Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Bullet Weight For One in Eight Twist Rifle

Options
  • 18-09-2009 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi, I have a Tikka T3 one in eight tiwst rifle which I use for shooting foxes at night. I'm just wondering what is the best bullet weight that suits this rifle. I'm currently shooting Hornady 55 grain. I don't want too shoot too heavy of a bullet grain in case it just passes straight through the fox, without breaking up. A friend suggested that I should be shooting a 69 grain bullet. Does anybody have a similar twist rifle and what rounds suit it best, Thanks.:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Hi, I have a Tikka T3 one in eight tiwst rifle which I use for shooting foxes at night. I'm just wondering what is the best bullet weight that suits this rifle. I'm currently shooting Hornady 55 grain. I don't want too shoot too heavy of a bullet grain in case it just passes straight through the fox, without breaking up. A friend suggested that I should be shooting a 69 grain bullet. Does anybody have a similar twist rifle and what rounds suit it best, Thanks.:confused:

I have a sako 75 heavy varmint in 223 with an eight twist, for foxing its more about the appropriate type of bullet rather than the weight, I use a 40 grain v max in mines for foxing and have killed foxes out to 311 lasered yards with it, its flat shooting and accurate. Polymer tipped ammo in the 40 ,50 and 55 grain range is excellent foxing medicine, its down to personal preference after that.However to get the most out of your rifle
    for target shooting then a heavier bullet will produce better results at the longer ranges, youll also move up to bullets with higher B.Cs.
    I target shoot with mines using a sierra 69 grain matchking bullet, this produces great results out to 600 yards, where if im on form I can easily hit clay pigeons and even some smaller targets on a fairly regular basis.
    Lots of guys have thought I was using a 308 when they seen the accuracy of that round in an eight twist 223;)-another cracking round is a 75 grain v max, I had good results with that as well. So in short , any good polymer tipped ammo in the 40 -55 grain range is excellent for the Irish foxing scene-The 69 matchkings and their ilk are much better suited target rounds for your rifle. Thats how I see it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I have a sako 75 heavy varmint in 223 with an eight twist, for foxing its more about the appropriate type of bullet rather than the weight, I use a 40 grain v max in mines for foxing and have killed foxes out to 311 lasered yards with it, its flat shooting and accurate. Polymer tipped ammo in the 40 ,50 and 55 grain range is excellent foxing medicine, its down to personal preference after that.However to get the most out of your rifle
    for target shooting then a heavier bullet will produce better results at the longer ranges, youll also move up to bullets with higher B.Cs.
    I target shoot with mines using a sierra 69 grain matchking bullet, this produces great results out to 600 yards, where if im on form I can easily hit clay pigeons and even some smaller targets on a fairly regular basis.
    Lots of guys have thought I was using a 308 when they seen the accuracy of that round in an eight twist 223;)-another cracking round is a 75 grain v max, I had good results with that as well. So in short , any good polymer tipped ammo in the 40 -55 grain range is excellent for the Irish foxing scene-The 69 matchkings and their ilk are much better suited target rounds for your rifle. Thats how I see it:)

I have to agree with Fox Shooter on that
    My varmint is 1 in 9 but the 40gr Federal V Shok are very good best was 3 shot group 28mm @300m.

I haven't tried the heavyer bullets yet. only 55ggr SP BT

• Registered Users Posts: 36 woodcock 52

Thanks Lads, I will have to try the 40 grain V Max, I was afraid that they might become unstable and hit off my T8 mod. I will try the heavier rounds for target shooting.:)

Thanks Lads, I will have to try the 40 grain V Max, I was afraid that they might become unstable and hit off my T8 mod. I will try the heavier rounds for target shooting.:)

A light bullet in a fast twist wont ever become unstable, but a heavy bullet in a slow twist will, depending on circumstances of course.
    your twist will handle everything out there between 40 -80 grain;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

And the lighter bullets are going faster 40gr @3700fps 55gr @3100fps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

My tikka fires 40gr bullets ok. Its the length of the bullet, not weight, that affects stability - It just so happens that heavy bullets are long. The exception is poly tip bullets which are long for their weight.

Jonty wrote: »
    My tikka fires 40gr bullets ok. Its the length of the bullet, not weight, that affects stability - It just so happens that heavy bullets are long. The exception is poly tip bullets which are long for their weight.

and these bad boys as well;
    http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/rifle/varmint-grenade/

due to the fact that they are lead free, they are extremley long for their weight !

and these bad boys as well;
    http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/rifle/varmint-grenade/

due to the fact that they are lead free, they are extremley long for their weight !

There fairly explosive alright but reading from a lot of websites they're not as accurate

Jonty wrote: »
    There fairly explosive alright but reading from a lot of websites they're not as accurate
    ive tried them myself, not all they are cracked up to be:)

Just in from a bit of lamping. I was out on a field with slurry spread on it. Milled 4 foxes out of it. 3 of 4 shots in excess of 200yds, I know the field and have ranged it. I must start using the ballistic tip stuff, coz the 3 that were over 200 yds ran about 30yds after solid hits with American Eagle Hollow Point

• Advertisement
Advertisement