Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pensioner seriously assaulted & robbed.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Ed_

These ***** need to be caught and made an example of. It is a terrible state of affairs when the most vulnerable of our society cannot feel safe in their own homes.

My condolences go to the entire Barry family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Prevention would be better than cure! Whatever happened to neighbourhood watch??

Personally, I feel the resident's committee in each area should form groups who would organise a shift pattern for a couple of hours to keep an eye on certain vantage points in their estates and report anything suspicious to the Gardai (not, take the law into their own hands). Surely there's enough people on shift-work to make this happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

RIP terrible news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

it says the guards are still trying to establish whether he was attacked?:confused:

what does that mean?its obvious he was attacked,he didnt exactly suffer serious injuries sitting in his chair having a cup of tea .

my condolences to his family,RIP Paddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

anplaya wrote: »
    it says the guards are still trying to establish whether he was attacked?:confused:

what does that mean?its obvious he was attacked,he didnt exactly suffer serious injuries sitting in his chair having a cup of tea .

my condolences to his family,RIP Paddy.

I guess it's due to the fact that they couldn't examine him properly while he was still alive, but now that he's dead they can do a full autopsy and prepare as much evidence as possible to put these c**ts away for a long, long time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

gscully wrote: »
    Prevention would be better than cure! Whatever happened to neighbourhood watch??

Personally, I feel the resident's committee in each area should form groups who would organise a shift pattern for a couple of hours to keep an eye on certain vantage points in their estates and report anything suspicious to the Gardai (not, take the law into their own hands). Surely there's enough people on shift-work to make this happen?

I totally agree with your statement. But, from experience this is not the way it would work. What you would have is the same 4/5 people doing their bit while the rest of the estate, no matter what size it is, don't care and do nothing. But, when something happens to the people that don't help, they are the first to complain and bang down the door of a resident's committee member and demand this that and the other.

This is off topic and I apologies.

My deepest sympathies to the Barry family at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Sad news that he has passed in such bad way, a 82 year old man would not take much to do damage to him and even if he got such a fright he got heart attack the scum who entered his home should still be done for manslaughter or IMO murder, everbody especially older people should feel safe in their own homes ,unfortunately its not the case,something needs to be done and these people caught.

R.I.P paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

This is dreadful news.May Paddy rest in peace.And may his family find strength to bear the grief and loss. We have to act as one community throughout this crime ridden state,to be watchful and protective of the vulnerable.There are countless numbers of people in cities,towns and country living in fear of violent robbery.This may not be connected to this horrific crime but it is a fact that there are gangs roaming freely in their jeeps,vans and cars and in vehicles which are not theirs, seeking an opportunity to rob,and they will maim and even kill for gain.There are also informants at a local level,feeding these predators with criminal intelligence. I find it very difficult to understand in this age of advanced technology that the Gardai cannot apprehend these career criminals or curtail their activities with the intelligence at their disposal.I am certain though in any community that has suffered from this type of this sickening crime that there are people at a local level who possess vital information but, tragically ,for the innocent victims in the past and in the future they will remain silent...a cowardly, selfish,amoral even criminal silence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I am actually amazed how angry I am over this,

May the poor man rest in peace and I sympathise with the Barry family for their loss. As has been said by a number of other posters death is too good for the people responsible, I honestly hope the guilt haunts them for the rest of their lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭rohe

such sad news, r.i.p
    hope they find the scum that did this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Joe Barry R.I.P

Theres No excuse to harm an elderly man and take his money and personal belongings, none whatsoever. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

This scumbag better rot in hell soon !!:mad::mad:

R.I.P Paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Awful news. Whoever did this should be shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Awful news. Whoever did this should be shot.

Too quick Mossy. Too quick for the likes of those scum..

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

My deepest condolences to the entire Barry family..
    When I heard this I was sick to the stomach, what kind of scum have we got in our city? How on earth could anyone be so callous to assault an 82 year old man...
    They should find the bastards that did it and hang them!

dlofnep wrote: »
    Too quick Mossy. Too quick for the likes of those scum..

Perhaps. It just sickens me when any defenceless person is subjected to any sort of intrusion in their home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

Awful stuff. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Very sad news. But I'm confused by this...
    Gardaí say the preliminary findings of a post mortem on his body contain no specific evidence of an assault.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/archives/2009/0923/ireland/eycwqleyaukf/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Yeah, that part confused me too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Basically, it seems the press had it all wrong initially. From the early post mortem results, there is no indication he was actually assaulted. He was able to call the Gardai for assistance and provide directions, but was found in a poor state on arrival. So it seems the after effect (possible heart attack?) of the assault resulted in his poor state.

The full results should give a clearer indication as to what happened. If they find those who did the robbery, its likely a charge can be brought against them (not just plain awl robbery).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 salome74

NO RESPECT......................
    its absolutely shocking that anyone who has put down 82 years could ever be treated in such a way......

the punishment in these cases is all wrong , it only gears them up for their next target......

the only way they might possibly learn right from wrong is to be put in similar situations themselves ....... and put into some of the dirtiest jobs known to man and left doing them for a few months......sorry A FEW YEARS!!!!!!!!!

then they would know the real meaning of SCUM which is what they are!!!!!!

anyone who treats old people like this is a disgrace ........

salome74 wrote: »
    and put into some of the dirtiest jobs known to man and left doing them for a few months......

A few months? The full length of their prison term. That would be a deterrent for most to not get put back into prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭TeRmInAlCrAzY

R.I.P. with greatest respect.

I really feel these days that the barbarian hordes are assaulting civilisation. Getting might sick of it, too.

Advertisement