Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What brand of potato doesn't flower when boiled

Options
  • 18-09-2009 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me what type of Potato doesn't go all flowery when boiled. I need it for a recipe for a small child (1.5 yrs). I need them to stay solid. Would Roosters work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Roosters are considered floury potatoes too but I find they hold their shape when boiled. You could try a waxy variety such as Charlotte or Jersey Royals.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I find roosters have a tendency to break up when I boil them but they stay together if I steam them. Those baby potatoes you can get in the supermarket are great for staying in one piece when boiled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Any of the ' waxy ' varities as Toulouse says .

Charlottes are usually available in Tesco . You won't find Jersey Royals until next April I am afraid.

Any potato that is described as a ' salad ' potato is generally ' waxy '.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭NervousNude

What cooking method are you using for the small child?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

What cooking method are you using for the small child?

Lol :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

whites and kerr pinks generally dont go all flowery when boiled....but you might be better off with garden potatoes/baby potatoes.

wouldnt you just mash it up ...baby is only 1.5yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭spudulike

i'm doing a casserole - but the flowery potatoes just go to mush - he much prefers when they are firm and eats more... up to now the new season ones were great - but now they are getting old !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Baby salad potatoes would be perfect then - a bit fiddly to peel but for a child that young you wouldn't have to do many.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Steam em!!!

I pretty much steam all potatoes - it's much easier than boiling and gives better results.

Advertisement