Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up weight watchers - time to get serious!

Options
  • 18-09-2009 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

So I have been on and off weight watchers for about a year, lost over 10kilos and seem to have reached a plateau.

I exercise every day unless I have been out the night before and I would mainly do cardio and the weight machines. I have been increasing the distance and speed and now I am running just over 6km in 35 minutes. But I could run further if I had the time. Nothing special and it was kind of frustrating me. I wanted to take things to the next level.

I approached my gym instructor who seems to know everything about weightloss/gain. He has made me a programme that completely cuts out cardio. I cant remember it exactly so I will post it tomorrow but it involves weights, which I never really would have done before, and a lot of squats, pushups, burpees etc.

He also was advising me with regards to nutrition. Up until now I have been doing weight watchers and just eating less but not very well. My meals would be ok, usually chicken and salad or chicken stirfry with vegetables. I would have cereal and fruit for breakfast but in between I would be eating WW cookies, Walkers Baked, Velvet Crunch, basically any chocolate or crisps I could get away with within my "points" for the day. I would normally end up getting pizza at least once over the weekend too.

Now he was advising me to get protein powder to get some protein into me 15 minutes after a workout and then have a protein meal about 40 minutes after that. He advised me to take fish oil tablets in the mornings.

Almost forgot, here are my statistics:
    Weight: 69kg
    Height: 5ft 9
    Bodyfat: 30%
    I havn't measured my waist or hips. I would have quite a small waist in comparison to my hips, I generally would wear dresses and tops in a 10 and jeans in a 10-12.

My main goal is to reduce bodyfat and increase muscle (isn't that everyones?!) I don't want to get any bigger, or that much smaller, just to "tone" up (gym instructor hates that word). I am finished work today and heading straight to the gym to try out the new program.

I am a student and starting back to college next week. Anyone have any ideas or advice? I would be very interested to hear of anyones ideas for food that I could prepare at home to bring in with me. The only thing I can think of is cooking chicken and making a salad to bring in. Also, I know cereal is not great to have for breakfast, any other ideas?

Thanks for reading and I hope to keep this updated with the exercise I do (reps, weights etc.) and the food I eat. Wish me luck! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

siobhanoh wrote: »
    So I have been on and off weight watchers for about a year, lost over 10kilos and seem to have reached a plateau.

I exercise every day unless I have been out the night before and I would mainly do cardio and the weight machines. I have been increasing the distance and speed and now I am running just over 6km in 35 minutes. But I could run further if I had the time. Nothing special and it was kind of frustrating me. I wanted to take things to the next level.

I approached my gym instructor who seems to know everything about weightloss/gain. He has made me a programme that completely cuts out cardio. I cant remember it exactly so I will post it tomorrow but it involves weights, which I never really would have done before, and a lot of squats, pushups, burpees etc.

He also was advising me with regards to nutrition. Up until now I have been doing weight watchers and just eating less but not very well. My meals would be ok, usually chicken and salad or chicken stirfry with vegetables. I would have cereal and fruit for breakfast but in between I would be eating WW cookies, Walkers Baked, Velvet Crunch, basically any chocolate or crisps I could get away with within my "points" for the day. I would normally end up getting pizza at least once over the weekend too.

Now he was advising me to get protein powder to get some protein into me 15 minutes after a workout and then have a protein meal about 40 minutes after that. He advised me to take fish oil tablets in the mornings.

Almost forgot, here are my statistics:
    Weight: 69kg
    Height: 5ft 9
    Bodyfat: 30%
    I havn't measured my waist or hips. I would have quite a small waist in comparison to my hips, I generally would wear dresses and tops in a 10 and jeans in a 10-12.

My main goal is to reduce bodyfat and increase muscle (isn't that everyones?!) I don't want to get any bigger, or that much smaller, just to "tone" up (gym instructor hates that word). I am finished work today and heading straight to the gym to try out the new program.

I am a student and starting back to college next week. Anyone have any ideas or advice? I would be very interested to hear of anyones ideas for food that I could prepare at home to bring in with me. The only thing I can think of is cooking chicken and making a salad to bring in. Also, I know cereal is not great to have for breakfast, any other ideas?

Thanks for reading and I hope to keep this updated with the exercise I do (reps, weights etc.) and the food I eat. Wish me luck! :)

hi, giving up weight watchers isnt a bad thing! given the ammount of exercise you are doing your problem is probably diet related ... lifting heavy weights is a good idea maybe twice per week if your goal is weight loss ... I would get a new gym instructor TBH as completely cutting out cardio and taking protein shakes PWO are not necessarily the right tools for losing weight ....

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭siobhanoh

Hi corkcomp, thanks for your reply. I just don't want to have to pay for weight watchers anymore if my weight is going up due to muscle mass. I am just going to give this plan a try for a few weeks, at least I know weight watchers is there if it doesn't work. As for getting a new gym instructor, he's a good friend of mine so can't ditch him :), although he's at 7% bodyfat so I think he knows what he's talking about. And with all the advice he gave me, he explained every bit of the science of it so it seems to make sense. He said if I wanted to still do cardio then I should do it intervals rather than long distance.

Advertisement