when you're already in the firing line for an awful f*cking beating is not the most sensible of things one could do.

Just by posting the above, the Mod shows that he didn't dish out the punishment as he would to any other user. At least, that's how it seems anyway. So what if it's your missus? Why even bring it up on the thread?

Even though I have no issue with the punishments for the infraction, I do think that it was a lapse by the moderator. When wearing the mod hat, everyone else is a user, not a partner, not a wife, not even a crush. Even if your decision was not affected by your relationship with the user (And open information or not, I as a mere occasional visitor to Airsoft was not aware of it), you should not be making such statements.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

I think you took his statement a little too literally. I did not in any way interpret it to mean anything 'physical and real-world' but a simple moderator-smackdown.

From what little I've read in the airsoft forum it would seem to me that the vast majority of those who post in it are familiar with each other indeed most on at the very least first name terms. If he did indeed mean a mod-smackdown then fine but in a forum where a large chunk of its posters regularly come into contact with each other it was worded very badly and was certainly said in an aggressive tone which could easily be interpeted to mean real world (thats what I took it as anyway!)

However, I am surprised that Poccington's comment seems to have been ignored, by and large, and it's the most obvious, if not the only, moderator transgression I can identify.

Even though I have no issue with the punishments for the infraction, I do think that it was a lapse by the moderator. When wearing the mod hat, everyone else is a user, not a partner, not a wife, not even a crush. Even if your decision was not affected by your relationship with the user (And open information or not, I as a mere occasional visitor to Airsoft was not aware of it), you should not be making such statements.

NTM

Agree, from Lemmings reply it would seem he was essentially putting a poster he has a relantionship with on a higher pedestil to everyone else which imo is wrong. None of this would of come about if Lemmings simply acted professional and banned the poster instead Lemmings decided to get personal. Honestly Lemmings should apologise, admit he was wrong and maybe then things can move forward??

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This thread has no reached the bottom of the barrel with abusive tags aimed at someone who, despite what some people may think of him, has Airsoft at heart.

Many people here need to apologise and no one is in the right imho. Theres more then enough blame to go around.

I'll be talking to a few people on both sides of this silliness behind the scenes because this animosity (and lets face it, this event is only the tip of the real story) does no one any good.

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement