Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If Ireland DID get to the World Cup, how would it play out?

• 18-09-2009 1:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭

I've heard people say that they'd rather not see Ireland qualify, beacause they'd play terrible football, bore everyone to death and presumably be a bit of an embarrasment. However, the fact remains that we are still tangibly close to getting there and, if it does happen, how do you all see the finals going for our team?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

briany wrote: »
    I've heard people say that they'd rather not see Ireland qualify, beacause they'd play terrible football, bore everyone to death and presumably be a bit of an embarrasment.

Those people are idiots.

I'd say it would be very hit or miss, like playing poor against poor teams and play good against decent teams.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Well id say we would start out in a group of four teams. There will be a good team in there, a decent team and a bad team. We should get 2nd. We will get another team in the 2nd round, probably a good team. I'd say we will take them to extra time and go through on penalties after some heroics from Given. I'd like this team to be England. Then the quareter finals, the country will be really drunk and hopes will be high only to get destroyed with 5 minutes left when we concede two after a woeful passback from Whelan and a slip from Kilbane gifting the second after Stephen Ireland gave us the lead with a cracking 30 yard strike, alot of people will be shocked he is there. This team will probably be England.

Will be good fun though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

3 draws probably, regardless of who we get. That's usually the Irish way of doing things anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The game is about being effective, being aggressive, winning the ball, getting it on with the play, we'll put 'em under pressure.

We're all part of Il Trap's army, we're all off to Africa, and we'll really shake them up, when we win the World Cup, cause Ireland are the greatest football team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

The game is about being effective, being aggressive, winning the ball, getting it on with the play, we'll put 'em under pressure.

We're all part of Il Trap's army, we're all off to Africa, and we'll really shake them up, when we win the World Cup, cause Ireland are the greatest football team.

Good point. What would a world cup song sound like for us this time round? Maybe some kind of silly Rene and Renato style duet with a gang of "fans" joining in at the chorus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Once we get there who cares!! We're never gonna win it anyway.

But in reality we will prob be 2nd or 3rd seeds. So expect us to get 2 0-0 or 1-1 draws vs those sides and beat Random African/Asian 4th seed side 2-0 to get through.

In 2nd round we again are boring but get a 1-1 draw v Paraguay after going 1-0 up within 10 mins and then sitting back as usual!!! Concede just before ht, and hang on for penos...which we lose with Glenn Whelan ballooning one over the bar to knock us out :(

Cue a massive homecoming party in Dublin!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Out in the group stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

8-10 wrote: »
    Out in the group stage.
    This.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

We would do so so. Knocked out in group stage or second round. TBH if we get there with the group of players we have it will be amazing. Worst group of Irish players in a quarter of a century or more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I forsee two draws and a win which should be enough to see us through while we all enjoy multiple sessions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Knocked out in the group stages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Every prick of a sunshine supporter crawls out of the woodwork to get in the way in the pub while we labour to a 0-0 draw with the likes of Tunisia, folowed by a repeat performance against some team of similar mediocrity to ourselves like Belgium. Typically Irish performnace in the last group game as we play completely above our station and snatch an unlikely last minute draw against Brazil when a Rory Delap long throw deflects over the line off John O' Sheas ample bottom.

Cue mass nationwide hysteria as we are propelled into the second round despite yet again not winning a group game. Dunphy grows more and more frustrated and grumpy as the tournament progreses and causes a you tube sensation by decking Bill O Herlihy live on air and branding a Liam Brady a "tramp" and "charlatan." Our second round clash against Portugal ends in controversy as a Ronaldo dive in the last second sends us home to be greeted as heroes despite being pure muck in our four matches. Effigies of C Ronaldo are burned on O' Connell St and Joe Duffy is inundated with calls from irate listerners who demand that Ireland immediately set up a trade embargo with the nation of Portugal and ban their fishermen from trawling in our waters. Eventually a tearful Ronaldo appears on the Late Late show to apologise to the people of Ireland, but ruins the sincerity of the moment by winking conspiratorially at Ryan Tubridy as the show goes off air.

We dance in the streets and celebrate as if we ourselves have won the World Cup when England are denied the trophy in the final against Spain, beaten 6-0 when they have Gerrad, Rooney, Joe Cole and Frank Lampard sent off for diving. John Terry's tears as he lies desolate in the centre circle become the backdrop for every evocative music video played by the BBC for the next decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

1 loss - 2 draws - and Eamon Dunphy saying that with a little invention that Sunderland's (!!) Reid provides the trophy would be coming home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Stevecw wrote: »
    Once we get there who cares!! We're never gonna win it anyway.

Cue a massive homecoming party in Dublin!!! :)

I hope you meet Roy Keane in a dark alley. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

This
    8-10 wrote: »
    Out in the group stage.

...and...
    flahavaj wrote: »
    Every prick of a sunshine supporter crawls out of the woodwork to get in the way in the pub

Also, those same fúckwits talking to you at lunchtime in work "Ah, didja see the match, I think <insert what Dunphy said> / <call Dunphy a clown, shure aren't we there isn't that enough, shouldn't be slagging the boys in green>".

Every muppet becomes an "expert".

Also, the TV director hangs himself because he couldn't find one colleen who wasn't wearing a duffel coat or wasn't a ginger minger with a million large brown freckles.

Also, an Irish man is arrested in Johannesburg for stuffing a Vuvuzela down some South African's throat and killing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

4036-giant-bunting-Ireland-.jpg

Lots of them, everywhere.

John Delaney in a Photo with Nelson Mandela, with Delaney telling us how he singlehandedly negotiated Mandela's release from Robben Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Gettg into the 2nd round would be a massive achievment. A lot is dependent on the draw as well as the seeding can often be way off balance.

If we get South Africa as the first seed team in our group then that will help a lot for starters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Des wrote: »
    This

...and...

Also, those same fúckwits talking to you at lunchtime in work "Ah, didja see the match, I think <insert what Dunphy said> / <call Dunphy a clown, shure aren't we there isn't that enough, shouldn't be slagging the boys in green>".

Also, the TV director hangs himself because he couldn't find one colleen who wasn't wearing a duffel coat or wasn't a ginger minger with a million large brown freckles.

Also, an Irish man is arrested in Johannesburg for stuffing a Vuvuzela down some South African's throat and killing him.

Wrong end. :)

• Advertisement

This

...and...

Oh god no, I was hoping those horrible air horns were gonna get banned. I mean, they are musical instruments, but only just. I haven't heard them
    be used to create any kind of discernible rhythm or melody so to me theyre really just a sort of primitive noisesmaker.

Oh god no, I was hoping those horrible air horns were gonna get banned. I mean, they are musical instruments, but only just. I haven't heard them
    be used to create any kind of discernible rhythm or melody so to me theyre really just a sort of primitive noisesmaker.

vuvuzela.jpg

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

They sound like a skanger on a moped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Trap will dump the long ball tactic once Steven Reid is back so I'm not worried about us embarrassing ourselves, as long as he can finally stay fit of course.

Jesus I'd love another world cup for Ireland. Nothing can come close to a WC summer for me.
    flahavaj wrote: »
    Every prick of a sunshine supporter crawls out of the woodwork
    As I've said a few times, when there's billions of people watching your country play it brings the patriotism out 100 fold. If nobody around the world was watching the emotion would be close to zero.

These

vuvuzela21.jpg

Or we could nick the Ivory Coast ones :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

We'd win the feckin' thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

These

vuvuzela21.jpg

Or we could nick the Ivory Coast ones :D

that is the ivory coast one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Would be fantastic if we got to it alright. Would be a fantastic atmosphere in the country like there was back in '02. That said would like to see what the country would be like if we got to a european championships but that hasnt happened in my soccer loving memory!:mad:

I dont think we'd do too bad, possible getting to the second round, hopefully getting a better draw than Spain. Like another poster said, getting in South Africa's group would give us a fantastic chance of progressing as group winners

I might be getting a bit ahead of myself though!:(
    Samurai wrote: »

Depends on what way you're looking at it!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

We'll lose.

But we'll drink ourselves out of the recession, again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

Samurai wrote: »

Not anymore!

w7oewg.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

The island would sink under the weight of the media using noting but clichés for 6 weeks sold (2 weeks of build up and 4 weeks of the tournament)

ole
    Traps Army
    Boys in green
    Put em under pressure
    Give it a lash trap
    Samba boys (when we beat Brazil)
    Beautiful game
    etc etc etc

2 weeks of build up

I would suspect more than that...

Bleeding cynics, the lorra yis. Call yourselves patriots?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

stovelid wrote: »
    Bleeding cynics, the lorra yis. Call yourselves patriots?

Even better...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

We won't win it for sure (nor win a game with this lot) but there'll be parties and celebrations galore...the ole ole who put the ball in the England net only come out every 4 years brigade will be in force....I'm not a party pooper but all that sh*** gets on my wick :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Pedro K

It's not gonna be easy for us, but it's not gonna be easy for them either.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Terribly, out in the group stages or second round, I would be delighted if we got past the second round.

But no matter how bad we do those 3/4 weeks will be very hazy due to the amount of blowing up inflatable hammers and drinking that will be done, and the team will be treated like heroes, I can't wait.:D

Ole Ole Ole Ole Ole Oleeeeeee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

A repeat of Euro 2004 please!! (worst team ever to win a major soccer tournament)

Whatever Greece can do, we can....er....probably only dream about!

sugarman wrote: »
    Im gonna say last 16 after 2 boring draws and a decent win against one of the poorer teams. Go into the last 16 with an epic preformance to go out in the last few minutes or ET/peno's.

Sounds pretty like '02 tbh:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

same as usual, we get knocked out in the 2nd round/qtr finals, we dont win a single game, have a penalty shot out or two

ole ole ole is on repeat play, the FAI gets slagged from every angle, every man and his dog are expert pundets, the squad return heros to dublin, the manager becomes a national hero, the FAI still get slagged

its a typical irish WC summer, isn't it great

<we're all part of el traps army....>

its not like we're going to win the thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

This thread is bloody depressing. I would ****ing love it if we got to the world cup. Dont care about bandwagon supporters coming out of the wood work, dont care about dunphy moaning, dont care if we draw 3 games and still get out of our group and dont care if we play dull boring football. As long as we show passion to win im happy.

We would be in the world cup. The greatest sporting event in the world imo, which only comes round every 4 years.

Would love it and I hope we make it there. Some people on here are to cynical and up themselves from what I can see.

• Advertisement

I agree about a World Cup summer being a great thing, especially when Ireland are in it. It gives the country a great lift and we all have something to get behind. Of course we aren't there yet by any means, but ah, heres hoping. I think we could really do with one.

joe123 wrote: »
    This thread is bloody depressing.

I know.

It's a total Boer at this stage.

/sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Well, there's an apartheid of opinion anyway.

Already getting my coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

I've heard people say that they'd rather not see Ireland qualify, beacause they'd play terrible football, bore everyone to death and presumably be a bit of an embarrasment. However, the fact remains that we are still tangibly close to getting there and, if it does happen, how do you all see the finals going for our team?

Carlsberg bring out a new advert with Kevin Kilbane scoring a last minute screamer from 35 yards on the volley (from a Delap throw in) as Ireland beat Brazil to reach the World Cup Final.
    Its Ireland V England and Paul McShane beats 6 players (A La Messi) and chips the keeper to put us 1-0 up early on.
    Ireland hang on for dear life but then 'danger here' a last minute penalty. Rooney steps up but Paddy Kenny guesses the right way.
    Cut to final scene Michel Platini presents the World Cup trophy to Stephen Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

joe123 wrote: »
    This thread is bloody depressing. I would ****ing love it if we got to the world cup. Dont care about bandwagon supporters coming out of the wood work, dont care about dunphy moaning, dont care if we draw 3 games and still get out of our group and dont care if we play dull boring football. As long as we show passion to win im happy.

We would be in the world cup. The greatest sporting event in the world imo, which only comes round every 4 years.

Would love it and I hope we make it there. Some people on here are to cynical and up themselves from what I can see.

+1.
    Somehow ireland bandwagon jumpers becoming experts is wrong. Sure the soccer forum here is full of liverpool/man-u bandwagon jumpers that think they're experts.
    I'd love if we got to the world cup, we still have a lot to do. But the whole country has a great atmosphere when we're in a world cup. Bring it on! At least South Africa is in a decent timezone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

At least being a L'Pool/United bandwagon jumper is a year-round vocation, being an Ireland bandwagon jumper only requires you to care maybe one or two summers per decade.

Quint wrote: »
    +1.
    Somehow ireland bandwagon jumpers becoming experts is wrong. Sure the soccer forum here is full of liverpool/man-u bandwagon jumpers that think they're experts.
    I'd love if we got to the world cup, we still have a lot to do. But the whole country has a great atmosphere when we're in a world cup. Bring it on! At least South Africa is in a decent timezone

Last two World Cups Ireland have qualified for have been in bad timezones for watching on TV, particularly Japan and Korea. Maybe Ireland can only qualify for World Cups that can only be watched through one half open blood shot eye, like a poisoned chalice kind of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sd08

Last two World Cups Ireland have qualified for have been in bad timezones for watching on TV, particularly Japan and Korea. Maybe Ireland can only qualify for World Cups that can only be watched through one half open blood shot eye, like a poisoned chalice kind of thing?
    Brazil 2014 here we come.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

eirebhoy wrote: »

Jesus I'd love another world cup for Ireland. Nothing can come close to a WC summer for me.

This

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Get drawn with France, Spain and Greece in the group stage. Beat Spain, lose to France, and Keane scores a last-minute screamrer against Greece to get us through to the knock-outs as runners-up.

Face a weak Germany in the next round, and win comfortably.

Quarter finals see us against the Italian U-21 team (whom FIFA have bizarrely allowed to participate). We go 2-0 up after 25 minutes, the Italians pull one back in the second half, but we manage to hold out.

Against England in the semi-final. Doyle scores after 4 minutes, even though Capello insists it never crossed the line. We survive and reach the final against...

Italy. They score three goals in the first half, and we look dead and buried. But 6 minutes of brilliance in the second half means we get it to 3-3 after 90 minutes, and in extra time Given saves a point-blank shot from Del Piero to force penalties.

Italy miss their first two, while we score ours. Italy's fifth penalty-taker is Del Piero, who takes a weak shot down the middle, with Given able to stretch out his hand and save it, and we win the World Cup.

This may or may not be an original story

• Advertisement
Advertisement