Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

toddler ONLY drinks milk

Options
  • 18-09-2009 8:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

il try to summarize the story, a girl i know has moved to ireland from pakistan with her 2 and a half yearl old little girl. now for whatever reason, the little girl was never weaned and for her whole life to date has only drank milk. she drinks about a litre and a half of milk a day, which i hav worked out isn't even enough calories, let alone minerals and vitamins. ive advised her to go see a public health nurse but in the meantime was hopin someone on here might hav some advice? the little girl is small, weak and has fainted many times. she will sometims hav a small bit of bread, biscuit or crisps but not much. she has 2 night feeds.

because she is weak i doubt it's a good idea to withold milk feeds but maybe im wrong. what vitamins should she take, is the gummy bear ones the best for babies? or pharmaton? also would her best aim now be to strengthen or fatten the litttle girl up a bit and then worry bout trying to vary her diet.

like i said i will go with her today to chemists and the health clinic but was just wondering if anyone here has been through a similar situation. normally i wouldnt worry too much but since the child is not growin optiminally and it is obviously affecting her. also i suggested maybe changin from cows milk to formula or toddler milk? i know normally we wouldnt do this but im afraid the little girl isnt developing properly so am i thinkin down the right road at all?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Best thing to do is get the child to a dr tbh and get medical advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

yeah i agree really, thanks, it's a bit different to the normal toddler won't eat scenario, hopefully will be given some good advice for someone in the know later this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

She will have to be weaned on to other foods the same as any other baby tbh but to to the fact it is a crises situation as the child seems to be malnurioushed then getting medical advice I would say is the way to go for the best intrests of the child.

Advertisement