Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Airsoft Guns from eHobbyAsia?

Options
  • 18-09-2009 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

I am looking at buying the KJ Works Tanio Koba M4A1 from ehobbyasia, I was wondering if it is a good idea or not? Would I be having customs trouble or will everything be fine?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

Soberts wrote: »
    I am looking at buying the KJ Works Tanio Koba M4A1 from ehobbyasia, I was wondering if it is a good idea or not? Would I be having customs trouble or will everything be fine?

At the moment, its still ok to import stuff, although that will change in the coming weeks or months.

Theres a small chance it'll be sent to ballistics for testing, so make sure its under 1 joule of power or you could lose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Soberts

Shiva wrote: »
    At the moment, its still ok to import stuff, although that will change in the coming weeks or months.

Theres a small chance it'll be sent to ballistics for testing, so make sure its under 1 joule of power or you could lose it.
    Its 300 fps with green gas, and 470 with ultra air (might be other way around) so it will depend what gas I use
    Thanks for the reply
    Edit
    290FPS (HFC134a Gas Test @ 25°C Room Temperature) Recommend / 470FPS (Top Gas Test @ 25°C Room Temperature

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭gerkeo

What FPS can it be to be allowed in by customs?

gerkeo wrote: »
    What FPS can it be to be allowed in by customs?
    I presume less than 328fps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

Edit
    290FPS (HFC134a Gas Test @ 25°C Room Temperature) Recommend / 470FPS (Top Gas Test @ 25°C Room Temperature

Thats the thing though - I'm not sure ballistics will use HFC134a if they test them.

I had a shotgun taken which is designed for use with green gas, and is perfectly legal - but it was tested with CO2, and deemed to be a firearm. My personal opinion is that gas powered guns are a bit of a grey area.

• Advertisement

Shiva wrote: »
    Thats the thing though - I'm not sure ballistics will use HFC134a if they test them.
    Im not really willing to take that risk so I think ill keep my EUR250!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

if its your first aeg/gbb then i would tend to buy locally in ireland. i have bought quite a bit locally and abroad but there are issues with abroad. If you need support and service it is more difficult, sometimes a lot more, sometimes a lot less. What you are paying for extra here is the backup and support. In my mind thats what the difference in price is about. You pay more here to avoid customs issues, reliability issues, backup etc.

The real question i think for yourself is what is the price difference and is it worth the potential risk to you...emphasis on you.

pretty soon you will get a raft of responses telling you to buy here or buy abroad and how you can save this abroad or that here...

your mind will explode. so here is what I do...emphasis on I

look at the aeg on ehobby get a price + SHIPPING and add another 20 odd percent to it (at least that what i add). The latter depends on customs obviously. I have been charged and not charged on shipments, BUT you should always assume you will be charged. Also assume you will get the crappest rate of exchange on paypal, at least i always do!

then get a price locally for the same aeg. Talk to the shop, ask what they think. I trust a lot of the people here who post that sell these things. No shop owner here want to sell duds. its bad for you and ultimately for them. So local experience is worth a lot to me. You maybe suprised that the price difference is not as dramatic as you expect.

you can use abroad for the extra bits like mags, i personally find they are cheaper but it is worth going thru the same process to ensure you are getting value for money.

The big advantage of abroad IMHO is stock levels, but i am hoping that will change here when the law does.

now compare and decide is it worth the price difference for YOU for your aeg/gbb or parts. Ultimately you are the one that has to hit the SUBMIT payment button.

Good luck

if its your first aeg/gbb then i would tend to buy locally in ireland. i have bought quite a bit locally and abroad but there are issues with abroad. If you need support and service it is more difficult, sometimes a lot more, sometimes a lot less. What you are paying for extra here is the backup and support. In my mind thats what the difference in price is about. You pay more here to avoid customs issues, reliability issues, backup etc.

The real question i think for yourself is what is the price difference and is it worth the potential risk to you...emphasis on you.

pretty soon you will get a raft of responses telling you to buy here or buy abroad and how you can save this abroad or that here...

your mind will explode. so here is what I do...emphasis on I

look at the aeg on ehobby get a price + SHIPPING and add another 20 odd percent to it (at least that what i add). The latter depends on customs obviously. I have been charged and not charged on shipments, BUT you should always assume you will be charged. Also assume you will get the crappest rate of exchange on paypal, at least i always do!

then get a price locally for the same aeg. Talk to the shop, ask what they think. I trust a lot of the people here who post that sell these things. No shop owner here want to sell duds. its bad for you and ultimately for them. So local experience is worth a lot to me. You maybe suprised that the price difference is not as dramatic as you expect.

you can use abroad for the extra bits like mags, i personally find they are cheaper but it is worth going thru the same process to ensure you are getting value for money.

The big advantage of abroad IMHO is stock levels, but i am hoping that will change here when the law does.

now compare and decide is it worth the price difference for YOU for your aeg/gbb or parts. Ultimately you are the one that has to hit the SUBMIT payment button.

Good luck
    Cheers mate, I really dont think its worth the hasle, to be honest I think I am just buying a GBBR to have one, they are really a disadvantage when playing against people using lipo's etc, which is nearly everyone nowadays!!!

i dont own one, but there is no doubt, they are uber cool.

you know as well as i do...if you are an addict...saying you wont buy a gbb is like saying the sun wont rise tomorrow...LOL

i dont own one, but there is no doubt, they are uber cool.

you know as well as i do...if you are an addict...saying you wont buy a gbb is like saying the sun wont rise tomorrow...LOL
    Haha.... mate dont tell me that im trying to talk myself out of it!!!lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

Gbbs are fun, but highly impractical... Also not a fan of the KJ build quality tbh...

Shiva is right, Gas guns are a HUGE grey area.... its probably safest to get a retailer in ireland to import it for you, as a 'special order'. Gardai balistics arent the smartest cookies... and the customs lads panic at anything pointy shaped... Unless you're sure its legal, dont do it imo... with gas... no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭TNTQ

Get yourself a nice Electric Blowback.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

I've yet to see an electric blowback that was even worth considering tbh... gas is the only form of blowback worth it's salt.

TNTQ wrote: »
    Get yourself a nice Electric Blowback.
    The TM flopmod is.... meh... specific mags, (annoying) and overpriced plastic...

The gbbs are more fun and more realistic... As KD says... theres yet to be an electric blowback proven reliable, or decent...

I have a pretty nice gun as it is, its just that the GBBR's have a WOW factor attached!

Firekitten wrote: »
    The TM flopmod is.... meh... specific mags, (annoying) and overpriced plastic...

The gbbs are more fun and more realistic... As KD says... theres yet to be an electric blowback proven reliable, or decent...
    I thought the top tech 416 was supposed to be very good

toptechs can be, thier m16s are ok, but they have been known to wear parts faster than others leading to failure... I saw 5 toptechs kkill themselves faster than any other gun. Ebb guns were designed to make aegs realistic. now gbbs arrived, theres little point... when gas guns get good... aegs will be near redundant, other than for the speedball softers. Plus no electric recoil will ever match an agm m4 on green,... that is good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭TNTQ

toptechs can be, thier m16s are ok, but they have been known to wear parts faster than others leading to failure... I saw 5 toptechs kkill themselves faster than any other gun. Ebb guns were designed to make aegs realistic. now gbbs arrived, theres little point... when gas guns get good... aegs will be near redundant, other than for the speedball softers. Plus no electric recoil will ever match an agm m4 on green,... that is good...

I had few nice EBB in my hands. With a very nice feel, nice for the ear too.

Let say you have GBB rifle. Where in Ireland you are going to use it, like in acctuall game? It's going to take some time untill it's going to be possible, but that is just my point of view and you don't have to agree with it. GBB rifles are not practical in current conditions.

not really... they are fine tbh...

I've got a few little toys inside mine, and shes accurate, reliable, and has little cool down on green (and under 1j) I use it in game... I dont need to spray thousands of bbs to combat someone doing same. I use something called 'sights'

well that i can answer i have the g&g top tech 416. Yes the bolt moving is interesting...but its nothing more then really a visual IMHO. In fact i dont notice it any more. its a nice to have but it doesnt affect your aiming. i dont think you can compare that to a gbb if you want the realism.

again that just my opinion

great aeg tho...razor blade accurate, fast rof if that floats yer boat, looks cool but no trades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

theres yet to be an electric blowback proven reliable, or decent...

i would not say that, i rather like the tm sopmod, the recoil is not great but noticable and more importatly fun :) , yes gbb has more kick and a bit more relistic but hay for conveniance and use in winter the tm gets my vote

the unique mags are a pain if you alreayd have an m4/m16 as you have to buy a new set but if you do not have an m4.m16 no big loss, also the ability to switch between 30 round and 80 round limits on the mags is a nice feature

battery design is nice and easy to use, but weight this with the cost of the battery, i have seen a number of mods to fit larger crane stock batterys into the sopmod with great sucess

range and accuracy are above par and you get the normal tm reliability

it is expensive and im lookin for ward to seeing the army clone if it is ever released, but even at its current price tag i still see it as a good buy if your looking for a nice balance between practicality and relism without going for a systema

the tm ak again are also great gun

Not to mention that GBB's in general can be quite unreliable in the Irish weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

TNTQ wrote: »
    I had few nice EBB in my hands. With a very nice feel, nice for the ear too.

Let say you have GBB rifle. Where in Ireland you are going to use it, like in acctuall game? It's going to take some time untill it's going to be possible, but that is just my point of view and you don't have to agree with it. GBB rifles are not practical in current conditions.

I was more thinking of EBB pistols at the time (they are truly useless), the EBB rifles are OK, slightly more practical than GBB, true, but I still don't think they really compare to GBB.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Bought a GBB from there before. Was a tenner cheaper if I'd missed out on tax, but I got hit, so its was 3 euro dearer than to buy here, and no returns realistically. Buy here unless its a big order.

Well not for all things...

a bunch of us here paid 150 (WITH customs) for our agm gbbs... from hk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

Well not for all things...

a bunch of us here paid 150 (WITH customs) for our agm gbbs... from hk

swings and roundabouts, i also know a number of people who have had theirs seized and being held by customer for a number of weeks

I knew that speedboat was a good investment...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

It's always good to have options, as well as the difference in stock. Full Airsoft guns, Parts & Accessories, custom jobs available only through certain stores etc...so while the option's available, it may as well be exploited.

I've ordered through redwolf and I wasn't aware of Vat charges, but it still worked out about 10 quid cheaper. It's nowhere near as much as it was before vatting, but then again there is a reason for the price difference here

Advertisement