Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling Galway City Gaelic Football Fans

Options
  • 18-09-2009 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

There are 4 Gaelic Football Clubs in Galway City:
    Salthill/Knocknacarra - Senior Club
    St. Michael's - Senior Club
    Fr. Griffin's/Éire Óg - Junior Club
    St. James' - Intermediate Club

St. James' GAA represent the following 4 parishes; Mervue, Renmore, Ballybane & Good Shepherd (Roscam, Doughiska & Ardaún). This year St. James' had 3 players on the Galway Minor Team and 2 on the Galway Senior Team.

On Sunday 27th September @ 4pm St. James' will play Naomh Anna - Leitir Mor in the County Intermediate Championship Final in Pearse Stadium. The winner of this game gets promoted to Senior Football.

If your a GAA Fan in Galway City you might come out and support us on the day.

Regards,
    SgtHighway - A St. James' Fan

P.S. - If you are not involved in a GAA Club (in any code) but want to get involved feel free to PM me and I can put you in contact with your local club.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

I'll be there to show my support... Hope they do it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

as a non galway man from a non hurling county i've a question, is the city a hurling or football town? 4 football clubs sounds like not that many

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    as a non galway man from a non hurling county i've a question, is the city a hurling or football town? 4 football clubs sounds like not that many

Not that long ago there were 6 Football; Éire Óg and Fr. Griffin's amalgamated. Mervue and Renmore amalgamated to make St. James'

Membership wise I would say there are probably more members of Hurling Clubs in the City than Football Clubs but there wouldn't be much. Liam Mellows is a massive club. Even though they are based at Ballyloughane they would consider themselves a club that covers the whole of the city. They use the term Heart of Galway a lot. The City boundries have swallowed up part of Castlegar including their pitch. These 2 clubs have 3 County Senior Hurlers between them. Rahoon/Newcastle are making great strides at intermediate and I think they will make the break through to the Senior Ranks soon. Salthill Hurling Club and St. Columbas would have a few members.

There would be no strong school hurling teams but St. Mary's have had great success in football.

At the end of the day I'd say Galway City would not be considered a purley Hurling or Football Town. It would be strong in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Played a season for St. Columbas after moving here before injury ended my long (and fruitless) career. Can't make Sunday but wish ye the best of luck, think there might be one or two of my old hurling teammates playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭AdamantApproach

St Mary's remain by far and away the most successful hurling school in Connacht with 35 or so Senior A titles. Perhaps there is more football ans soccer there now but traditionally Mary's was a hurling school.

Additionally, Mary's have had no real success in football. Never won a Hogan Cup and Jarlath's have been thumping them for years in Connacht. They lost a final a few years back alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 hernandinho

I will be there... supporting Naomh Anna Leitir Móir! Yeeeoooh!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gufcfan

Hernan, níl seans agaibh!

fán go bhfeicfidh tu...

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

if salthill were playing,these city clubs would b hoping they'd be beaten,ill rise above that and get behind ye,doing great work and reaping the rewards there unlike salthill who are in free fall it seems no parish pride.best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

There will be more following St. James' than Salthill could ever knock up. They are on a serious decline at the moment as their performance against Corofin indicated. The city needs another senior side, otherwise the emphasis is going to revert back to North Galway again. Pity Kernan though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I know sfa about football, but from what I do know... i.e. a fair number of Intermediate players getting into the Galway panel doesn't say much for the quality of player in the senior ranks. Obviously I'm open to correction. I'm only repeating what I've heard in dribs and drabs.

For example, that Breathnach lad... Plays intermediate. Very hard to expect him to be up to inter-county standard. He plays against Intermediate players every other week...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

JIZZLORD wrote: »

Those 4 clubs are big clubs. That said, Galway is a city with lots of soccer clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Tribesman29

Civis, not quite on the mark re Breathnach as he has been playing senior with NUIG over the last few years.
    I think its pretty harsh to dismiss a very good player, whoever he may be, just because he plays Intermediate football.

However, it is quite obvious when watching the club games who the county players are, and that there aren't a lot of players bursting through to get onto the panel bar the 25 or so who are regularly on the panel.
    The likes of Paul Conroy, Matthew Clancy and Cormac Bane are also generally accepted to be up to the standard having been given their chance while playing intermediate.

Civis, not quite on the mark re Breathnach as he has been playing senior with NUIG over the last few years.
    I think its pretty harsh to dismiss a very good player, whoever he may be, just because he plays Intermediate football.

However, it is quite obvious when watching the club games who the county players are, and that there aren't a lot of players bursting through to get onto the panel bar the 25 or so who are regularly on the panel.
    The likes of Paul Conroy, Matthew Clancy and Cormac Bane are also generally accepted to be up to the standard having been given their chance while playing intermediate.[/QUOTE

Christ I understand your point but I think that the poster even realises that the likes of Joe Joe Greaney has no future with Galway. Again, god help Kernan.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭thebackbar

Coming from a club just outside the city, I have to wish both clubs the best of luck in the final, though it would appear that James will be hot favourites.

Its disappointing to see the ill-informed comments about Salthill on this thread. I guess Salthill is a club people love to hate. In regards to Salthill being in free fall or in serious decline that simply isn't true. This year their senior team reached the last four in the Senior Championship, whilst all their under age teams are holding their own. They have just as good a spirit in their club as any other club in Galway.

re salthill,underage they will always do well and some senior players are doing good stuff helping re-organise the parish leagues etc,the problem is drafting in two county hurlers and giving them run outs in the semi final even tho they barely trained with them and their hurling clubs still involved in hurling championship,dis heartening for lads looking on from the bench who trained all year,not good for team/club spirit.not criticising the two players in question,just felt sorry for the lads who didnt play.galway needs more senior city clubs in both codes

• Registered Users Posts: 43 AnchormanSL

Firstly SgtHighway,Would it be fair to say Menlo Emmets could be classed as a city hurling club too?

Secondly regarding the Intermediate player debate,I see no reason that there should not be Intermediate players on the Senior County team.A lot of Intermediate (and sometimes Junior) have star players capable of playing for their county and the players around them should not curtail this players ability.I'm not sure of his name but the Cork Senior team had a fella playing Junior football at the start of the year.

Finally,regarding Salthill/Knocknacarra,the drink is a killer(usually for minor's and u21's,who are now legal)and living so close to a city where at least 6 nights out of 7 are hailed as being great nights for students.

Firstly SgtHighway,Would it be fair to say Menlo Emmets could be classed as a city hurling club too?

Sorry forgot about them; and the Junior All-Ireland only won a couple of years ago. Don't know how I forgot them. Alot of them in Oz now?

I think they're getting serious now again.I know at least one that left Castlegar to return to his home parish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Who won the St James Lettermore game lads? Abroad and results aren't up on galwaygaa.ie or galwaynews.ie.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

its on next sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

You could probably consider Barna a city club at this stage. They've been more or less swallowed up on the western side of the city.

thebackbar wrote: »
    Coming from a club just outside the city, I have to wish both clubs the best of luck in the final, though it would appear that James will be hot favourites.

Its disappointing to see the ill-informed comments about Salthill on this thread. I guess Salthill is a club people love to hate. In regards to Salthill being in free fall or in serious decline that simply isn't true. This year their senior team reached the last four in the Senior Championship, whilst all their under age teams are holding their own. They have just as good a spirit in their club as any other club in Galway.

So where are their supporters when their team is playing? They bring no more than 30 or 40 supporters to any match.

I remember some years ago there was a possibility of Salthill and NUIG meeting in a Galway county final until a certain referee scuppered college's hopes with some terrible decisions to prevent them getting through. If they had made it, you could have held the game in a telephone kiosk.

dec25532 wrote: »
    So where are their supporters when their team is playing? They bring no more than 30 or 40 supporters to any match.

I remember some years ago there was a possibility of Salthill and NUIG meeting in a Galway county final until a certain referee scuppered college's hopes with some terrible decisions to prevent them getting through. If they had made it, you could have held the game in a telephone kiosk.
    padraig joyce played and refereed taht semi final.disgrace what happend

• Registered Users Posts: 34 looney-toone

Best of luck to both teams tomorrow..........................................BUT!!

Naomh Anna!! The pride of the parish!!

They will do it!! :)

No better men =]:D

Alot of Naomh Anna supporters hanging around Galway City Boards. All I say is come on Naomh Seamus. Do it for the City!!!!!!!!!!!!
    UP THE JIMMIES!

Enough clubs from the city and north Galway in senior without James' as well. :D

Just had a gawk at Galway GAA site. Amazing that Spiddal aren't even Intermediate? Would have thought that they would be...

Enough clubs from the city and north Galway in senior without James' as well. :D

Ah to be fair now,I could really careless what side of the county the Senior teams are from as long as they're good enough competition to bring silverware to Galway.I'm from the city myself,and I wouldn't care whether it was Carna or Corrofin representing Galway in the All-Ireland series.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

NAOMH ANNA LEITIR MOIR 0-9 ST JAMES'S 0-7

WWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

And congrats to Spiddal who won the junior final

• Advertisement

Well done to Naomh Anna and commiserations to St. James'.

They'll join or replace Naomh Anna in Senior next time I'm sure. :D

Advertisement