Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sailing experience wanted

• 18-09-2009 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Sailing experience wanted.

I have recently taken the competent crew course and would like to gain more experience and sea miles.
    Are there any places in Ireland where you can crew or help out on board in return for lessons?
    I am considering the day skipper course as my next step but in between I would just like to get back out to sea for a few days here and there.
    I would be willing to muck in with all duties.
    Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PjC

Throw up a flyer in any and all local boat clubs, surely be someone lookin for a helpful crew. Most likely only for racing though, which even if your not interested in racing is a great experience.

i take it you talkin bout cruisers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭harrier

Coming towards the end of the sailing season in some places so you might pick up the occasional delivery work as people bring their boats to their over-winter yards. But I reckon race crew is a good way to get introduced to more boating and from their you'll find opportunities for sea miles. Where in the country are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 PPS

Yes was talking mainly about cruisers.
    I live in Meath but don't mind travelling, I usually have a good bit of free time so its no hassle to travel if the right opportunities come up.
    Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

PPS wrote: »
    Yes was talking mainly about cruisers.
    I live in Meath but don't mind travelling, I usually have a good bit of free time so its no hassle to travel if the right opportunities come up.
    Thanks for the advice.

I started crewing this year out of Howth YC, and it's been great. If you have the time, you could place an ad in the Crewfinder section of www.hyc.ie. There are 3 races left in the Autumn League (Sun 04/11 Oct + Sat 17 Oct) and there are usually people looking for crew.

http://www.hyc.ie/crewfinder/default.asp

Advertisement