Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keith Barry Grandfather Brutally attacked..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

marcsignal wrote: »
    come off it, stop making excuses for the kind of scumbag lowlife cockroackes that committed the crime in the OP and others like it.

I've been through plenty of hard times in the past, living in flatland in the 80's, with no job, no money, and not enough food to feed a fcuking cat on. NEVER ONCE did it ever enter my head, that i could lighten my load, by even shoplifting, never mind entering someones house, beating them to within an inch of their lives and stealing their savings or anything else.

The fact that lowlife like this usually choose old people to steal from, someone who wont put up a fight, speaks volumes, loud and clear, that they are characterless weaklings, unworthy of human DNA.

If they want to behave like animals, they should be treated that way.

Having said that, I've met many people who share your view, and most of them change their minds when something like this affects them personally.

thier are degrees of crime , if someone is hungary , i would forgive them for shoplifting some food and i would not give them a sentance though they would have to be some consequnce , stealing large sums of money is more serious but mercilessly beating an old man or woman in thier home is beyond the pale and the sentencing for such a crime should equal that of murder or rape

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

Its a particular form of lowlife that would break into an OAP's house to beat and rob them.

Maybe more old people could keep pit bull terriers as pets.

I'd be more than happy to hear of scumbags getting savaged by these dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Television magician Keith Barry today criticised the State's justice system after his 82-year-old grandfather was beaten in a robbery at the family home.
    Paddy Barry was left unconscious in an attack at his Waterford home on Wednesday night, and it is feared he may have suffered brain damage.
    His magician called for mandatory three-year prison sentences for criminals who break in to pensioners’ homes and said other pensioners living in the quiet part of the city were petrified.
    “I think anybody who enters a pensioner’s home uninvited, that’s anybody over 65, it should be a mandatory sentence, without bail, without excuses,” he said. “These thugs have no fear. They have no fear for the law. They have no fear for the justice system and they have no fear of us in our homes.”
    Barry said his grandfather has been unresponsive since the attack, suffering bleeding on the brain and showing no signs of improvement. He said tougher laws had to be introduced to strike fear back into the minds of criminals.
    The Department of Justice said the Law Reform Commission is drafting a Bill on legislation to tackle rules around break-ins and what a householder can do to protect themselves. Minister for Justice Dermot Ahern is planning to table reforms before Christmas.
    “The idea that a judge in Ireland, trying a case involving someone over 65 who has been battered in their home, would not throw the rule book at someone convicted of such an horrific offence, the idea that a judge would let someone walk away, I find it incredulous,” a spokesman for the Minister said.
    “Let’s be clear, the Minister has taken a very tough stance on a whole range of crimes and if required he will not be found wanting.”
    The Government rejected a Fine Gael bill yesterday that would have protected householders who attack burglars in their home.
    Barry's grandfather was attacked in his home in the Mount Sion Avenue area of Waterford where he has lived for 60 years. The robbers broke in through the front door between 8pm and 10pm on Wednesday night.
    Gardaí have appealed for anyone who was in the area or the Ballybricken part of the city at the time and saw anything suspicious to come forward.

Somehow the criminals will turn into the victims :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I live close enough to where this happened, and If I ever find out who did it - I'll take a hurley to them. Sick and tired of scum destroying Waterford.

About a year ago, another old man was attacked in his own shop. What's worse was that the old man is actually blind, and was tied up. I know the scumbag who did it too, and thankfully he got caught.

Anyone who attacks anyone in society is scum, but it takes a real evil cnut to attack an old age pensioner.

I hope whoever is responsible for this is caught, preferably by some sick and twisted vigilantes who will torture them until their piss in their pants.

/dlofnep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

My blood's boiling at the thought of scum getting away with sh*t like this. I think Keith Barry's damn right in saying there should be mandatory sentences for anything to do with entering someone's home. Hopefully he'll get some public support and the government might actually do something.
    I think it's ludicrous that they rejected the Fine Gael bill. If some piece of sh*t comes into your home they deserve whatever's coming to them. They know full well when they decide to do it that it's against the law. They do it anyway because, as Barry said, they're not afraid of any consequences and think they'll get away with it. It'd be different if they knew that by breaking in they're at risk of being seriously harmed by the home owner in defence and that the law would back up the home owner.

You should be able to feel completely safe in your home and have confidence that if,in the most extreme case, you killed an intruder in self defence you wouldn't face any charges for it. It'd be great if there was a Punisher-esque style vigilante who killed all those scumbags. They'd solve a problem the Gardaí can't. :mad:

/Rant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭harsea8

Although I sympathize with the guy, why all the ho-ha and media focus on this topic now?...oh, I forgot, the person who was battered was related to a "famous" person, so it suddenly matters!!

Also, Keith comes across as a bit of a tool really. I understand he is upset and angry, but threatening to "shut the country down" until something is done is pretty childish and just a little arrogant (or is he saying he's going to use his magic powers to take over the country?) ---> http://www.independent.ie/national-news/barry-to-bring-country-to-halt-over-assault-1891651.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

harsea8 wrote: »
    Although I sympathize with the guy,

Save your crocodile tears. I don't believe you.

Although I sympathize with the guy, why all the ho-ha and media focus on this topic now?...oh, I forgot, the person who was battered was related to a "famous" person, so it suddenly matters!!

That's nonsense, it was widely discussed in Waterford even before we found out it was Keith Barry's grandad.

But in saying that, if Keith Barry's fame means that there is a greater chance of these scum being caught, then all the better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

dlofnep wrote: »
    I live close enough to where this happened, and If I ever find out who did it - I'll take a hurley to them. Sick and tired of scum destroying Waterford.

About a year ago, another old man was attacked in his own shop. What's worse was that the old man is actually blind, and was tied up. I know the scumbag who did it too, and thankfully he got caught.
    Anyone who attacks anyone in society is scum, but it takes a real evil cnut to attack an old age pensioner.

I hope whoever is responsible for this is caught, preferably by some sick and twisted vigilantes who will torture them until their piss in their pants.

/dlofnep

If I remember the attack on the blind shopkeeper correctly, didn't the animal that attacked him use the old "Has a drug problem and not really my fault" excuse and get released earlier this year to get drug rehabilitation?

With any luck he will be found floating in the Barrow alongside the scum that beat up the old man this week.

Kess73 wrote: »
    If I remember the attack on the blind shopkeeper correctly, didn't the animal that attacked him use the old "Has a drug problem and not really my fault" excuse and get released earlier this year to get drug rehabilitation?

He got out early? Scumbag. I didn't know that.

They are discussing the issue now on WLRFM - stream on www.wlrfm.com
    With any luck he will be found floating in the Barrow alongside the scum that beat up the old man this week.

Amen.

• Advertisement

Also, Keith comes across as a bit of a tool really. I understand he is upset and angry, but threatening to "shut the country down" until something is done is pretty childish and just a little arrogant (or is he saying he's going to use his magic powers to take over the country?) ---> http://www.independent.ie/national-news/barry-to-bring-country-to-halt-over-assault-1891651.html

Well if Keith Barry making a "ho ha" about it causes something to actually get done, and maybe help prevent some future attacks, then it will be worth it.

Because he has a public profile, he will be able to keep the story in the media for longer than a regular member of the public would be able to.

That waster minister just highlighted his own ineptitude by saying they will be looking into a new bill around December. In other words put it on the long finger and hope that people forget about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

well thats the problem these days with the law. the big boys up top in government don't see or have to deal with our reality cause they don't exist in it. they only exist in their own cuddly little cotton wool world. if anyone thinks that this government ever had a tear to shed for the amount of people that have suffered or died as a result of this kind of thing like being beaten to death in your own f ucking home, they have not even worried a shread about it. time to change this piece of s hit law and give back some dignity to the elders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Skum!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Wiley1

Wibbs wrote: »

The problem outside ones personal morals on this is where a situation like this arises is could you do it? If not and you froze and a weapon is involved then that weapon may be turned against you. I would say most people without training or an inbuilt aggressive reaction would freeze. Like with disasters like plane crashes and the like, most freeze. Survivor types(or trained types) take action but they're in the minority.

Well said, Anyone who thinks they would take a burglars head off in a flash should have a hard look at themselves, If you are asleep and woken up you are not "in the game", only a trained or very prepared person would have the savvy at 5 in the morning to use the brain and deal with an intruder effeciently.

There's a market for training people in dealing with intruders i'm thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 softwing

what a crappy response to Keith's family upset Harsea8.. I think it's you that's the tool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

softwing wrote: »
    what a crappy response to Keith's family upset Harsea8.. I think it's you that's the tool!

Banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Harsh.

Barry's grandad not expected to survive assault
    THE FAMILY of magician Keith Barry's grandfather do not believe he will survive a savage attack in which he sustained severe brain damage last week.

Widower Paddy Barry (82) remains in a critical condition at Waterford Regional Hospital after he was set upon in his home by an intruder at about 9.40pm last Wednesday. He sustained bleeding to the brain, severe facial injuries and a broken arm during the attack and has not shown any improvement since his horrifying ordeal.

A family spokesperson said yesterday that they are "not expecting a positive outcome" and are concentrating on keeping the brave pensioner as comfortable as possible.

The beating he suffered after at least one burglar broke through three front-door locks at the terraced house in Waterford's Mount Sion Avenue has left Mr Barry paralysed along his right side and almost totally unresponsive.

"His eyes are responding to light but they can't actually focus," said the family member.

"There is no intervention at the moment, there's nothing they can do. We're just expecting the worst. We don't know when that's going to happen."

This is getting me really fúcking angry. I'm sorry, but it feels so personal when you read something like that.. like it was your own father or grandfather.

dlofnep wrote: »
    Barry's grandad not expected to survive assault

This is getting me really fúcking angry. I'm sorry, but it feels so personal when you read something like that.. like it was your own father or grandfather.

I have to agree, there is just something about this kind of attack that really hits home, even without knowing the poor man who was attacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Mr. Barry died during the night, RIP. :(

• Advertisement

Oh god, poor man.

RIP :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Irish Times, Tuesday, September 22, 2009, 08:19:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0922/breaking16.htm
    Grandfather of entertainer dies

The elderly grandfather of a well-known entertainer has died in hospital after he was left unconscious following a break-in at his home in Waterford city.

Paddy Barry (82) died at around 5.30am in Waterford Regional Hospital having sustained head injuries during the robbery at his home in the Mount Sion area of the city between 8pm and 10pm last Wednesday.

A post mortem will be carried out later today.

One man was questioned by detectives in Waterford following the incident under section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act. He was released on Thursday and a file is being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

His grandson, the magician Keith Barry, criticised the Irish criminal justice system over the weekend on the Marian Finucane Show.

During the programme Mr Barry called on the Department of Justice to introduce tougher laws punishing those who target older people.

He said other elderly people living in the usually quiet Mount Sion area of the city were petrified following the attack.

“These thugs have no fear. They have no fear for the law. They have no fear for the justice system and they have no fear of us in our homes,” he said.

“I think anybody who enters a pensioner’s home uninvited . . . should get a mandatory sentence, without bail, without excuses,” he said.

The Department said the Law Reform Commission is drafting a Bill of complex legislation to address matters surrounding break-ins.

The Bill is also likely to cover what a householder can do to protect themselves at such times.

Last week, the Government rejected a Fine Gael Bill which would have given greater protection to householders who attack burglars in their home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Poor man. RIP

Shocking story

RIP

Truly Tragic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭lala stone

RIP :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Wiley1 wrote: »
    Well said, Anyone who thinks they would take a burglars head off in a flash should have a hard look at themselves, If you are asleep and woken up you are not "in the game", only a trained or very prepared person would have the savvy at 5 in the morning to use the brain and deal with an intruder effeciently.

There's a market for training people in dealing with intruders i'm thinking.

If I caught an intruder in my home they would be leaving in a box. I'd rather be tried by 12 of my peers than be carried by 6 of them. Condolences to the Barry family on their tragic loss.

Poor man, that's sad news.

Imagine living to see the 84th year of your life, and then to meet your end in this manner???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

i've always said an intruder getting into my house is the easy part, because they sure as shit wouldn't be walking out. training or not, the average joe should learn to have a knife or other instrument handy to protect themselves.

• Advertisement

This country has gone to the dogs so it has.
    Old people are treated like second class citizens.
    It makes me so angry.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

RIP.
    Very saddening, my grandparents died long ago, but I would urge any of you who's grandparents or elderly parents live alone to take that little extra time to ensure that their homes are secure and check on them more often.
    With scum like this in the country the least we can do is be vigilant.
    I keep a baseball bat beside the bed I'd have no qualms using it if anyone broke into my home or threatened my loved ones.

Zadkiel wrote: »
    I keep a baseball bat beside the bed I'd have no qualms using it if anyone broke into my home or threatened my loved ones.

That's grand if you're young enough to be able to use it to smack someone down without having to worry about them getting back up again, but a man in the 84th year of his life probably isn't much of a threat to a burglar with a base ball bat.

Legally held firearm is the way to go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

Its very sad to hear the death of Mr Barry.. but it was very sad also to hear he was attacked in his own home.

My granny is in her ninties and lives alone the though of her being attached in her own home makes me feel physically sick.

I really struggle to see what we owe the perpetrators of these crimes, what consideration do we as a society owe people like this?

Just lock them up for a long stretch - do not consider their circumstances - these crimes are beyond the pale in my opinion.

gerry28 wrote: »
    I really struggle to see what we owe the perpetrators of these crimes, what consideration do we as a society owe people like this?

We owe them a good hiding with a hurley tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mrangryishere

my condolences to the barry family!my family are from the same part of the city (griffith place/yellow road),my aunt used to run a small hucksters shop on mount sion ave and was robbed and attacked on several occasions,often by locals,my grandmother was also robbed at knife point in her home on griffith place,sad to see that this type of crime is still being commited in a part of the city that is by and large populated by older people-guess they are considered a soft touch by the scum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

It says alot about this country at the moment where we can find millons to pay for free legal aid for serial offenders and garda drivers for our jet setting high life loving minsters but our goverment cant be arsed protecting our young or elderly....it seem to be that the only use most of us are to the likes of FF is for paying taxes which in turn looks after the big shots and scum of this country.RIP Paddy Barry

I know in Ireland, we have this thing that the two primary causes of sudden unexpected deaths in Ireland in terms of people dying for reasons not relating to an existing medical condition, are probably accepted to be road traffic accidents and suicides. Say you said maybe 1,000 people died needlessly a year due to suicides and road traffic accidents...

My question is, how many people die each year because of scumbags??? How many people do we think might have died this year because some scumbag out of his head on drugs and drink caused their deaths???

Paddy Barry was definitely one victim... How many other people, minding their own business, representing a threat to noboby, became the target of a scumbag and lost their life over it???

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Sinderella

How very very sad. I can't imagine what that poor man's last moments were like at the hands of those sick, evil, selfish ba$tards.

I can't have any sympathy for the ****s that did this. It's times like this I wish there was corporal punishment. Some cruelty is just beyond human and they should not be treated as humans.

May he RIP. Thoughts & prayers to his family, they must be devastated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

These animals have absolutely no morals or conscience. Makes me sick. How anyone can do something like this to another person, let alone an elderly person with no real means to defend themselves. Sickening. Some people just shouldn't be allowed carry on breathing. Kinda reminds me of this story.
    Burglars have snapped the neck of an elderly woman's budgie in front of her after she refused to hand over money.

Police said the woman had lost her pet, a "soulmate" in a "brutal" manner.

Every so often something like this happens and it sends everyone up in a heap talking about this, that and the other. And in the end nothing ever actually happens to prevent something like this happening again and the thugs go on to ruin countless other lives.

These animals have absolutely no morals or conscience. Makes me sick. How anyone can do something like this to another person, let alone an elderly person with no real means to defend themselves. Sickening. Some people just shouldn't be allowed carry on breathing. Kinda reminds me of this story.

Every so often something like this happens and it sends everyone up in a heap talking about this, that and the other. And in the end nothing ever actually happens to prevent something like this happening again and the thugs go on to ruin countless other lives.
    know its not very PC but Nally had the right idea,if a few more of them got shot they would think twice before breaking into someones home

• Advertisement

Darragh29 wrote: »
    If I caught an intruder in my home they would be leaving in a box. I'd rather be tried by 12 of my peers than be carried by 6 of them. Condolences to the Barry family on their tragic loss.

if you were convicted , i would personally lead a campaign to have the verdict over turned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

So sad :(

R.I.P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

flanzer wrote: »
    To add to this, I laughed a number of months back when some burglers from Darndale tried it on with a Chinese family in a neighbouring estate to mine and killed the scumbag stone dead! Seemingly they tried to take the takings from the family's restaurant and one of the scumbags got the ultimate comeuppance. Justice was truly served

EDIT: Sorry, I thought he died. Here's the story. Heros .... http://www.independent.ie/national-news/hero-father-defends-family-as-knifewielding-thugs-threaten-to-kill-his-twoweekold-son-1301203.html

I hate stories like this give them the money thick. And then no one had any chance of getting hurt.He took a great risk with his wife and kids.

If they are after money give it to them.:rolleyes:

Sad but true. I hate hearing stories of acts of cruelty towards elderly and children. They are so vulnerable and it happens too often. I've lost count of how many times I've heard reports of elderly people being robbed, beaten, raped or murdered in their own homes this year and I don't even listen to the news often!

The elderly are too often ignored in society, it's so sad. The gov't really should work on protecting them. We'll all be old some day...

bonzos wrote: »
    know its not very PC but Nally had the right idea,if a few more of them got shot they would think twice before breaking into someones home

padraig nally is a hero and a gentleman , the man was terrorised in his own home on an on going basis , that a low life ended up dead was the result of garda incompetance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Rest in peace heart felt condolences to his family :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

I have no problem admitting I'm all for vigilantism, but understand its problems and limitations. On the other hand why can't stiffer penalties just be brought in??? Don't make it such an easy decision for these "people" to carry on what they're doing; bringing nothing but pain, loss and misery to other peoples' lives. Penalties that stretch all the way to these animals finally giving something back - be it with their time through community service or chain gangs all the way (and I'm serious about this) to the death penalty with their organs being donated to medical research or donors. As it is all they do is carry on terrorising people or if they ever do get locked up for a few weeks or months costing us money before being released and invariably re offending and ruining more lives. Things need to change.

moe_sizlak wrote: »
    padraig nally is a hero and a gentleman , the man was terrorised in his own home on an on going basis , that a low life ended up dead was the result of garda incompetance
    I would personally donate to a fund to help pay the legal fees of anyone who shot a scumbag in their home.the only peolpe who defend these low life are either (a)scumbags or (b) dreamers who dont live in the real world and think that everyone should be given a chance to defend themselves in a courth of law...they seem to for get that it may take years to get to court and during that time your life will be a living hell from these thugs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

I would personally donate to a fund to help pay the legal fees of anyone eho shot a scumbag in their home.

+1

Sincere sympathies to the Barry Family.

I would personally donate to a fund to help pay the legal fees of anyone who shot a scumbag in their home.the only peolpe who defend these low life are either (a)scumbags or (b) dreamers who dont live in the real world and think that everyone should be given a chance to defend themselves in a courth of law...they seem to for get that it may take years to get to court and during that time your life will be a living hell from these thugs

Ditto, all that

• Advertisement
Advertisement