Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax relief on rent

Options
  • 18-09-2009 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭

We are looking into trying to apply for tax relief on rent that we are paying each month. We lodge the rent into the landlords account every month, so therefore there is no standing order set up. My questions are .. do we need receipts from landlord to apply for this tax relief, or can we just show the rent coming out of our account and into his? and we have been renting for 15 months in same house, the first year we paid €750 and the second year we are paying €685, does anyone know how much roughly we should get back?

Also my boyfriend was renting an apartment before we moved in here, for about 9 months, in 2007, is it too late for him to apply for tax relief for that year?

Sorry for all the questions, we just havent a clue!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

I dont know exactly how much your entitled to but all you need is the Landlords PPS number, as far as I know your boyfriend can also claim back relief from the previous letting.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/renting-a-home/tax_relief_for_tenants

Details here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

You can claim a tax rebate on rent dating back 4 years. You will receive the rebate for the previous years in a lump sum into the bank, whilst any rent relief claimed for this year will come as a tax credit in your wages.

All you need to claim in to fill out the form with your landlords name, address and their pps number. You will also need to fill in your details. You can print the form off from www.revenue.ie.

You are entitled to a 20% of what rent you pay per year up to a maximum of E400 per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

You can claim a tax rebate on rent dating back 4 years. You will receive the rebate for the previous years in a lump sum into the bank, whilst any rent relief claimed for this year will come as a tax credit in your wages.

All you need to claim in to fill out the form with your landlords name, address and their pps number. You will also need to fill in your details. You can print the form off from www.revenue.ie.

You are entitled to a 20% of what rent you pay per year up to a maximum of E400 per year.

Hi do u mean a maximum of €4000 a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Nope, it's 400 a year, better than a kick up the arse tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Im confused! It has in the revenue site link that was posted here that the maximum for say a married couple, under 55 is €4000 and a single person under 55 is €2000...I dont understand!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

€2,000 x 20% = €400

Advertisement