Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non standard 2nd year - no regional work

Options
  • 18-09-2009 5:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭

Are there any exceptions to the regional work requirements for a 2nd WHV?
    I'm not looking for ways to cheat or skip it, I am aware of these. But rather looking for information on exceptions.

Basically, I am half way through my first year. The company I am with have expressed an interest in keeping me on for the foreseeable future. I have a lot of time invested in the current project and it would save a lot of time and money (for them) to keep me on rather than hiring somebody else. This obviously suits me as I won't need to look for another job anytime soon.

I am aware that an exception exists for the 6 months in one position rule in this regard. Is there any sort of similar rule regarding regional work. eg I am critical to the current (government) job and therefore don't have an option of regional work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Get them to sponser you. Its a 457 visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

457 isn't an option.
    The project program will only run up to the end of my first year. If I was on a 457 visa, I'd then have to leave (unless I found a new sponsor)

The only option I can see to stay past 12 months is a 2nd WHV. But due to current work I'm restricted in getting a chance for regional work, are there any exceptions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Are you working in the city?

Yup, sydney

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

They are pretty strict about what regional work is

Definition of specified work

Specified work is any type of work described in the list below:

* plant and animal cultivation
    o cultivating or propagating plants, fungi or their products or parts
    o general maintenance crop work
    o harvesting and/or packing fruit and vegetable crops
    o immediate processing of animal products including shearing, butchery in an abattoir, packing and tanning
    Note: Secondary processing of animal products, such as small goods processing and retail butchery is not eligible
    o immediate processing of plant products
    o maintaining animals for the purpose of selling them or their bodily produce, including natural increase
    o manufacturing dairy produce from raw material
    o pruning and trimming vines and trees.
    * fishing and pearling
    o conducting operations relating directly to taking or catching fish and other aquatic species
    o conducting operations relating directly to taking or culturing pearls or pearl shell.
    * tree farming and felling
    o felling trees in a plantation or forest
    o planting or tending trees in a plantation or forest that are intended to be felled
    o transporting trees or parts of trees that were felled in a plantation or forest to the place where they are first to be milled or processed or from which they are to be transported to the place where they are to be milled or processed.
    * mining
    o coal mining
    o oil and gas extraction
    o metal ore mining
    o non-metallic mineral mining and quarrying
    o exploration and other mining support services
    * construction
    o building construction
    o heavy and civil enginerring construction
    o construction services

Work undertaken in the areas of plant and animal cultivation, fishing and pearling, and tree farming and felling must be described in the list above to meet the specified work requirement.

The Australian New Zealand Standard Industrial Classification (ANZSIC) provides further detail about eligible work in mining and construction. Work undertaken in the mining and construction sectors must appear in the ANZSIC division for these sectors to meet the specified work requirement.
    See:
    ANZSIC - Mining Division
    ANZSIC - Construction Division

Supporting work, such as book-keeping, in any industry described in the list above does not meet the definition of specified work.

Specified work:

* does not need to be paid work
    Example: Work undertaken as a volunteer or through the Willing Workers on Organic Farms (WWOOF) scheme may qualify if the work falls within the specified work definition listed above.
    * does not need to be undertaken as a direct employee
    Example: Work undertaken as a contractor is eligible if it falls within the specified work definition listed above.
    * must be described in the list above

Examples of eligible specified work:

* picking fruits on a farm or orchard
    * feeding and herding cattle which are kept for commercial purposes
    * constructing a house
    * extracting ore on a mine site.

Examples of ineligible specified work:

* working at a cellar door providing wine tastings
    * undertaking an archaeological survey
    * working as a caterer or cook on a mine site
    * working as an architect or town planner
    * working as a cook or cleaner while volunteering through the WWOOF scheme
    * helping to construct ships or boats.

and your work would have to be on the following postcode list

Australian Capital Territory The Australian Capital Territory is not classified as part of regional Australia.

New South Wales
    2311 to 2312
    2328 to 2411
    2420 to 2490
    2536 to 2551
    2575 to 2594
    2618 to 2739
    2787 to 2898
    Note: Excludes Sydney, Newcastle, the Central Coast and Wollongong.

Northern Territory All of Northern Territory is classified as part of regional Australia.

Queensland
    4124 to 4125
    4270 to 4272
    4307 to 4499
    4515 to 4519
    4522 to 4899
    Note: Excludes the Greater Brisbane area and the Gold Coast

South Australia All of South Australia is classified as part of regional Australia.

Tasmania All of Tasmania is classified as part of regional Australia.

Victoria
    3211 to 3334
    3340 to 3424
    3430 to 3649
    3658 to 3749
    3778 to 3781
    3810 to 3909
    3921 to 3925
    3945 to 3974
    3981 to 3996
    Note: Excludes Melbourne metropolitan area.

Western Australia
    6041 to 6044
    6083 to 6084
    6121 to 6126
    6200 to 6799
    Note: Excludes Perth and surrounding areas.

There are no exceptions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

you can work in construction in regional areas too rather than just fruit pick

hussey wrote: »

Yes that's true it was actually listed in my post

o coal mining
    o oil and gas extraction
    o metal ore mining
    o non-metallic mineral mining and quarrying
    o exploration and other mining support services
    * construction
    o building construction
    o heavy and civil enginerring construction
    o construction services

Examples of eligible specified work:

* picking fruits on a farm or orchard
    * feeding and herding cattle which are kept for commercial purposes
    * constructing a house
    * extracting ore on a mine site.

But the actual work has to carried out in the above postcode list.

Note: As a construction trade only .... office based not so..

Examples of ineligible specified work:

* working at a cellar door providing wine tastings
    * undertaking an archaeological survey
    * working as a caterer or cook on a mine site
    * working as a cook or cleaner while volunteering through the WWOOF scheme
    * helping to construct ships or boats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Mellor wrote: »
    Yup, sydney

Mate if they are willing to sponsor you for a 457 , go for that. True when the project ends you are going to be at a loose end but you have the time till the project ends to secure new work not too mention a few months after that.

However are you just looking to stay till the project is over or wanting to stay in Australia for a few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ye try get sponsorship, then at the end of the year, get a 3 month holiday visa and travel around on ur savings!

hussey wrote: »
    Yeah but; this is the real balls kicker;
    mandrake04 wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up anyway
    Zambia232 wrote: »
    Mate if they are willing to sponsor you for a 457 , go for that. True when the project ends you are going to be at a loose end but you have the time till the project ends to secure new work not too mention a few months after that.

However are you just looking to stay till the project is over or wanting to stay in Australia for a few years?

Read my above post, I can stay till march on my WHV.
    The job will be finished by then, getting sponsored will actually cut my time shorter. Trying to transfer to another job is going to be hard enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Read my above post, I can stay till march on my WHV.
    The job will be finished by then, getting sponsored will actually cut my time shorter. Trying to transfer to another job is going to be hard enough.

Sorry my bad I so mis-read that ,in that case your sort of rooted.

The WHV is designed for short term periods of work. However I can see no harm in going into DIAC (I think they have an office in Sydney) and just explain the situation and ask for a short exemption. If the say no ,they say no you have not lost anything.

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Sorry my bad I so mis-read that ,in that case your sort of rooted.

However I can see no harm in going into DIAC (I think they have an office in Sydney)

Its in Lee Street right beside Central Station..... just get the train to central station and go left into Lee street instead of right into Pitt street.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Just in case anyone's wondering how rural is rural, my postcode is on that list in Victoria. I can drive to Melbourne CBD in an hour, or take a train that runs once an hour and takes an hour. Plenty of people commute longer than that to jobs in Dublin!

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Its in Lee Street right beside Central Station..... just get the train to central station and go left into Lee street instead of right into Pitt street.
    Depends on which exit you use :D:D

But thanks, I actually walk down Lee street on my home everyday, didn't know it was there

Depends on which exit you use :D:D

But thanks, I actually walk down Lee street on my home everyday, didn't know it was there

Mate just look for the hordes of of Sub-continent immigrants reaping around the place ...passports in hand... you cant go wrong

Advertisement