Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

business name question?

Options
  • 18-09-2009 2:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

hello,

Im looking to register a business name, but somebody else has already registered it. Can i register the same name or do i have to change it?..

And feedback would be great.

Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

what would be the point of registering a business name if more than one person could do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Yes you can, but it may be best to make it slightly different.

If you're in the same business as the other registered name, then they could ask you to refrain from using the name if they can show you are affecting their business.

examples of similar names that can work

Mc Donalds Hamburgers
    Mc Donalds Pharmacy
    Mc Donalds Cycles

Gift Box
    The Gift Box
    Gift Box Gifts
    Gift Box Shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 HealthyWay

According to the CRO registering your business name does not give you any protection against duplication so there are no legal reasons why you cannot register the same name as someone else. If you will be trading in a different geographical area this will have no effect however if you are looking to go online it may cause problems down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

Hi Stephen,
    The rules vary depending on how you are setting up your business- i.e. sole trader/Ltd. Company. The Basis website is a great resource. I suggest you check out this page.

It may be worth checking that the name doesn't have a trademark registered against it by somebody working in the same industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭R3al

hello,

Im looking to register a business name, but somebody else has already registered it. Can i register the same name or do i have to change it?..

Cheers

You can register duplicate business names but a company name must be unique, if you are registering a business name you might want to consider the domain name that you will want when you create your website, if the business name is the same as others that have already been registered then it is likely that your first choice of domain name will already be registered.

As a website will be one of your primary marketing tools you might want to check the availablity of domain names before deciding on your business name.

• Advertisement
Advertisement