Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UKIP's involvement in the Lisbon referendum

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

the_syco wrote: »
    Access to non-EU markets would lead to a drop in food prices, untl the "local" farmers went out of business, and they could then hike the prices up again. Think at what China could send us cheaply, and imagine how'd it effect the price local farmers got in the market.

The CSO site says we export more to the USA, than to England, and over double that to the EU...
    sorry but you forget their is a 20% tariff for goods comming into the EU. that is why millions of people from the third world are starving many of the farmers had to change over their food crop fields to grow coffie/tobacco ect that cannot be grown in the EU,so as soon as there is a drought millions die, i have a irish conscience it comes from my ancestry

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Er, yes, they can - for example, the way you've just compared the (slightly inflated) UK imports figure to the EU exports figure is pretty misleading...never mind that imports cost, while exports earn.

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    you are right again i added up the whole total of inports and exports ,it dident make sense ,so i made up my own numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

getz wrote: »
    sorry but you forget their is a 20% tariff for goods comming into the EU. that is why millions of people from the third world are starving many of the farmers had to change over their food crop fields to grow coffie/tobacco ect that cannot be grown in the EU,so as soon as there is a drought millions die, i have a irish conscience it comes from my ancestry

Are you saying that tariffs on imports wouldn't exist were it not for the EU? Ireland would probably have higher tariffs than 20% to 'protect Irish agriculture' if it weren't in the EU.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Are you saying that tariffs on imports wouldn't exist were it not for the EU? Ireland would probably have higher tariffs than 20% to 'protect Irish agriculture' if it weren't in the EU.

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    it would be interesting just what was the tarriff [if any]on imported goods to to ireland before the common market came into being.i do now that there was no tarriff trading between commonwealth countries [ireland being a honoury member of the club]pre EU days

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

it would be interesting just what was the tarriff [if any]on imported goods to to ireland before the common market came into being.i do now that there was no tarriff trading between commonwealth countries [ireland being a honoury member of the club]pre EU days

Can't find figures yet, but this is from a Dáil debate in 1965:
    Mr. Garret FitzGerald: I cannot but think that these Orders will be welcomed by the House. The need for them arises, as the Minister has said, from the process of reducing tariffs which we have launched but which has been temporarily halted by the imposition of the British Import Surcharge and the consequent decision of the Government to postpone further tariff increases for the moment. Undoubtedly some protection of this kind is required. I do not think it is generally appreciated that our whole tariff structure is quite unlike that of other countries. We have import restrictions and high tariffs far beyond the levels needed to protect Irish industry from normal competition. The high level of tariffs provide adequate protection against dumping of imports from low-cost countries while by administrative action the Government have ensured that this high level of tariffs has not pushed up prices in this country.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

No figures but they were quite high during the protectionist era of De Valera as I recall, it was only after Lemass came to power that we became more a more open economy (even though he was the finance minister of DeValera and implement much of the protectionist schemes). We also had a trade war with Britain at some point and slapped huge tarrifs on each other, possibly in the mid 30s.

And that is everything I remember about the economic aspects of Leaving Cert Irish History. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Are UKIP in favour of a united Ireland as there would be much less chance of Lisbon been passed if the whole of Ireland were voting.
    I could not see the Unionists or Sinn Féin supporters voting for Lisbon so UKIP should be promoting a united Ireland and it would be highly unlikely that the referendum would be passed.

Can't find figures yet, but this is from a Dáil debate in 1965:

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    its difficult to understand, did it mean that ireland had to lower their tariff because the UK put on import duty as a reaction ?i do know the UK used to have a quota system to so all commonwealth countries had access, when the UK entered the commonmarket they got at that time a special agreement to be able to import certain goods without the tariff on to help out smaller countries like jamaica [bananas] untill they could find another market

Advertisement