Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I need some pointers.

• 18-09-2009 1:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭

hi,

not sure if this is the right place for this, but i really can't think of anywhere else.

it's actually hard for me to type this as i'm not normally a person who will let their thoughts and feelings show but i need help.

i'm having a really rough time coming to terms with a death of a friend 16 years through horrific circumstances (some of you probably know).

My friend's mother is very spiritual and into numerology and christ i got her to do my birthchart and pretty much every thing that came up was me, in a nutshell.

i was a ruling 4, meaning that i'm creative, intellectual and always thinking always doing. which is totally true. my brain constantly works and it needs a rest especially now. this is where i thought some form of meditation would benefit me.

tbh i was kinda skeptical of the whole idea of meditation but after seeing this numerology thing working and being so accurate i would like to try it.

the problem is i don't know where to start with it, what kind of meditation would suit me, i only know of vipassana as taught by S.N. Goenka (only know of it because my favourite song writer is a student of it) but that doesn't seem to suit as it's retreats over several days, where i feel like i'm more suited to something that i can give 1 or 2 hours a day or whatever.

thanks in advance for your input.

ps. mods sorry if this is in the wrong place, could you please move it if it's inappropriate for this forum.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Mediations is both the easiest and hardest things in the world imho.

So you've started to take the first steps on trying out things, well done,
    but I can only offer you support and encouragement as I do believe that you need to figure out what will work for you and what directoin you should take.

You've already asked the question and put it out in the universe now you need to look about and see how that question is answered.

I would suggest seeing what there is locally to you, are there meditions groups near by?
    I would suggest a trip to your local libraray and have a look there at what books they have on the subject and which ever ones intrest you go have a read.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

My advice is going to come from my own way of dealing with things, which is keep it simple. Dont overthink it. Meditation to me, is about letting your mind flow, and you flow with it. Its not about blanking everything out, and only sometimes has a specific purpose. Mostly its about finding a quiet, eternal space within yourself, and spending time there.

I havent studied any particular 'school' of meditation, I only know, from the types of meditation Ive taken, which I like best and which I find easiet to enter into. For you, Id advise going to a few groups, or listening to a cd, see what resonates best or which you find works well. Then bring it home and adapt it to you. But initially its mainly relax, use your breath, dont try to go anywhere or be anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

Very good advice to the post.
    As was said - you have asked the question, now allow any replies to come to you, which they will do, though not likely in a time-frame of your choosing.

Try to meditate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I would suggest seeing what there is locally to you, are there meditions groups near by?
    I would suggest a trip to your local libraray and have a look there at what books they have on the subject and which ever ones intrest you go have a read.

i'm not sure if there's anything locally for me, i'm in a kinda pickle when it comes to that cause over the next months i'm going to be based in ballina, bray, letterkenny and london.

also i'd like to have more of an idea on meditation before i walk into a room full of people, i really dislike rabbit in the headlight situations.

i will check out the library for sure tomorrow, hopefully they will have some good books to get me started.
    Oryx wrote: »
    My advice is going to come from my own way of dealing with things, which is keep it simple. Dont overthink it. Meditation to me, is about letting your mind flow, and you flow with it. Its not about blanking everything out, and only sometimes has a specific purpose. Mostly its about finding a quiet, eternal space within yourself, and spending time there.

I havent studied any particular 'school' of meditation, I only know, from the types of meditation Ive taken, which I like best and which I find easiet to enter into. For you, Id advise going to a few groups, or listening to a cd, see what resonates best or which you find works well. Then bring it home and adapt it to you. But initially its mainly relax, use your breath, dont try to go anywhere or be anything.

thanks you're last paragraph has made things clearer for me.

i watched this video which has also made it a bit clearer for me

what you guys think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭starchild

similar to what oryx posted i find that focusing on my breath helps me to enter a meditative state

Like you I am constantly thinking and my biggest challenge day to day is concentrating on the present moment and stopping my mind/brain from constantly either rehashing yesterday or focusing on tomorrow. Thankfully im managing this a lot more now.

the best advice i could give would be to make sure that you set aside a small amount of time each day to mediatate, even ten minutes in the morning and ten in the evening would help a lot

there are some great books in any mind body spirit section of any bookshop. If you cannot get to any shop or library i can email you some meditation techniques from some books that i have. I will reference all so that you know its from a reputatable source. So if you need just pm me an email address

good luck with this, i hope it eases things for you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭waitinforatrain

I've had great results on my own with patanjali's yoga ("yoga is the intentional stopping of the spontaneous fluctuations of the mind"). Start by just trying Asana (posture) and Pranayama (breath control). See here: http://www.sacred-texts.com/oto/aba/aba1.htm

For a class, there is probably a Zen dojo near you http://www.iolfree.ie/~irish_zen/beginners.html . I have been to the one in Galway. The teacher (who is a monk I believe) is really nice and helpful, and it's run by donation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Hey Cremo,

Meditation is definitely something you will find beneficial. I also find it hard to switch off sometimes and eventually you just become overwhelmed by even the smallest thing. Rather than over thinking what kind of meditation suits you or going out to the library and actively researching how to meditate, why not begin by simply focusing on ridding your mind of whatever is making you anxious? You don't need to worry about becoming 100% serene and free from all thoughts to begin with. If you've never meditated before of course you will need some time to adjust. Just focus on giving yourself some respite from the disruption you've been feeling by taking a few minutes out of your own head. We can all meditate, it doesn't need to be ritualistic or planned even.

When you get some time to yourself, uninterrupted by people or noise, close the curtains, light a candle for some soft light and stick on some soothing music (keep the volume low) I also love to light some Nag Champa and just lie back and drift away with the music. That's easier said than done for someone who has never tried meditation before though. Lie down with your arms down by your side and let your eyes close softly. One thing I found helpful for learning to fall into a meditation rather than lying there hoping you're doing it properly, is beginning by taking in very deep breaths. Listen to the sound when you inhale, hold it for a second and then listen to the sound of exhaling. Focus only on breathing in and out. This way you're clearing your mind of anything that may be making you anxious. By focusing on something as simple as breathing, you do not allow any other thoughts to seep in. Don't allow yourself to dwell on anything in your head, acknowledge only what you can feel there and then on your body, like your own breath sweeping by your lips and chin when you exhale. Once you've settled into your breathing you will find the breaths becoming less forced and deep and it will gradually feel more natural and relaxing.

If at any stage you find that your thoughts are becoming disruptive and you don't feel so relaxed anymore, bring your attention back to inhaling deeply. Again, rather than allowing your mind to take center stage, focus only on your body at the moment. While you breathe in and out you will gradually feel your body become more settled. Focus on the relaxation (or energy, positivity, etc) flow down your arms and into each finger as you breathe. You can do this for all over your body, from your head all the way down into each toe. You really will feel yourself becoming lighter and less pressed by what's going on in your own mind because you're thinking only about every part of your body becoming settled. It's a very simple way of calming yourself but can be applied very easily by anybody, even if they have never tried to meditate before.

So don't get too caught up in trying to find the perfect method for meditation, just begin by getting your mind settled.

This is only my own advice by the way, it works for me but that's not to say everyone will find it helpful. Just my 2c! :)

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

There are different types of meditation, for instance, as others have said focusing on the breath is one way. I also find guided meditations beneficial - I have a few different cd's at home with different ones on them which I find beneficial, and then I also have cd's with some nice relaxing music for when tuning inside - they are both helpful in different ways. It is about finding what works for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

MizzLolly wrote: »
    Hey Cremo,

Meditation is definitely something you will find beneficial. I also find it hard to switch off sometimes and eventually you just become overwhelmed by even the smallest thing. Rather than over thinking what kind of meditation suits you or going out to the library and actively researching how to meditate, why not begin by simply focusing on ridding your mind of whatever is making you anxious? You don't need to worry about becoming 100% serene and free from all thoughts to begin with. If you've never meditated before of course you will need some time to adjust. Just focus on giving yourself some respite from the disruption you've been feeling by taking a few minutes out of your own head. We can all meditate, it doesn't need to be ritualistic or planned even.

that's exactly what i need to do, start small, not necessarily jumping into the deep end so to speak.
    MizzLolly wrote: »
    When you get some time to yourself, uninterrupted by people or noise, close the curtains, light a candle for some soft light and stick on some soothing music (keep the volume low) I also love to light some Nag Champa and just lie back and drift away with the music. That's easier said than done for someone who has never tried meditation before though. Lie down with your arms down by your side and let your eyes close softly. One thing I found helpful for learning to fall into a meditation rather than lying there hoping you're doing it properly, is beginning by taking in very deep breaths. Listen to the sound when you inhale, hold it for a second and then listen to the sound of exhaling. Focus only on breathing in and out. This way you're clearing your mind of anything that may be making you anxious. By focusing on something as simple as breathing, you do not allow any other thoughts to seep in. Don't allow yourself to dwell on anything in your head, acknowledge only what you can feel there and then on your body, like your own breath sweeping by your lips and chin when you exhale. Once you've settled into your breathing you will find the breaths becoming less forced and deep and it will gradually feel more natural and relaxing.

If at any stage you find that your thoughts are becoming disruptive and you don't feel so relaxed anymore, bring your attention back to inhaling deeply. Again, rather than allowing your mind to take center stage, focus only on your body at the moment. While you breathe in and out you will gradually feel your body become more settled. Focus on the relaxation (or energy, positivity, etc) flow down your arms and into each finger as you breathe. You can do this for all over your body, from your head all the way down into each toe. You really will feel yourself becoming lighter and less pressed by what's going on in your own mind because you're thinking only about every part of your body becoming settled. It's a very simple way of calming yourself but can be applied very easily by anybody, even if they have never tried to meditate before.

So don't get too caught up in trying to find the perfect method for meditation, just begin by getting your mind settled.

This is only my own advice by the way, it works for me but that's not to say everyone will find it helpful. Just my 2c! :)

Good luck

some really sound advice there lolly, thank you. i'm going to find it hard now to make time for myself as i've just started a new job but even 5 or 10minutes will surely benefit me.

you have any recommendations for music? i assume chilled out songs with no lyrics are the key?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭waitinforatrain

that's exactly what i need to do, start small, not necessarily jumping into the deep end so to speak.

some really sound advice there lolly, thank you. i'm going to find it hard now to make time for myself as i've just started a new job but even 5 or 10minutes will surely benefit me.

you have any recommendations for music? i assume chilled out songs with no lyrics are the key?

I highly recommend Terry Riley, especially Descending Moonshine Dervishes.

If you find that your rational mind is always on full blast, you should try integrating some Magick (not your usual definition) ritual into your practice. One of the ideas behind ritual is that it incorporates such a diverse range of symbolism from different cultures and requires your full attention to do it correctly, that your mind doesn't get the chance to wander, and can't possibly interpret all of the symbolism, at least for the first while.

It's much easier to do this consistently, because instead of restricting thought and action, you're doing it with full attention. In my opinion, it's a better place to start because it doesn't feel like a chore.

If you want to give this a try, start with the LBRP. You can get plenty of descriptions of LBRP rituals and videos on youtube.

Your first impression will probably be that it's pretty fckn weird. All I'll say is that memory works on principles of novelty, if it wasn't weird it wouldn't stick in your head during the day. Not that you have to go cutting robes out of bedsheets or anything like some of the youtube vids, that was even crossing a line of weirdness for me :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Glad it's useful. This may sound crazy but have you ever seen the Native American band play in town? They are amaaazing. Well I bought one of their CDs recently and I have to say I love it for meditating too. It's excellent for any kind of meditative action, reiki, massage etc.

There are also plenty of really helpful clips on youtube believe it or not. One of my favourites is; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR3dM-GlZK8. It's less than ten mins long so great for you when you're just getting into it. I find it helpful for aura cleansing and self healing and it's a really lovely one to meditate with.

You're absolutely right about taking a couple of minutes out to meditate. I know when you've got a job and your busy and tired it can seem like a chore but as you said, 5/10mins will do you the world of good!

Enjoy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭leblanc

Vipassana or Raja yoga. Both available in Dublin. Its hard work and requires discipline (which will come with time) but being depressed is pretty hard work too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭TheBardWest

My advice for you is very simple: get yourself in the company of Good People. Whatever spiritual background speaks to you - surround yourself with people who will nurture you, allow you to grow and to express what needs to be expressed. If you're a man, spend time in the company of other good men, if a woman, spend time in the company of good women - both will provide you a level of nourishment and at-ease-ness that will be helpful.

As you work through your grief and begin to open up, allow yourself to explore a variety of spiritual paths and practices until you find one that truly resonates.

In my opinion, meditation is a very useful tool and technique for people who have a more masculine essence (can be male or female, but people who identify more with 'emptiness, freedom, and consciousness'). For people who have a more feminine essence, I recommend movement, dance, yoga - anything that involves energy, feeling, and allowing emotion to move through the body (feminine essence people tend to be more identified with light, fullness, and the energy of love flowing through everything).

Best wishes to you on your journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Corkgirl210

I have been to the best psychic colleges.. best teachers etc.. and they all say the same..

meditation is best formed by sitting with yourself.. no music, no movement, just sit in your own power and expand your consciousness.. and just BE!

They say any answer to any question to any problem will be answered by your higher self .. simply go within or go without..

When you sit and go within - your Aura will expand over time and your consciousness increased.. (from the basic physical auric layer moving onto the next layers.. emotional, mental, astral etc.)

It is great for quietening the racing mind.. (a likely trait for us sensitives as they have a tendancy to over analayze everything because they always see the bigger picture!)

If you cannot do meditiation on your own.. join an awareness circle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

hey 'creamygoodness'....if youve never meditated before and are looking to make it a part of your life i would definitely recommend going to a class/group. i tried many times to begin meditating on my own but found it difficult because i basically didnt know what i was doing.

when you go to a class there is already an atmosphere there when you walk into the room which makes it easier in the beginning to slow down and center. the more you go the more you realise what it is you are trying to achieve and then it becomes easier to create this space for yourself at home.

any classes or groups ive gone to have been friendly supportive and non-judgemental environments and any rabbit in headlight feelings fade away quickly!

there are lots of different types of meditation and the focus can be quite different depending on what type you go for. for example in some buddhist meditation systems there is a lot of emphasis put on posture which can be a bit daunting when youre not used to sitting in lotus position.

you could try the dublin holistic centre for a gentle introduction....theres a nice drop-in feel to the place and classes there wouldnt be too hardcore!

best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Omentum

Medition or mindfullness or awareness.

Be with your thoughts. Let them ebb and flow. Acknowledge they are there and acceptance is key. Be accepting them you eliminate inner conflict.

Place focus on your breath at first. The inhale and exhale. Conciousness of your breath will take focus into your body.

Good luck and enjoy! It can be amazing and a gateway to peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sdun

hi,

where i feel like i'm more suited to something that i can give 1 or 2 hours a day or whatever.

QUOTE]

Hey, I havn't read the all other posts, but if no one's mentioned it already I'd really reccomend doing a Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Course (MBSR). It's based on the same principles as Vipassana, ie present moment awareness. It's an eight week course, where participants are asked to practice around one hour a day. Look it up online, there's an ever growing number of teachers around the country. It takes perseverence, especially at the beginning, but it's well worth the effort. Good luck with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindfulness-based_stress_reduction

p.s. I know a couple of MBSR teachers round the place, if you're interested, and have trouble finding one near you, let me know and I might be able to put you in contact with someone near you

Advertisement