Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UKIP's involvement in the Lisbon referendum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Um... the first line was so epicly fail:
    UKIP will send a leaflet to every Irish home urging a No vote in the Lisbon Treaty to close an “open door” to immigrants.
    So rejecting the change will somehow change how the immigrants are already coming in. Could someone explain that one to me, as it makes no sense...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

"UKIP will send a leaflet to every Irish home"

Everyone make sure you have your "No Junk Mail" signs up :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

I notice the United Kingdom Independence Party's home page has a giant map in the top right which appears to include us as part of the united kingdom.

Maybe nobody told them we're an independent state and that's why they're sending us these leaflets.

Or else no one in their organisation understands that this is hypocrisy of the highest order. UKIP could be the first to run a pan European campaign on a member state's domestic constitutional amendment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Lol, I love it.
    who added that UKIP was not in any way racist and had five black or Asian candidates in the recent European elections.

Reminds me of AH threads starting with "First of all I'm not a racist/homophobe/necrophiliac, I have many black/asian/gay/dead friends" then followed by a tirade opposing said demographic.

Everyone should be concerned with the involvement of the UKIP. As K-9 has pointed out in other threads though, their "mailshot" might well backfire on them merely because it contains so much scare-mongering, shock value seeking statements and pictures that it may well actually just put people off. Hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

gabhain7 wrote: »
    I notice the United Kingdom Independence Party's home page has a giant map in the top right which appears to include us as part of the united kingdom.

Maybe nobody told them we're an independent state and that's why they're sending us these leaflets.

they only care about their "independence" (tho perhaps they need to be told that they are an independent state in a very loose union) hence their name

yes funny how they included all of ireland and no sign of the french mainland for that matter

for example the BBC are very careful when showing a map of UK on their weather forecasts etc ;)

oh and everytime theres a thread on UKIP im gonna post this link

and image of UKIP using the Irish flag as a beermat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

thats sad, the reason the BBC dosent show the weather in the republic is because of the agreement between both countries broadcasting rights,also next time i walk into my pub in wicklow i will tell the owner to please remove the irishcarpet from the front of the door incase i step on it,if you want i will give you links to the flag car carpet and novelity web sites,so you can complain to them, the UKIP are just showing them selves up,and are not realy worth having a thread about them,

getz wrote: »
    thats sad, the reason the BBC dosent show the weather in the republic is because of the agreement between both countries broadcasting rights,also next time i walk into my pub in wicklow i will tell the owner to please remove the irishcarpet from the front of the door incase i step on it,if you want i will give you links to the flag car carpet and novelity web sites,so you can complain to them, the UKIP are just showing them selves up,and are not realy worth having a thread about them,

can we use Union Jack floormats so here in the republic?

im sure they'll sell fast and that go down well with our neighbours

or stick their flag under our Guinness pints in a pub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ixtlan

UKIP will send a leaflet to every Irish home urging a No vote in the Lisbon Treaty to close an “open door” to immigrants.

Eh??!!

Now I know this is what is happening. However I had thought their intention was to use the facade of their European group to send the leaflet?! Actually I have seen the leaflet from the other thread, not mentioning UKIP.... It's just funny that the veneer is so thin that even their own web-site says they are sending the leaflet.

It makes me want to start distributing leaflets with quotes from their policies...

Ix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I still was'nt fully sure of which way to vote but after UKIP got involved it swung me towards the Yes side. I hated these guys before Lisbon and their sudden "love" for the Irish is put on. They don't care about us and only want to manipulate us to their own means.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ixtlan

I still was'nt fully sure of which way to vote but after UKIP got involved it swung me towards the Yes side. I hated these guys before Lisbon and their sudden "love" for the Irish is put on. They don't care about us and only want to manipulate us to their own means.

Of course the problem is that some people will not realise that UKIP is behind that leaflet. I figure it may be worth a few percent swing against the treaty. It's sad, but I suspect true.

Ix

• Advertisement

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    can we use Union Jack floormats so here in the republic?

im sure they'll sell fast and that go down well with our neighbours

or stick their flag under our Guinness pints in a pub
    sure you can, only people from third world and new countries care about their flags, the only problem you may have in putting a union flag for a beer mat in the republic will be from other irish men, there are plenty of irish flags on buildings and cars in the UK without any problems, but i would not fly a union flag in the republic and not expect it to be damaged ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

The elephant in the room is going to be a much bigger concern for voters this year than it was last year and so it's bound to have a much bigger influence in this no referendum's no vote than it was in last year's one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

sure you can, only people from third world and new countries care about their flags.....,

Where does America fit into your theory here?

As for the rest it's total nonsense to say a group of Irish could go into a pub in the UK somewhere, whip out the old Union Jack and use it as a beermat/ashtray without problems arising.

in england nobody would care ,on the next table you would find the jamaican flag or most likely the scottish or welsh flag, on the beaches in blackpool[near my home] you will see people drying themselves with flags from all over the world,if you ever go to a man u football game you will see thousands of irish flags and irish men wearing strange flag type outfits walking down matt busby way,people over here dont care ,in fact we love it,but i dont think the irish would except that kind of thing in the republic, do you ?.as for the yanks they are a race still comming to terms with their culture, the UKIPs agenda is for you to look at their statements,and if you only find one thing on them that you agree with it will have served their purpose,by the way i have a union flag pair of underpants the wife got me at christmass

in england nobody would care ,on the next table you would find the jamaican flag or most likely the scottish or welsh flag, on the beaches in blackpool[near my home] you will see people drying themselves with flags from all over the world,if you ever go to a man u football game you will see thousands of irish flags and irish men wearing strange flag type outfits walking down matt busby way,people over here dont care ,in fact we love it,but i dont think the irish would except that kind of thing in the republic, do you ?.as for the yanks they are a race still comming to terms with their culture, the UKIPs agenda is for you to look at their statements,and if you only find one thing on them that you agree with it will have served their purpose,by the way i have a union flag pair of underpants the wife got me at christmass

how do you feel about their policies of

* withdrawing from EU

* introducing death penalty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

the_syco wrote: »
    Um... the first line was so epicly fail:

So rejecting the change will somehow change how the immigrants are already coming in. Could someone explain that one to me, as it makes no sense...:pac:

i firmly believe that logic is a valuable and finite natural resource that should not be wasted on things like that. basically what they mean is

'if we dont go over there and tell the scruffy little roust-a-bouts what to vote the bloody foreigners will go over there and tell them what to do...oh wait'

in england nobody would care ,on the next table you would find the jamaican flag or most likely the scottish or welsh flag, on the beaches in blackpool[near my home] you will see people drying themselves with flags from all over the world.......

:pac: So in England you only like to abuse the flags of others. I see. I doubt many English pubs use the George's Cross to soak up spilt beer. Why anyone would use a flag to dry themselves I don't know, a towel print is not a flag.

,if you ever go to a man u football game you will see thousands of irish flags and irish men wearing strange flag type outfits walking down matt busby way,people over here dont care ,in fact we love it,but i dont think the irish would except that kind of thing in the republic, do you ?.......

:eek: People bringing flags to a football match, never. Bit of a difference though isn't there. Personally I was at the last Ireland v England rugby match and there were plenty of English flags about. No problems. If people want to embrace their nation's flag more power to them. If people want to use another nation's flag in a disrespectful way, that's not on. If that was a table of Irish people using the flag as a beer mat and ashtray you can bet your life comment would be passed by other Irish people.
    as for the yanks they are a race still comming to terms with their culture,....

Right...
    the UKIPs agenda is for you to look at their statements,and if you only find one thing on them that you agree with it will have served their purpose,by the way i have a union flag pair of underpants the wife got me at christmass

er no, the UKIP's agenda is to gain popular support and get into office, along with the respectability and power that entails.

how do you feel about their policies of

* withdrawing from EU

* introducing death penalty
    dont like the death penalty, as far as withdrawing fro the EU, this is what i think and everyone else i talk to in england i believe thinks the same ,is that they were happy with the EU untill they moved from a common market to the more political one, and started to bring in EU laws and over riding national laws,so when it comes to [and it will when the tory party wins the next election] a vote of stay in and except the policital agenda,or get out, i will be voting out, and i have yet to meet anyone over here who dosent think the same.this is why i am wishing ireland will say no,in hope the EU backtracks on its political ideals,that way maybe my vote will change to a stay in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 coyler1

If you return to sender, the UKIP will have to pay for the returned post.... sweet justice.

Encourage everyone you know to do the same, make them pay twice!!!!!!!!!!

prinz wrote: »
    :pac: So in England you only like to abuse the flags of others. I see. I doubt many English pubs use the George's Cross to soak up spilt beer. Why anyone would use a flag to dry themselves I don't know, a towel print is not a flag.

:eek: People bringing flags to a football match, never. Bit of a difference though isn't there. Personally I was at the last Ireland v England rugby match and there were plenty of English flags about. No problems. If people want to embrace their nation's flag more power to them. If people want to use another nation's flag in a disrespectful way, that's not on. If that was a table of Irish people using the flag as a beer mat and ashtray you can bet your life comment would be passed by other Irish people.

Right...

er no, the UKIP's agenda is to gain popular support and get into office, along with the respectability and power that entails.
    havent you realised yet that the UKIP has close links to the BNP ?its full of scum jumping on the anti/EU feelings in the UK,i cannot think of any ordinary citizen in england who would abuse the irish or any other flag,over one third of us have a irish ancestor,the UKIP idiots who used the flag as a ashtray do not represent the man in the street,as do republican terrorists represent the people of the republic

• Advertisement

havent you realised yet that the UKIP has close links to the BNP ?its full of scum jumping on the anti/EU feelings in the UK,i cannot think of any ordinary citizen in england who would abuse the irish or any other flag,over one third of us have a irish ancestor,the UKIP idiots who used the flag as a ashtray do not represent the man in the street,as do republican terrorists represent the people of the republic

I realised that a long time ago yes, and I have no intention whatsoever of taking their behaviour as representative of the 'man in the street' in the UK.

But good to see that you now recognise that it was a disrespectful abuse of the flag, with the full intention of doing so, and I reserve the right to acknowledge that without being laballed as a "third worlder".

prinz wrote: »
    I realised that a long time ago yes, and I have no intention whatsoever of taking their behaviour as representative of the 'man in the street' in the UK.

But good to see that you now recognise that it was a disrespectful abuse of the flag, with the full intention of doing so, and I reserve the right to acknowledge that without being laballed as a "third worlder".
    if i came across that way with my words i am sorry,i was just trying to say[and this is from a english man who is hardened to the fact of seeing the union flag burned daily in the streets of countries who felt the criticism from the UK] flags are not worth getting worked up about,a international incident because UKIP party members were photographed with their pints of guiness and ashtrays on top of a irish flag, and the daft thing about this they thought they were showing their support to the irish,not criticism

dont like the death penalty, as far as withdrawing fro the EU, this is what i think and everyone else i talk to in england i believe thinks the same ,is that they were happy with the EU untill they moved from a common market to the more political one, and started to bring in EU laws and over riding national laws,so when it comes to [and it will when the tory party wins the next election] a vote of stay in and except the policital agenda,or get out, i will be voting out, and i have yet to meet anyone over here who dosent think the same.this is why i am wishing ireland will say no,in hope the EU backtracks on its political ideals,that way maybe my vote will change to a stay in

so their plan is to withdrawn from EU instead of working with it on their issues (which are fud)

thankfully most Irish people are not so stuck up their own arses and realize that this country wouldn't last long on global stage without EU

so their plan is to withdrawn from EU instead of working with it on their issues (which are fud)

thankfully most Irish people are not so stuck up their own arses and realize that this country wouldn't last long on global stage without EU
    UKIP unlike most of the independent parties in the EU they wish to leave, and may get their wish, but not the way they want it,there is already a [back up plan]by the tory party to deal with the north american free trade agreement [NAFTA] to join if they would wish to,the law was changed in the senate[by request of britain] in 1999 to allow britain in.would ireland still be better off in the EU without britain ?only the irish could decide that,the one negative aspect for the irish is the extra costs of shipping exports to europe without some sort of deal with the UK,the UK would have to restrengthen their links again with the commonwealth, and the US will have the UK at their beck and call.still i would prefer the old common market,maybe this is why i hope ireland says no,

UKIP unlike most of the independent parties in the EU they wish to leave, and may get their wish, but not the way they want it,there is already a [back up plan]by the tory party to deal with the north american free trade agreement [NAFTA] to join if they would wish to,the law was changed in the senate[by request of britain] in 1999 to allow britain in.would ireland still be better off in the EU without britain ?only the irish could decide that,the one negative aspect for the irish is the extra costs of shipping exports to europe without some sort of deal with the UK,the UK would have to restrengthen their links again with the commonwealth, and the US will have the UK at their beck and call.still i would prefer the old common market,maybe this is why i hope ireland says no,

you do realize that even without UK the EU is still the worlds largest market

if UK want to withdraw they would kill their own markets and businesses

and Irelands exports to UK are 18.8%

export partners fractions |
    United Kingdom (18.8%) |
    United States (17.8%) |
    Belgium (14.5%) |
    Germany (7.4%) |
    France (5.8%)

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=exports+ireland

every thing is not as black and white as all that,for every web you bring up on exports another will tell you a different thing,www.ireland-information.com will tell you its 33%. the UKs trading links with the EU are stronger,but the UK is still much more closely connected to the US. the UK is indias second largest trading partner ,after the US, the top one is china,which is also the EU biggest trading partner,the trade now for the devoleped EU countries in farming ect is shrinking as more of the new countries enter the food market, the only way forward in the future is access to overseas markets.i am far from being a expert and i am sure many on this thread can shoot me down,

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

every thing is not as black and white as all that,for every web you bring up on exports another will tell you a different thing,www.ireland-information.com will tell you its 33%. the UKs trading links with the EU are stronger,but the UK is still much more closely connected to the US. the UK is indias second largest trading partner ,after the US, the top one is china,which is also the EU biggest trading partner,the trade now for the devoleped EU countries in farming ect is shrinking as more of the new countries enter the food market, the only way forward in the future is access to overseas markets.i am far from being a expert and i am sure many on this thread can shoot me down,

CSO figures 2008:

Area|Imports €m|%|Exports €m|%
    UK|19174|33.39|15860.6|18.37
    Non-UK EU|17341.4|30.19|37955.2|43.96
    USA|6740.5|11.74|16655.7|19.29
    Rest of World|14176.7|24.68|15874.6|18.38
    Total|57432.6||86346.1|

From here.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

thats interesting so in a way you can say the UK is the biggest single trading partner for ireland at inport/export at 36% the rest of the EU comes only 43% total shows how figures can be misleading,

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

the trade now for the devoleped EU countries in farming ect is shrinking as more of the new countries enter the food market, the only way forward in the future is access to overseas markets.
    Access to non-EU markets would lead to a drop in food prices, untl the "local" farmers went out of business, and they could then hike the prices up again. Think at what China could send us cheaply, and imagine how'd it effect the price local farmers got in the market.
    thats interesting so in a way you can say the UK is the biggest single trading partner for ireland at inport/export at 36% the rest of the EU comes only 43% total shows how figures can be misleading,
    The CSO site says we export more to the USA, than to England, and over double that to the EU...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Er, yes, they can - for example, the way you've just compared the (slightly inflated) UK imports figure to the EU exports figure is pretty misleading...never mind that imports cost, while exports earn.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement