Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

54 Billion - How would you spend it ?

Options

Comments

Or maybe you would buy some worthless loans? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I'd give it to those poor, impoverished bankers. hear they've been through a bad time lately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

€54 billion doesn't buy what it used to, thats for sure. We've a full shopping list already made out here, and it certainly wouldn't cover all that. It would get the ball rolling on most of it however, and several of the schemes (notably education) are fairly self financing. The rest would have to be covered as time goes on.

Handing it to the banks more or less ensures they won't be lending any time soon, ironically.

How about we buy 54 billion worth of Dutch Tulips :D

could we spare 4.8 billion aside for a Dublin metro?
    Dublin metro plans set to cost taxpayer billions: ThePost.ie

Sure while we are at it we could put a Luas in around Cork, Galway, Waterford and Limerick.
    http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/?c=ireland&jp=cwididsneykf
    http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/waterford-luas-feasibility-study/

Gas thing is we could do this and would have tens of billions left over yet we want to waste 54 billion on NAMA. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

could we spare 4.8 billion aside for a Dublin metro?
    Dublin metro plans set to cost taxpayer billions: ThePost.ie

Sure while we are at it we could put a Luas in around Cork, Galway, Waterford and Limerick.
    http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/?c=ireland&jp=cwididsneykf
    http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/waterford-luas-feasibility-study/

Gas thing is we could do this and would have tens of billions left over yet we want to waste 54 billion on NAMA. :mad:

While I think the Metro would be nice, I'm happy enough to just take the bus. Also, why stop there with the list of places to put in a tram system...why not build tram lines in Kinnegad and Stradbally too? Perhaps a monorail in Ballybofey?

While I think the Metro would be nice, I'm happy enough to just take the bus. Also, why stop there with the list of places to put in a tram system...why not build tram lines in Kinnegad and Stradbally too? Perhaps a monorail in Ballybofey?

Perhaps...be better than some overvalued fields in Roscommon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

W Perhaps a monorail in Ballybofey?

Lyle Lanley: Well, sir, there's nothing on earth
    Like a genuine,
    Bona fide,
    Electrified,
    Six-car
    Monorail!
    What'd I say?

Ned Flanders: Monorail!

Lyle Lanley: What's it called?

Patty+Selma: Monorail!

Lyle Lanley: That's right! Monorail!

etc

sorry thats about how much i'm interested anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

I wouldn't give a ***in dime back to the gov in this country! (or the UK!)

I'd spend it on a good foreign football team :)

Let the Gov suffer, they got this country into this rot and they should get it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Jump ship... bail out quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

I would cover Croke park pitch in 20 euro notes 2000 deep. Or you could have a line of 2 euro coins one and a half times around the world.

Or you could buy enough wind turbines to produce 54 gigawatts (1 million per megawatt)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

A few pints.

orourkeda wrote: »
    A few pints.

a few? At say €5 a pop you could have 10,800,000,000 pints :)

If you drank one every 10 minutes it would take you over 2 million years to drink them all so you better be sharing :mad:

a few? At say €5 a pop you could have 108,000,000,000 pints :)

If you drank one every 10 minutes it would take you over 2 million years to drink them all so you better be sharing :mad:

A 2 Million year session. Hoorah.

1 Billion ish pints is a fair amount of scoops to be getting through alright.

orourkeda wrote: »
    A 2 Million year session. Hoorah.

1 Billion ish pints is a fair amount of scoops to be getting through alright.

ahem.....10.8 billion pints ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

lots and lots of Jellys...

-Drav!

ahem.....10.8 billion pints ;)

Damn typos

lots and lots of Jellys...

-Drav!

Throw in some werthers originals and white bonbons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Property. You can't go wrong with property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Pay Fianna Fail off to get out of politics forever, thereby allowing someone with the best interests of the country to get into power ?

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Pay Fianna Fail off to get out of politics forever, thereby allowing someone with the best interests of the country to get into power ?

Pay Mary Coughlan to teach Science.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

I'd give it to Bertie, send him to the Gi-Gi's and he'll comeback with €200bn in a brown enevelope.

spadder wrote: »
    I'd give it to Bertie, send him to the Gi-Gi's and he'll comeback with €200bn in a brown enevelope.

He already got a job as a tipster with the news of the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

ill buy every horse in Ireland and set them free :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭halkar

Give to tax payers as a xmas bonus in their pay check. You get almost 30% back instantly in taxes. The rest of it will be spent, another 21% on vat and some on vrt. More than half will be back to government within few months. The rest may create some jobs take few of the dole, saving few yoyos for the government and\or save some jobs that possible will be gone after xmas. As for the banks, they may get some of it if people decide to pay some of their loans and credit cards. Let the fat cats to move closer to cliffs of Moher :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

• Build my own roads around Ireland and put a toll plaza on each one charging 10c everytime you go through - each vehicle can't be charged more than 1 euro per day.
    • Clear all my family and friends debt
    • Buy 2 row of seats in the Hogan Stand for myself and friends for life.
    • Keep a billion for myself
    • Then with the rest I'd give every adult in the country who votes in the next general election an even share of the money - its the only way to get a definite figure and I'd say we're guaranteed a full turn-out :)
    OR

I'd loan some money to some country in deep **** in return for land, good repayment terms and ensure that my family and friends pay no tax EVER and free healthcare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

Start an Irish space program and put an Irish man on the moon (Brian Cowan):D

Or

Buy 54 billion scratch cards from the lotto. Employ 40000 people to scratch them and use the profits to start a property empire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

FREE PINEAPPLES FOR ALL!

Advertisement