Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MFT recovery using Testdisk?

• 18-09-2009 11:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

Guys,
    I've been fixing a mate of mine's hdd, which is in pretty bad condition. The drive is littered with bad sectors and can't be read through explorer or cmd in windows. (Windows thinks the partition is RAW, accessing it through cmd gives a CRC error).

However, I've had a lot of success recovering files using testdisk and photorec. Testdisk can actually give me a list of files from the MFT (and I can copy files from it) but when I ask it repair the MFT it fails.

Does anybody know anyway I can repair the MFT at all using Testdisk or whatever really? It would make the recovery a lot faster for me!

Cheers,
    -Zapho

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If the drive has bad sectors , try and clone it first then do the repair on the copy.

If the bad sectors are an indication of a failing drive then it will die, the only question is when. Use hdtune to see what smart says.

you can use ddrescue in linux to copy to a file and mount it as a loop device and try to fix it.

Backup up the partition table first then get testdisk to restore the partition,if you can't read it check what other options / hdd geometries it gives you

you could use fixmbr / fixboot but wouldn't give much hope , try a windows boot disk ( formatted disk with ntdetect.com , boot.ini and ntldr on it )

If one of the bad sectors is at the start of the drive where the partition table resides then game over , HDTUNE can be used to run a surfce scan , this will get the drive to remap bad sectors , but the remapped ones will be a lot slower since the head will have to all the way to the centre of the disk to pick up them, if you are lucky it may help , only do after you have recoverd all the vital data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Thanks for the advice Capt'n!

I've managed to pull a lot of the data of the drive already today, but it was a bit of a pain in the ass, and I'm missing a lot of the filenames, however, the data is intact.

I'll give ddrescue a shot, best that I have a working image to play with rather than a dead drive.

I'd actually completely forgotten about fixmbr. Although, your right, the bad sectors are very near the start of the drive, the first occurs at sector #1400, so I could be screwed here.

I've never heard of HDTUNE but its worth a look. If it can help me recover the MFT, it would be excellent! Isn't there always a back up copy of the MFT on the drive? I know there's always a backup copy of the boot record, why not MFT?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

hdtune is just HDD diagnostics , no data recovery :(

Advertisement