Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electoral system to be investigated

Options
  • 18-09-2009 11:20am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0918/1224254802280.html

A small bit of slightly more positive reading for a change, some good ideas that I like such as getting parish pump politics out of the Dail. I would also be in favour of a drop in the voting age myself.

Of course under no illusions that a Oireachtas committee is any guarantee that positive changes will actually occur, but it is encouraging that a least a few of our elected representatives acknowledge that reform is badly needed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Very interestins. Hopefully we could see something along the lines of the German list system. Its appears that is the way they are thinking from this:
    The committee will consider whether or not proportional representation by means of a single transferable vote in multi-seat constituencies results in an inclusive and fully-representative parliament.

Were they to lean towards a first past the post system they would have mentioned something about government stability.

Marco polo, congrats on the 3,000th post.

Advertisement