Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noob Gardener question

Options
  • 18-09-2009 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I had a guy in yesterday to level the gardens and spread out the topsoil.
    Im raking it myself today but Im a noob at this!!

When Im raking it do I take out all the little pebbly stones as well as the big ones?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm no expert but we didn't take out all the pebbles - only the bigger stones. I'd imagine you'd need some left for drainage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

I'm no expert but we didn't take out all the pebbles - only the bigger stones. I'd imagine you'd need some left for drainage?

Was hoping youd say something like that!! Was thinking the same thing myself. Did you put anything down when you were seeding it or just the seed itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ImMadAsHell

Read in a similar thread the other day that the stones also help to keep heat in the soil. Its good to leave some stones in, maybe smaller than an inch, larger stones take out the are pain when digging and can damage lawnmowers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Read in a similar thread the other day that the stones also help to keep heat in the soil. Its good to leave some stones in, maybe smaller than an inch, larger stones take out the are pain when digging and can damage lawnmowers etc.

These ones arent even an inch so theyre staying in. Theyre mostly around the top anyway so Ill just spread them out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Did you put anything down when you were seeding it or just the seed itself?

We spread some soil improver over it. Our lawn area is small so we put down roll-out turf and within 3 weeks it looked as though it had been there for years. It's amazing stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement