Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potatoes for Christmas dinner

Options
  • 18-09-2009 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Is it too late to do this now? I've got some organic 'Orla' first earlies which were harvested about ten days ago and left in a tub in the garage.

There are some golf ball-sized ones which I have just put in an egg box on the gargae windowcill. Do I need to put them in the fridge first or is there insufficient time?

I intend putting three in each 80ltr potato planter, in equal parts of manure/soil/compost and then putting them outside and then in the greenhouse say in October / November. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭pops

I would stick them in the fridge for a few days so that they go through their dormant cycle. Then stick them in the soil. Good luck..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

They were in the fridge for a week and have been on the garage windowcill for 4 days but they have gone green. Will they still be alright for sowing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

I've just planted some seed potatoes in containers in the greenhouse. They were my own 'Orla' first earlies which I'd harvested about a month ago.

I put them in the fridge for a week and then on a windowcill for another week but they just turned green and didn't sprout.

I've just sown them now - any opinions on whether they'll be reaqdy for harvesting at Christmas?

Advertisement