Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Co-op Moycullen, new venue/pub

Options
  • 17-09-2009 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

Ola,

Just back from having a look at the new venue/pub/restaurant in Moycullen
    Linky for info: http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/16549

I gotta say, the place looks fantastic, attention to detail amazing and a nice set up for gigs and djs too. (And no, I don't work for the place!!) Didn't eat there tho as I think it only opened this evening so cant vouch for the grub. But well worth the check out.

Pity it's out in Moycullen tho, you'd need a designated driver of a night out..or a taxi..anyone know how much a taxi from Moycullen to Galway is?? I'd love if we had somewhere like this in the city :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

oooh it's stuff like this that makes me so excited to buy a car (hopefully by the end of the month!)

And I totally won't even mind being designated driver if people want to go check it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Xiney wrote: »
    oooh it's stuff like this that makes me so excited to buy a car (hopefully by the end of the month!)

Go on, Xiney! Just bought a motor myself and drove out there this eve, supervised of course!! But back on topic, I recommend boardsies check it out ..check out the food and tell me what it's like before I venture out again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Hackney from Claddagh Cabs to Moycullen is 20 quid. Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

City -> County

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Anima wrote: »
    Hackney from Claddagh Cabs to Moycullen is 20 quid. Ouch.

Suddenly it becomes an expensive night out. What are the food prices like Miss Penny thingy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lolarob

i think they're putting on free buses to and from moycullen

Don't know about food prices, I didn't see a menu out. Great if there were buses!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭LowOdour

I think if you look at somewhere like campbells tavern in headford, it has managed to attract good acts like damo dempsey even though its not in the city.
    If the co-op were to do stuff on the same lines, im sure people would go there and i for one would be delighted. Even if you travel to a gig at the roisin dubh, you still may have to pay for parking. The Furan, beside the Co-op, has loads of free parking. Going to pop in there on Friday for a look-see, would love to know what their music plans for the place are

AFAIK after speaking the peoples running it, the target audience are twenties/thirties and music wise some rock/alternative. There is trad being played some nights I think. Never been to Campbells Tavern but am always surprised at some of the acts they get, fair play to them. more incentive for me to learn to drive!

Waiting your verdict LowOdour!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MemoryLane

Love that place! I haven't eaten in there myself but have had a few drinks and defo agree that its a shame this place is not in the city. The upside for me is that I live in Moycullen so I do get to enjoy it and don't have to pay for a taxi to get there.

But I do have to get taxis to town and back as I don't have a car.
    There's a local taxi driver who charges 15 Euros each way which is very reasonable. His name's Martin and his number is 087 .

Hope to get to eat there this weekend so will update on the food then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Speaking of Moycullen, the Forge food prices are an absolute scandal. Granted they do a special for less tha a tenner but their menu prices are shocking and obviously were designed for a period of time that doesn't exist anymore. Like scampy for €22 is an outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭LowOdour

dec25532 wrote: »
    Speaking of Moycullen, the Forge food prices are an absolute scandal. Granted they do a special for less tha a tenner but their menu prices are shocking and obviously were designed for a period of time that doesn't exist anymore. Like scampy for €22 is an outrage.

You are right on the button there. Stopped eating there ages ago. Food is nice but standard enough fare. But the prices are ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 samename

Had dinner in the Co-op a few weeks ago on a Saturday night. The food was excellent, and very reasonable (most of the main course were under 15 euro). After dinner stayed for the band. The place filled up around 11 and was hoppin' by the time the DJ came on, lots of people dancing. They have a late bar, would be a great place for birthday party. Got a taxi home to town with Claddagh Cabs for 15 euro. Will be back for sure, great to find something different since I'm sick of the same old in town every weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 samename

They have pics on their facebook page
    www.facebook.com/TheCoopBar

Thanks for that samename. A friend DJ's out there a few Saturdays I think and I know they have some Sunday Jazz. Must head out myself again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭lovelyhome

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

lovelyhome wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Yep, had dinner for 4 there bout 3weeks back.
    I got chowder for some reason, wasn't very nice, there was a strong herb or something in it.
    Two of us went for pizza main, I can't remember the other's orders. It was nice, thin and crispy.
    One of us had apple pie for desert, it was served in a very small bowl type thing. It was basically molten apple sauce, that was the only complaint any of us had.

Definitely worth a look, I really like the design of the place, heating bill must be painful though. Moycullen isn't as far as people thing, it's like 11mins from the junction at quincentennial bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

I've heard very mixed reports about the food in the Co-op. The pizzas are all around 12 - 15 euro which ain't really cheap these days.
    I noticed they advertised a tapas menu for Christmas parties but this does not seem to be on the regular menu.
    One group of friends who ate there recently, two of them had to send back their main course as it was cold :(
    Might be worth a trip out from town if they started doing special offers or early birds but probably not other than that IMO.
    The Crossroads food can be hit and miss also I've found, and while the Forge is expensive at least the standard is fairly consistent. Would be great if some one of them started doing a tapas menu though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 facemail

I was out there a few weeks ago for a friend's birthday, had a great night. Their burgers are UNREAL, massive round of steak mince on a home-baked bun with loads of nice toppings and a choice of a few different cheeses, probably the best burger Ive had in Ireland, you can tell everything is made from scratch. My gf had the pizza, really nice, thin crispy crust, about 12" with fresh mozzarella. The burger was 12.50 and the pizza was 11 euro. There were some nice seafood options, they had cod, seabass, salmon and monkfish on the menu too.
    The interior is really cool, old Connemara stone missionary juxtaposed with trendy modern finishes like a stainless steal bar counter and big leather couches.
    Great place for a party, we had an area booked off, a band called The Rye played, late bar and DJ too.
    What is the story with those sculptures over the bar?

Heading out there myself for a family do later, will feed back :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

well Ladypennyworth, what's your verdict? :)

It's hard for me to say without sounding nitpicky, but overall I thought it was a lovely night and the staff were really and truly lovely.
    My qualms, which may sound silly, are ones suggested by the rest of the party, and are more observations that could take the service to a higher standard. We went for the 25 euro a head option, which was a set menu.
    1. Food was lovely. Not roasting tho I have to say, and I'm someone who always likes a hot plate or at least warm as it tends to keep the food hotter longer. Food was tasty, most of us had steak, but the chicken was apparently just okay, and could have been hotter. The kitchen is ages away tho so I imagine that contributes.

2. We arrived half hour early as had gotten out booking mixed up, but were happy to sit and have a drink as obviously it was our mistake, but menus still hadn't been printed up until after half seven.

3. Desserts were lovely, cheese cake and tiramisu were on the menu and both went down a treat! We had brought a cake and the lads were extremely helpful in bringing it up on a plate for the birthday person, but then wrapped it and we forgot to bring it. We remembered when we got home. Now while it sounds picky, it would have been nice to get a quick call to say 'ye left you cake, we can hold onto it for you until tomorrow' or something but we got nothing. Even if we didn't bother going back (we were too far when we remembered but I do think it is a valid point).

I don't fault the service as such but just feel and this came from other too that an experienced restaurant manager might actually benefit the team in terms of timing and a slicker service. But again the lads were so lovely and these are fine tuning points!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Gallimh92

Ya food in the Co-Op is good, pizza are nice, and the place does fill up on weekends. fantastic spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

I had a pasta dish in there once and it was fantastic and I eat a lot of Italian food.

However as a pub, I am not impressed. Was there one Saturday night and it was dead.

Hello zombie thread

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

Gallimh92 wrote: »
    Ya food in the Co-Op is good, pizza are nice, and the place does fill up on weekends. fantastic spot.

Necro-post

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement