Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can't believe it's not Londis?

Options
  • 18-09-2009 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭

A few days ago I was on a bus that drove past a newsagents type shop that was called Londis Landis, it was painted green like Landis Londis but it said Landis on it, it looked for much like a Londis.

I'm not exactly sure where it was, I think around the Talbot Street area.
    Anyone familar with it?

Is it a Londis that has lost its way?
    Or an imposter, along the lines of Duff Beer/Düff Beer?

There are a chain of Landis Supermarkets, but they only have locations in 3 states in the U.S.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

There's one opposite Bus Aras as well... I thought it was a typo the first time I saw it, but it is actually called Landis. Clueless to what the story is with the weird name, but thought I'd concur anyway.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Might be the one I mean.
    Good to know it wasn't some sort of crazy dream. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Just withdrew from the franchise agreement I assume and wanted to retain something approximating the name

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

jdivision wrote: »
    Just withdrew from the franchise agreement I assume and wanted to retain something approximating the name

Yeah, easier to change the 'O' to an 'A' instead of the whole signage. :)

Coming to America sprang to mind when I read the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Londis will probably take legal action against this, happened to a shop just at Sallys Bridge there a while ago iirc, shop was called Moce or something and looked the same but wasn't Mace and well it got shut down after Mace went tot court or something like that.

• Advertisement

Multiple thanks for anyone who gets a picture :pac: :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Hahahahahahahaha, has no one noticed the name of the bakery?
    "The Dutch Oven"
    Oh how I laughed.

Some one was taking the piss when they started planning this, they have to of been.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

A number of years ago, Bewleys in Dundalk closed down and was replaced by a cafe who simply rearranged the letters on the sign to 'Weblys'.. I would have laughed, but I was in Dundalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Ah Landis is not half as good as Centro though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

A Disgrace wrote: »
    A number of years ago, Bewleys in Dundalk closed down and was replaced by a cafe who simply rearranged the letters on the sign to 'Weblys'.. I would have laughed, but I was in Dundalk.

Do you mean Welbys? I thought that was family owned & run?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

If they are a family concern, that is still some coincidence!!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

jdivision wrote: »

"La Pizza", near the Savoy cinema, was IIRC a "Pizzaland" franchise, then sometime back in the late 80s/early 90s it presumably withdrew from the franchise, and they rearranged the letters of the "PizzaLand" sign into "La Pizza". Hey presto!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I was walking by the place earlier and remembered this thread so I took a pic. :pac:

landis.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

That dude walking in the door only has seven days to live.

*phone rings* "aaaaargh"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Jumpy wrote: »
    That dude walking in the door only has seven days to live.

*phone rings* "aaaaargh"
    lmao, I was wondering where I'd seen that face before.

Dord wrote: »
    I was walking by the place earlier and remembered this thread so I took a pic. :pac:

landis.jpg

:D
    Great work Dord!

Ah Landis - 'Not particularly close to you'

Advertisement