Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keeping red hair red

• 18-09-2009 12:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭

I had bright red highlights put in my hair a couple of weeks ago at the hairdressers but they're fading fast, sort of yucky brown with a red tinge at this stage. I loved them when they were bright and still really red, and for the price they cost it's quite annoying to have them fade so fast.

I know this is par for the course for red dye, that it always fades faster, but I'm just wondering does anyone have any tips to keep them bright next time round? I tried Trevor Sorbie's shampoo for red hair, but just ended up with perma-dyed red hands and fading hair:(

Any words of wisdom?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Impossible!!!

I've dyed my hair red a few times and have bits of red and a red fringe and nothing you do will keep it red! I tried loads of shampoos for coloured hair, I tried to cut down on how often I washed it but reds just fade so quickly. Your best bet is probably to slap some more dye on yourself, that's what I did. My hairdresser told me I'd just have to keep topping it up to keep it looking vibrant.

Eventually, I gave up 'cause dying your hair every two weeks isn't the best thing to be doing and my hair had lost all of it's shine! :(

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Heh; I posted a similar thread a couple of weeks ago.

Best thing I can recommend is the John Frieda radiant red range, the shampoo, conditioner and glosser. The Trevor Sorbie one isn't as good I found.

On to that once or twice a week, take one part deep conditioner and one part dye, I usually use a vegetable based one like 'Crazy Colour' in 'Fire' or Special effects in Cherry bomb. Mix them(the dye and the conditioner) together, apply to your hair after washing and leave for 3 mins, rinse out and it keeps it vibrant.

But thats about all you can do unfortunately, the red molecule is very large and not well absorbed by hair, hence it fades so quickly.

Right pain in the arse really :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭JTC83

Thanks for the replies and the advice. I really love my hair red, but the idea of constant maintenance is really off putting :(
    Will give your suggestions a try madame razz, would be so delighted if they worked!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

The last time i got my hair coloured, my hairdresser tried a few packets of a new "red bleach" from Joico and then applied a vibrant red semi on the rest of it. 6 weeks later, the semi has gone a bit wishy washy golden (as expected) but the joico bits are still really bright. I'm delighted and am going to get larger chunks of it put in this weekend.

It might be worth enquiring about if you love your red highlights!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭JTC83

That's brilliant news silvervixen! :DThanks a million. Now to find somewhere in Galway that stocks it...

• Advertisement
Advertisement