Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower Pumps

Options
  • 18-09-2009 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

I have very low water pressure into my bathroom and would like to be able to get better pressure when having a shower. the hot press is about 3-4 meters from the bath. The bath tap has a mixer and shower hose... this is where the pressure is very poor.

What shower pump would anyone here recommend to put into the hot press? I am looking for the quietest possible one. I also want to be able to switch it on and off... if it does turn out to be noisy, and we need to use the shower at night, we won't turn it on as it would probably wake the baby, so we'll make do with the crap pressure in that situation.

I have read varying reports about salamander - some people bitch about them saying how noisy they are. I am willing to spend around €400, maybe a bit more on the pump.

Also, what typically would a plumber charge to put one in?

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I have very low water pressure into my bathroom and would like to be able to get better pressure when having a shower. the hot press is about 3-4 meters from the bath. The bath tap has a mixer and shower hose... this is where the pressure is very poor.

What shower pump would anyone here recommend to put into the hot press? I am looking for the quietest possible one. I also want to be able to switch it on and off... if it does turn out to be noisy, and we need to use the shower at night, we won't turn it on as it would probably wake the baby, so we'll make do with the crap pressure in that situation.

I have read varying reports about salamander - some people bitch about them saying how noisy they are. I am willing to spend around €400, maybe a bit more on the pump.

Also, what typically would a plumber charge to put one in?

Thanks a lot

Why not just put in a pumped shower (one with just a pump and no heater)? Would seem to be the sensible & cheapest solution IMO.

If you fit a booster pump and then turn it off, you'll get really crap pressure from it... Also you have to be really careful about where/how its fitted so it doesn't get tripped on by other taps in the house running.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Why not just put in a pumped shower (one with just a pump and no heater)? Would seem to be the sensible & cheapest solution IMO.

If you fit a booster pump and then turn it off, you'll get really crap pressure from it... Also you have to be really careful about where/how its fitted so it doesn't get tripped on by other taps in the house running.

I agree with you on the pumped electric shower but the thing is they dont look good sitting along side a bath shower mixer. It looks more like a practical bathroom than a designed bathroom if you catch my drift.

The problem with a pump is that they all make some noise. A plastic impeller pump(Salamander) makes more noise than a brass impeller pump(Monsoon 1.5 brass bodied pump) There is ways to muffle the noise slightly. You can set the pump on a porceline time and set the tile on the floor. Use silicone to bed the pump to the tile and the tile to the floor. It buffs the noise a bit more. You need to be careful about fitting a pump. If the flow is bad now it will be worse onece the pump is fitted and switched off.

As you note, You only mainly want the pump fitted to the shower.

a salamander 1.5 bar plastic impeller pump is a cheap option

However these are not rated to supply the basin taps and bath taps on a continous bases, Just incase you consider that,

Not to sure where you live but i know someone in dublin who does the

Stuart turner ST55 1.5bar plastic impeller pump for around 300 euro if your interested pm me.

Any more questions just ask.

Advertisement