Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuvi for hillwalking?

Options
  • 18-09-2009 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am thinking of getting a GPS but can't decide if I should get a hand held GPS for hillwalking or a car based one. I would need it more for directions in the car but do a bit of hillwalking at weekends so would be nice if I could use the device for both.

So my question: I'm looking at the Nuvi 265W, anyone know if this would be any good for taking walking, finding directions, mapping way-points etc?
    Is there software out there that could be installed to monitor altitude and report your current grid co-ordinates? or are these type of GPS units designed for driving only?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Can't help you with the 265W, but I can tell you a bit about the 250W.
    The 250W is a bog basic unit, but it can monitor altitude, and can provide grid co-ordinates (takes a few button pushes, but it can be done). You can add POIs, or Points Of Interest, to it, but again, takes a bit of doing. Decent sat nav.

Down-side: max. 4 hour battery life!

If that is a problem, then go for a hand-held, as these use standard AA batteries. I usually carry a few extras with me, even though they last for 12 - 16 hours!

The 265W costs about €200(ish), so for a few extra yoyos, you could get a Garmin Legend Hcx (doesn't have an electronic compass or barometric altimeter), and suitable European Maps. Add on a car mount kit, and you can use it for sat nav. Runs fine off cigarette lighter adapter, and batteries when disconnected. No voice though, but that doesn't bother me!

If the hillwalking is occassional, and you only need to switch the sat nav on to get your bearings, and then switch it off again, then perhaps the car version would suit you best.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I have never seen either altitude or Irish Grid on a Nuvi and I've owned a 310 (stolen) and a 250 (current). I'm currently on my third eTrex (legend C) so am familiar with the altitude and Irish Grid support on the eTrex series but to the best of my knowledge the Nuvi doesn't support either, perhaps you'd enlighten us as to how you can get the 250W to display these features?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

250W:
    When you're on the "Where To" - "View Map" screen, press and hold for 5 seconds, the satellite reception bars in the top left corner. This will bring up the satellite info. screen.
    This screen displays what satellites are in view, their signal strength, your location co-ords, your speed, and your elevation.

Hope that helps.

Advertisement