Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No Redress For Victims of Magdalen Laundries

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Another book about one particular case is Lost Child of Philomena Lee
    by Martin Sixsmith. Worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 AmberSolace

Not High! Just not used to this type of forum?
    We all have to start somewhere

You keep at it Rob. You're not spamming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

You Irish are always complaining about what the Brits did to you... **** sake lads look what you did to yourselves after that... don't let these cnuts get away with this...!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Rob Northall

New Petition for Justice!
    http://apps.facebook.com/petitions/267/justice-for-irish-survivors-of-child-abuse/

The Redress Unit (that's right, the nice people who ran that very fair and thoughtful process) who will be in charge of the Trust Fund have not told me when it becomes Law; I have asked that it may be extended until the end of the Year? It is still there could someone who wants to vote vote and tell me if it is still functional?

http://www.petitions.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=238&Itemid=9&latestnews=latest

http://shameofireland.co.uk/
    For Survivors Their Families and Friends (Baristers Welcome)

Morlar wrote: »
    Are you high ? ? ? ?

Why not quit spamming the thread ffs.

Just read this and wondered who was spamming for who LOL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

JonJoeDali wrote: »
    I wonder how many women are actually affected.

I notice the OP is very thin on details and very thick on anti-Catholic rhetoric.

He/she/it obviously hasn't been listening to the Pope over the last few days.

If you expect people to take you seriously, you'll need to drop the hysteria and talk in a rational manner.
    Is it cold, under that bridge?
    Can YOU Spare 2 MINUTES of your TIME?
    To HELP! “IRELANDS FORGOTTEN CHILDREN”?

SEXUALLY ABUSED
    BEATEN!
    STARVED!
    TORTURED!
    HUMILIATED!
    DOWSED IN D.D.T.!
    USED AS SLAVE LABOUR!
    USED IN DRUG TRIALS!
    Most are STILL TRAUMATISED TO THIS DAY!
    Vote at >

http://www.petitions.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=238&Itemid=9&latestnews=latest

...It will take less than 2 MINUTES OF YOUR TIME!
    TO STOP THE IRISH GOVERNMENT IGNORING THEM!!
    Many were placed in these INSTITUTIONS by the N.S.P.C.C. who received a BOUNTY From the RELIGIOUS ORDERS!
    The GOVERNMENT did a DEAL that means these ABUSERS can NEVER BE PUNISHED! WE are trying to get JUSTICE!
    When you vote at petitions.ie you will be sent a confirmation email to the email account you supplied; your vote will not count until you click this link. Make sure you check your Junk email Folder?

Revisit the site and check your name is there?
    "Kathys story" is one of the most famous Maggie books!

Childhood interupted is about the Industrial Scools!!
    http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/families/article6882575.ece

The first few words of this article are shocking!!!

Kathleeln O'Malley is a member of the Shame Of Ireland http://shameofireland.co.uk/ for Survivor Family and Friens of Survivors!

We are loking into this!!

Need a good Barister?? Know one??
    Please sign our online petition at http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/leadership-needed-on-magdalene-laundries to urge Taioseach Brian Cowen to call for State acknowledgment of its complicity in remanding women and children to Magdalene Laundries. We also have a direct e-mail form which can be sent to An Taoiseach at http://www.magdalenelaundries.com/an_taoiseach.htm.
    Can YOU Spare 2 MINUTES of your TIME?
    To HELP! “IRELANDS FORGOTTEN CHILDREN”?

http://www.petitions.ie/index.php?opt...

...It will take less than 2 MINUTES OF YOUR TIME!
    TO STOP THE IRISH GOVERNMENT IGNORING THEM!!
    Many were placed in these INSTITUTIONS by the N.S.P.C.C. who received a BOUNTY From the RELIGIOUS ORDERS!
    The GOVERNMENT did a DEAL that means these ABUSERS can NEVER BE PUNISHED! WE are trying to get JUSTICE!
    When you vote at petitions.ie you will be sent a confirmation email to the email account you supplied; your vote will not count until you click this link. Make sure you check your Junk email Folder?

Revisit the site and check your name is there?

SIGN THIS AND WE CAN MAKE IT CHANGE!!

PROMOTE THIS VOTE! IT MANDATES REAL CHANGE!!

rob.northall@ntlworld.com for the answer to how???
    Not High! Just not used to this type of forum?
    We all have to start somewhere
    You keep at it Rob. You're not spamming.
    New Petition for Justice!
    http://apps.facebook.com/petitions/267/justice-for-irish-survivors-of-child-abuse/

The Redress Unit (that's right, the nice people who ran that very fair and thoughtful process) who will be in charge of the Trust Fund have not told me when it becomes Law; I have asked that it may be extended until the end of the Year? It is still there could someone who wants to vote vote and tell me if it is still functional?

For Survivors Their Families and Friends (Baristers Welcome)
    Just read this and wondered who was spamming for who LOL?

Seriously, stop before you get yourself a siteban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Interesting! Does this increase the victums chances of a private cival case i wonder?

It'll will have to be funded privately and will take years with no guarantee of success.

Bonito wrote: »
    Is it cold, under that bridge?

Seriously, stop before you get yourself a siteban.
    Why will I get a site ban? Is it for posting external links relating to the areas of interest to member of the forum; that they might find interesting and may want to support?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Why will I get a site ban? Is it for posting external links relating to the areas of interest to member of the forum; that they might find interesting and may want to support?
    You've posted them 6 or 7 times. It's being repeptitive and annoying and disrupts thread flow. You only need to post it once. Anymore and it's spam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Well is anyone honestly surprised? Instead of complaining there should be some sort of fundraising for the victims, the sooner people realise that this government are only interested in their own pockets the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

Well is anyone honestly surprised? Instead of complaining there should be some sort of fundraising for the victims, the sooner people realise that this government are only interested in their own pockets the better.

Actually, the sooner people realise that the "victims" are only interested in their own pockets, the better.

I have yet to see one example of an abuse survivor in the last five years who has not received a large compensation payout.

Those who have already been compensated (sometimes 20 years ago) see the sums on offer today and are jealous that they didn't get as much. There's a lot of that kind of stuff going on at the moment. The compensation gravy train is coming to an end and people are clambouring over themselves to keep the wheels turning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Actually, the sooner people realise that the "victims" are only interested in their own pockets, the better.

I have yet to see one example of an abuse survivor in the last five years who has not received a large compensation payout.

Those who have already been compensated (sometimes 20 years ago) see the sums on offer today and are jealous that they didn't get as much. There's a lot of that kind of stuff going on at the moment. The compensation gravy train is coming to an end and people are clambouring over themselves to keep the wheels turning.

Are you actually serious?
    You don't think these women should be compensated for the horrors they endured? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

You might have a read of Frances Finnegan's 'do penance or perish' for accounts of lifetime imprisonment, routine humiliation, and forced labour of the sick, pregnant and 'feeble minded'. June Goulding's account of the sale of children into adoptive families whilst their mothers laboured on the convent grounds, and many more recent stories of mass burial grounds for lifetime penitents. Disgusting, ignorant attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

I think they should be compensated for the work they did. Would you work for free? Ignoring the abuse, which you seem more than willing to do so this hypothetical shouldn't prove difficult to accept, would you be willing to work in a place for up to 40 years, live and die there, and never get paid for your efforts?

If you had have informed yourself, you would realise that these women didn't get released from these institutions out of the goodness of anyone's heart. The laundries were closed, in 1996 IIRC, because the minimum wage laws were brought in and it was illegal for them not to pay women for what was essentially slave labour.

I would have argued in that case that the fact the Gardai and prison services used the laundries but never sued for fraud when it was discovered that the women were not being compensated would prove them quite complicit.

These women should all go and sue the church for back wages and you should go and educate yourself or back under your bridge, whichever comes first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I have a member of my family who was in state care during the worst part of it. He hasn't looked for a penny. And when you say the word Artane you see a look in his eyes that is chilling. He doesn't want their money, he doesn't think it would make up for all that happened!

But other people have the right to look for it! Hit the church the only place they care about.......their pockets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Sue the Cathloic Church. If they say they have no money then tell them to sell some of the huge amount of expensive real estate they own. That church at the crossroads in Donnybrook must be worth a few quid.

THis helps in 2 ways:

1. Abuse victime are compensated.

2. The church has less money and therefore less power and influence and is less able to inflict it's will on innocent people. It spent enough time f**king up the country - time to give something back folks.

I'd love to see that happen, but not sure that it's possible.
    Surely it would have been approached by now.

Advertisement