Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gun safe in hot press

Options
  • 18-09-2009 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

lads im thinking of fitting my gun safe in the hot press. will this harm the shotguns in any way with the heat or anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Actually should be a benefit to them.Keeping them dry and warm.However your missus might object to her best sheets smelling of gun oil and solvent.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

It'd depend on how 'hot' the hotpress is; modern hotpresses with their highly insulated cylinders and pipes aren't anything like as hot as older installations with a bare copper cylinder and pipes.
    I'd think it mightn't do the woodwork any good, though I'd imagine it'd be great for keeping humidity at bay.

In a modern/up-to-date hotpress, it'd probably be fine; I wouldn't be so sure about an older one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

well its ahouse built last year so it should be a good hot press. think i'l fit it there so save the bother of drilling holes in the wall in my spare bedroom.

of course no matter where it goes dont you know the missus will be giving out!:P

You'd have to have some heat in a hotpress Rovi to start doing the stocks damage.At that stage your clothes would be getting scorched!

Ever wonder why in films of the wild west or such.You would see folks hanging the gun over the mantlepiece of the open fire?? It was not just for convience[would make more sense to keep it by the door],the warmth thru the stones apprently kept the gun and powder charge dry.But wasnt hot enough to be dangerous to the charge .[Or so I'm told.]

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I'm not thinking that they might get scorched or set alight, I'm more thinking of the timberwork drying out to the degree that it might warp and/or split.

I'm sure that'd take years (or even decades) to happen though, so if the guns are used/oiled/looked after reasonably regularly, I don't doubt they'd be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭pedroeibar

Rovi wrote: »
    I'm not thinking that they might get scorched or set alight, I'm more thinking of the timberwork drying out to the degree that it might warp and/or split.

I'm sure that'd take years (or even decades) to happen though, so if the guns are used/oiled/looked after reasonably regularly, I don't doubt they'd be fine.

The level of heat/dryness in either type of hot press should not cause problems to the wood, even if your stock has an oiled rather than varnished finish.
    The important thing is to store the gun(s) barrells down, as oil from the action etc., soaking into the wrist will weaken it (takes years, though.)
    P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Killguru

But they will only be spending 8 hrs of the night in the safe anyway right? :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭derek_g34

stevoman wrote: »
    lads im thinking of fitting my gun safe in the hot press. will this harm the shotguns in any way with the heat or anything?

It might not be the best place to store your ammo :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

pedroeibar wrote: »
    The important thing is to store the gun(s) barrells down, as oil from the action etc., soaking into the wrist will weaken it (takes years, though.)
    Hmmm. DURC's rifles have been stored barrels-up for, um, about twenty years now, in daily use, with fairly regular cleaning and maintenance.

Haven't seen much damage to the stocks in that time. We've had one stock break at the wrist allright, but that's more because it was dropped and that was the weakest point in the stock on the day it was made.

Hard to think that fullbore oil is more damaging than smallbore oil, when it's all the same stuff. Are you sure you're not thinking of stuff like bore cleaner and copper stripper and that sort of tannery effluent that these fullbore lads keep pouring into their rifles? :D

Em... we’re talking about shotguns. ;)
    Shotguns have considerably less wood just in front of the wrist, particularly sidelocks, lots being removed for inletting the locks/sideplates. Boxlocks are weakened by the through-bolt to the back of the action.

Store a gun barrels-up and all oil gravitates into the back of the action. Gun oil is a mineral oil which will first stain and then weaken the wood. It does take a long time (as I said) but many otherwise fine old shotguns are damaged at the rear of the action and in the wrist area by oil soakage. If the wrist breaks the first job to do before the repair is to remove the oil soakage or the glue will not “take”. Even then the wood quality can be too badly damaged to hold a wooden biscuit or pins.
    :DOK?
    P.
    PS - I always thought those bigbore guys used brake fluid and drank the other stuff?

• Advertisement

pedroeibar wrote: »
    Em... we’re talking about shotguns. ;)
    How on earth did I miss that bit? :D
    PS - I always thought those bigbore guys used brake fluid and drank the other stuff?
    No, they pee brake fluid because they use the other stuff.
    :D

Sparks wrote: »
    No, they pee brake fluid because they use the other stuff.
    :D

Hehehehe:D:D:D
    P

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

derek_g34 wrote: »
    Yeah, hotpresses are a known fire risk, so no ammo in there please.

Victor wrote: »
    Yeah, hotpresses are a known fire risk, so no ammo in there please.
    If hotpresses are a known fire risk, shouldn't we ban them from the house instead? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Mr Flibble

derek_g34 wrote: »

Unless you're still using paper cases. (Admittedly very unlikely these days).

In those days we always stored ammo in the hot press, with good reason.

And we never blew the house up.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sparks wrote: »
    If hotpresses are a known fire risk, shouldn't we ban them from the house instead? :D

Burning laundry will take several minutes to spread to the adjoining rooms, burning ammo will take oh, milliseconds.

Packed clothes or material takes ages to burn and needs high temps,it smoldersand smokes alot first..If a fire is at that temp in your hotpress..I wouldnt be too worried about your ammo cooking off...Your house will well and truely be on fire...:eek: .

Not to mind it is a myth that ammo will go richoecting and whanging around the place ,ala old cowboy films where the good guys chuck an ammo belt in the camp fire.All it will do is cook off and explode the shell casing,as it is not confined in a gun barrel..A cylinder of domestic propane gas is more dangerous in a house fire than a box or two of ammo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Originally Posted by Grizzly45

Not to mind it is a myth that ammo will go richoecting and whanging around the place.......

Acording to these guys its the shell cases that would injure a person not the round itself.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cant open the link Ez??:confused:

Shouldn't be a link. Jjust place the cursor on the play button and click. Just tried it myself and its working fine. After that :confused:
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Cant open the link Ez??:confused:
    It's the Mythbusters looking at bullets in campfires, here's a direct link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfoJAwlUopI

Incidentally, they're doing a bunch of firearms stuff on Discovery right now.

Yeah watching it right now.

Originally Posted by Rovi

Incidentally, they're doing a bunch of firearms stuff on Discovery right now.

So all lads with loaded firearms on their back seats can listen to "the best of country" as loud as they like. Good to know.:D

What was that revolver they were blowing off the 'chicken fingers' with, a S&W 500 of some sort?

Pretty messy, whatever it was.

Oh, for the latecomers, it'll be starting again in a few minutes on Discovery +1.
    They're also fooling around with some SKS's.

In fairness, they had to get out some seriously large rounds before their popping in a campfire became a serious hazard. If I'm in a house that's on fire, I'm not going to be overly worried about a tray of .22lr rounds in the middle of the fire.

Mind you, I'd be in a house that was on fire, so frankly, I wouldn't be worrying about very much but not being in that house :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,358 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Still, if you had the option to plan out the location of the safe, it wouldn't be a bad idea to use fireline boards in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Storing the guns in constant dry heat (maybe warmth is a better word) will probably shrink the wood slightly. It is highly unlikely to damage the wood but you might find that the stock bolts go a bit loose. This happened to my rifles when they were stored beside radiator pipes. You would need to check the bolts are tight to avoid possible damage from recoil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

sfakiaman wrote: »
    Storing the guns in constant dry heat (maybe warmth is a better word) will probably shrink the wood slightly. It is highly unlikely to damage the wood but you might find that the stock bolts go a bit loose. This happened to my rifles when they were stored beside radiator pipes. You would need to check the bolts are tight to avoid possible damage from recoil.

I've seen stock bolts loosen from the temp and pressure change from flying. A loose stock bolt can result in your stock cracking during firing. Personaly I wouldn't store guns in too warm an area like a hot press. I keep my gunsafe in the coldest room in the house. As another poster said, store barrels down. As well as the oil running down into the woodwork, it will carry any dirt/dust down into the action which will need stripping down more often for cleaning. Ever stripped an action and seen a small spring fly across the room never to be seen again? Best to avoid stripping as much as possible:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Though it is not really recommended that someone tries this at home, if a shotgun shell is placed in a open fire the plastic will melt and the powder will go phisss (Like a Genie, if some of ye are old enough to remember making them):D

Sometime later normally a matter of minutes the primer will cook off with a bang.

As the plastic on the shell melts the "powder" doesnt get confined so no bang just a phissss

• Advertisement

Ever stripped an action and seen a small spring fly across the room never to be seen again? Best to avoid stripping as much as possible:D
    [/QUOTE]

If you are a smart bear ,if you must strip,you will try and strip trigger mechinsms in a white pillow case..And if you are a really smart bear the area that you do your stripping of fiddley bits will be on a white bed sheet.

Old aircraft mechanics trick.:D

Advertisement